Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
Gonzoide
Gonzoide began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
OCR already integrated in Nook STR !

I have my Nook STR since last week, and yesterday night I made the most surprising discovery :

I have a PDF which is merely a bunch of scanned pages : scanning artefacts are clearly visible, as well as binder holes, folding marks and so on. I'm pretty convinced the file does not contain any textual information whatsoever.

Anyway, when opening it with my Nook, I got a textual representation, i.e. I managed to search or change font size, and text contained some typical OCR erors that didn't not show on the PC rendering using Acrobat Reader. On top of everything (this finally convinced me), text was reflowable

Am I dreaming it, discovering what everybody already knows or is it a real hidden feature ? Thanks.

Last edited by Gonzoide; 06-24-2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: add comments
Gonzoide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Have you tried doing a search in the PDF on your PC?

Acrobat files can hide OCR text under the image for searching, and it's probable that the STR is just displaying and reflowing that search text.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Gonzoide

Indeed I have, but I couldn't see any meaningful data here ... once again my knowledge of PDF format is quite poor, so I don't know if file can embed both graphical and textual version of same text, and I guess that text data would be compressed and therefore unreadable in a text editor anyway.

I would need some PDF authoring software to be sure, but I don't know is any are publicly available.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Gonzoide

I actually tried extracting text from PDF using Nitro PDF Reader, which couldn't find a single byte worth of information
Old 06-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoide View Post
Indeed I have, but I couldn't see any meaningful data here ... once again my knowledge of PDF format is quite poor, so I don't know if file can embed both graphical and textual version of same text, and I guess that text data would be compressed and therefore unreadable in a text editor anyway.
Yes, the file can include both graphical and text versions.

I wouldn't trust Nitro; try just opening the file in Adobe Reader and searching for something.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
nook, ocr, pdf