Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #16
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I've only read 7 of the ones on the list -- but then I don't claim to be a "serious literature" reader --- just a novel reader. It's nice to see the list though. I'll have to get around to reading The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, and re-reading To Kill a Mockingbird. I was awfully young when I read that, and I probably have different perspectives now. Besides, I don't remember what I read.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #17
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Read 5 maybe 6 of those, not entirely sure, since I might have read some of them in swedish translations before I started to read in english.

But I was a bit surprised to see "Watchmen" on that list though
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Jo,

FYI: I finished _Mars Girl_ and will start on Passage now.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:59 AM   #19
CCLady
Enthusiast
CCLady has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle1, Kindle 3 wi-fi 3G, Kindle basic, Kindle Fire
I've read 20 of the ones on the list (English major, you know). I agree with some of the selections, but. . .Gone with the Wind? What a piece of drivel (and I wish I didn't know so many people who think it's a text book)! Maybe it's me, but I think the American South angst is rather over-represented in general. I get awfully tired of it.

I'm not sure books written in other languages (Lolita, et al) should be included in a list of English language books - so much depends on which translation you have.
CCLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #20
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLady View Post
I'm not sure books written in other languages (Lolita, et al) should be included in a list of English language books - so much depends on which translation you have.
I believe Lolita was written in English by Nabokov, and then translated into other languages, so it would qualify as "English language".

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 10-16-2008 at 02:02 AM. Reason: spelling
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #21
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I've only read 5 of these, but then again I've never really gone out looking for 'Great' books.

Still, there are some interesting books that I'm interested in reading, unfortunately I've got a large To Be Read pile from a splurge at fictionwise
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:24 PM   #22
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
But I was a bit surprised to see "Watchmen" on that list though
I was as well, but when you really look at it, if you ignore the fact that it was graphic novel as opposed to conventional one, its a very deep book, with a lot of layers.

Indeed the art helps to add on even more layers, and I have to say that every time I reread it, something new pops up. but then again, that pretty common with Moor's work. Still I personally like his League books better, as I love the depth of his work and the cross referencing he does.

Still I'm waiting for the Movie, and hoping the do a better job then they did on the League one.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:46 AM   #23
CCLady
Enthusiast
CCLady has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle1, Kindle 3 wi-fi 3G, Kindle basic, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I believe Lolita was written in English by Nabokov, and then translated into other languages, so it would qualify as "English language".

Cheers,
Marc
I had no idea. So I can blame my dislike of it on Nabokov himself, not a translator. Thanks!
CCLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #24
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLady View Post
I had no idea. So I can blame my dislike of it on Nabokov himself, not a translator. Thanks!
Well, you came blame him, but he's not listening anymore.

I've not actually read it myself, but I intend to do so soon (that, and Saul Bellow's The Adventures of Augie March, which also is on the Time list...but I want to read the latter more because of a musical connection than anything else).

Cheers,
Marc
Old 10-17-2008, 05:26 AM   #25
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
There's some there I've heard of but never felt the need to read, such as American Pastoral, The Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird & The Grapes of Wrath, but I do wonder if that's a cultural thing or if I'm just a Philistine! :-)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #26
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Hmm, looks like I read sixteen of them that I can recall, about half of those for school.

And I'll agree the list is oddly skewed. Watchmen in the top 100? Sh'yeah, maybe of graphic novels, not of all English literature. Including it is a form of pandering to genres.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:04 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did not count the number of books in the list, but there may possibly be a mistake. Lord of the Rings is listed as one book when it's actually a trilogy of 3 books. So that may make the list 102 books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #28
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did not count the number of books in the list, but there may possibly be a mistake. Lord of the Rings is listed as one book when it's actually a trilogy of 3 books. So that may make the list 102 books.
Lord of the Rings is actually six "books" compiled into a single "novel". The six "books" are usually (and were originally) compiled into the three physical "books" (volumes) which form the full Lord of the Rings novel, in much the same way as Proust's À la recherche du temps perdu is considered one novel, but is generally provided in its multiple volumes.

While perhaps not 100% consistent in the editorial, the "Complete List" is stated at the top to be "All Time 100 Novels" and "100 Best English-language novels" rather than "books".

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 10-21-2008 at 06:24 PM. Reason: modified for clarity
Old 10-24-2008, 05:00 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Tolkien wanted it to be published as a single volume, but that wasn't practical in post-War Britain, where paper was scarce and printing costs sky-high. It's perfectly reasonable to consider it to be a single book and, as you know, these days it is very often printed in that form.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:02 AM   #30
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I've read 23 of the books on the list, and started a couple more but never finished. And I've seen the movies based on a dozen of those I haven't read.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote