Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
mpd123
Zealot
mpd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo / samsung note 10.1
kindle missed a trick ? ?

I have just posted this in another thread on the kindle board but thought it might be more of a general disscussion thing.

do you think amazon should allow the use of epub on their devices?
i am looking to buy a new eink reader and if amazon had epub support i would buy one now.
however the lack of epub puts me off as i have had sony readers and all my library is epub format.

what do you think would amazon sell more units if they handled epub?

cheers, mick.
mpd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd123 View Post
just a thought ,but do you think amazon have missed a trick by not allowing epub on the k4?
i think it might help to sell the device to more people like myself who are in the market for a new reader and have a large collection of epub books.

mick.
Most of Amazon's profit is in ebook sales, the hardware probably only covers their costs, so they would have no interest in people with an existing collection.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No. Amazon have the largest bookstore in the world. They want people to buy their devices to read books from their store. They own their own DRM technology; one of the reasons they are able to pay a 70% royalty to authors is because they aren't having to pay Adobe a fee for each book sold, as they would if they sold books in ePub format using Adobe's DRM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I convert epub to Kindle format via Calibre, doesnt everybody?
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
We could debate whether or not Amazon should include ePub compatibility for eternity ..... and it'll probably be a debate here until they do.

But in the end I can assure you Amazon didn't "miss" anything. Their choice to exclude ePub is quite deliberate and they feel that they're making better profits with the closed wall Kindle/mobi/azw format.

Quote:
I suspect that most regular Mobile Read users do convert formats, or at least they are aware that formats can be converted. The average general user though probably just happily clicks away on the Amazon website.

Don't forget that when those Agency publishers forced Amazon into fixed pricing they were actually giving Amazon more profits per book and since Amazon still holds the largest market share of eBooks they're getting the best results. And it's kind of funny that those higher profits are very likely now subsidizing the lower hardware costs on the Fire/Touch Kindles and really putting pressure on Barnes/Kobo/and Sony
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I hold firm to my belief that the Kindle is only the means to the end. Amazon doesn't care about selling Kindles. They care about selling ebooks. I believe this is why they are so willing to replace a Kindle no matter how it was damaged.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
I dont. I think that pretty much all readers that support ePub support mobi so I dont go out of my way to buy from amazon, remove drm, and convert to epub whenI can just use the mobi
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Let's see I can buy an eBook in the Kindle store or check out any library book from overdrive and read it on:

1. Any Kindle device

2. The iPad and iPhone

3. An Android Phone

4. A Windows Phone

5. A PC

6. A MAC

7. Any device with a Webkit based browser such as Chrome or Safari using Cloud Reader.

Tell me, why do I care about ePub?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Because you are able to choose the most individualized and aesthetically pleasing font to read in. Although soon mobi might support font choices??
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Because you are able to choose the most individualized and aesthetically pleasing font to read in. Although soon mobi might support font choices??
Calibre lets you side load font's onto your kindle.

BOb
Old 10-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Let's see I can buy an eBook in the Kindle store or check out any library book from overdrive and read it on:

1. Any Kindle device

2. The iPad and iPhone

3. An Android Phone

4. A Windows Phone

5. A PC

6. A MAC

7. Any device with a Webkit based browser such as Chrome or Safari using Cloud Reader.

Tell me, why do I care about ePub?

BOb
You probably don't but I want a dedicated reading device to use (without having to connect to the net) so 2-7 are all absolutely useless as options and I prefer an open standard not tied to/owned by a single provider so the response is exactly the reverse...

Why do I care about Kindle??? Different solutions for different people and needs... but that'll not satisfy the "one true solution" brigade so I guess the wars will continue to rumble on...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #12
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I would prefer one unified format, but like those who posted above I can see why Amazon is taking the approach that it is.

I tend to use Mobi most often as I am a Kindle owner, but I do like that sites like Smashwords make it relatively easy to sell in all the major formats, and that Calibre makes it easy to convert between them.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Why do I care about Kindle??? Different solutions for different people and needs... but that'll not satisfy the "one true solution" brigade so I guess the wars will continue to rumble on...
So, that is what I would ask you. If you care about ePub why do you care about Kindle? You probably don't. A Sony or Kobo or Nook is probably the device you want.

BOb
Old 10-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #14
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I think Amazon can pretty much do what they want in terms of format internally, and just show the user "Kindle format", and not miss a beat.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #15
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
They should sell them as plain text files, that way they could be read on anything
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote