Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
mobilis
drowned in old books
mobilis is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Help! How can I move files on Kindle without deleting my notes?

Sometimes, when I'm on the go, I download books from Project Gutenberg via WIFI (on my Kindle Touch) and begin reading them.

Later on, on my comp, I like to rename them something other than pg_randomnumber and move them into folders based on type and author.

When I've done this recently, all of my notes and even the place to which I had read were lost. I don't think that it used to be this way, because I've been organizing folders on it for a long time- but I could be mistaken.

It's not a problem of not renaming the little data folder connected to the ebook, because I used rename in the linux terminal to rename both- i.e., pg111 is renamed to pg11BOOKTITLEHEREbySoAndSo in every instance it occurs in the folder.

Please help me? Is there some way to keep my kindle from becoming a mess, without losing my notes? :?
mobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Notes are kept in a seperate file on K4. Maybe they are the same on K5? I don't see any reason to rename the files.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
mobilis
drowned in old books

No, I mean my annotations and bookmarks and such. I'm sorry, I didn't phrase it well.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There should be an accompanying .mbp file. Just rename that to the same as the book file, except for the file extension, of course, and it should work, unless there is something internal to the file that tells it the original filename. It's worht a try, anyway.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
^That's the one.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You need to make sure both the .sdr folder AND the files inside are renamed.

Code:
ebook.mobi
ebook.sdr/
ebook.sdr/ebook.mbp1
ebook.sdr/ebook.mbs
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
mobilis
drowned in old books

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You need to make sure both the .sdr folder AND the files inside are renamed.

Code:
ebook.mobi
ebook.sdr/
ebook.sdr/ebook.mbp1
ebook.sdr/ebook.mbs
Thank you so much! This finally worked. Bless you. This will make keeping my files organized SO much easier!

Tags
data, files, kindle, kindle touch, rename