Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
eReader.com Book to Kindle

Ok, with eReader.com shutting down and moving books to BN, I'm in a jam. I currently have 58 books that I have purchased through eReader.com. I would like to be able to eventually read them on my Kindle Keyboard. However, I have no idea how to do this.

So, can anyone provide me a little help? I have never tried to do this before, so I'll need the version for idiots.

Thanks in advance.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Remove DRM (can't help you with that here). Convert with Calibre. Job done.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I downloaded Calibre and while it took me about an hour to get the appropriate plug in, everything is working great. I have converted the first 2 books from eReader. I will be able to save most of my eReader library (had inadvertently purchased some duplicates from Amazon), which in turn will give me lots of reading and save me from purchasing it all over again.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard

Ok, so I just loaded 2 of my books on to my Kindle Keyboard. While they read fine, there are two minor issues.

First, neither book cover is showing up on my Kindle. I used Calibre to get metadata for both books and it let me select a cover. I did so and it shows up fine in Calibre, but not on my Kindle.

Second, there is no indention of the first line of every paragraph in both books.

While neither of these things will keep me from enjoying my books, I would like to fix them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
First, neither book cover is showing up on my Kindle. I used Calibre to get metadata for both books and it let me select a cover. I did so and it shows up fine in Calibre, but not on my Kindle.
I can't help with the indent problem, although I know there's a setting in Calibre for that.

But after you've adjusted the metadata for a book, you have to reconvert it (mobi to mobi, for example) for the metadata changes to show up in the book on your reader.

-becca
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Ok, so I just loaded 2 of my books on to my Kindle Keyboard. While they read fine, there are two minor issues.

Second, there is no indention of the first line of every paragraph in both books.

While neither of these things will keep me from enjoying my books, I would like to fix them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Under convert books-look&feel-check remove spacing between paragraphs-set indent size to(what ever you like)
See calibre help

To get the cover do your covert after you download the cover art.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You'd be better asking Calibre questions in the Calibre forum. More likely to get help there.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
When converting check the "Remove spacing between paragraphs" check box and it should add the indents.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
ucfgrad93
Wizard

Ok, thanks everyone, those 2 problems were solved. I really appreciate all of you helping a total newbie when it comes to this stuff.

I have one other question. When I look at one of the books that I have converted from eReader.com to mobi then again it shows that I have the book in the following formats: PMLZ, Original Mobi, Mobi. I don't think I need 3 copies of the book. The PMLZ format is used by eReader, and since they are closing up shop, I feel I can safely delete that. I would like to delete one of the mobi files but am unsure which one to delete. Obviously, I want to keep the changes that I have done. So, which one should I delete, Mobi or Original Mobi?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Original Mobi. When you do a Mobi->Mobi conversion, the old file gets kept as Original Mobi. If the new file is fine, then you can get rid of it.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
ucfgrad93
Wizard

Thanks, I was thinking that the Original Mobi would be the one to delete, just wanted to verify first.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

BTW - if you have a Kindle Keyboard with the current v3.4 firmware, or any later Kindle model, you'll get better results converting to AWZ3 format rather than Mobi. It's a much "richer" format and supports more complex formatting such as drop caps, embedded fonts, etc.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
The PMLZ format is used by eReader, and since they are closing up shop, I feel I can safely delete that.
Mostly pointless distinction just for clarity: the PMLZ format is what a certain plugin changed the original Secure eReader format (PDB) into upon import to calibre. It's a zipfile containing the images and specialized markup files that made up the original PDB. It's not technically the format used by eReader.

Carry on.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:47 AM   #14
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
It atomaticly starts you after the cover even on purchased kindle books. You have to make an effort to go back to view the cover. I hate it...
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote