Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-29-2007, 10:36 AM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
As long as it still takes stylus input -- I use that too much to trade it for any other feature, even lighting.
The light panel might have to be of a different material, to stand up to the wear, but I should think that a Wacom panel would work through plastic ... I just tested it through cardboard on my Tablet PC, and it works fine through that.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I would imagine the light would come with an off switch if you don't want to waste battery life on it. Yes, we know paper books don't have lights. One of the great things about technology and innovation is that we can actually improve on the way things used to be.
Perhaps Watcha would prefer to go back to candles and lanterns. That is the way real paper books were lighted in the past. What do people want to remain in the past so much?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:55 AM   #18
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Perhaps Watcha would prefer to go back to candles and lanterns. That is the way real paper books were lighted in the past. What do people want to remain in the past so much?
Hey you're in sunny Ca, what about the person who lives in the long near total dark of arctic winter?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:45 PM   #19
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Hey you're in sunny Ca, what about the person who lives in the long near total dark of arctic winter?
Whale blubber lamps!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:16 PM   #20
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Whale blubber lamps!

Derek
Good one!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:55 PM   #21
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Here's an idea ala citing the power-consumption issue... If the developers are smart and actually think about applicable usage and longevity of the device, they would have the lighting portion of the device drawing power from an secondary source aside from the source driving the device. The benefits here would be that the device could continue operation for a much longer period after the lighting portion drains the battery (which would probably happen pretty darn quickly if used for extended periods even using LED's). They could even go further by making the display's battery user-replaceable, even if it is some proprietary battery, that way they can carry a spare.

Just my two cents!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:25 PM   #22
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
How quickly is quickly? I mean, the Ebookwise gets over twenty hours on a charge, and it's running both the LCD screen and the light (which, given this is 1999 tech, isn't likely LED). There's no reason eInk plus LED light shouldn't get forty or fifty hours of reading with a light.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:46 AM   #23
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
How quickly is quickly? I mean, the Ebookwise gets over twenty hours on a charge, and it's running both the LCD screen and the light (which, given this is 1999 tech, isn't likely LED). There's no reason eInk plus LED light shouldn't get forty or fifty hours of reading with a light.
I really don't know how ebookwise 1150 lighting technology works. My best guess is it could be using electroluminesence like in in indiglo watches. Except by increasing the voltage to the panel it increases the brightness making it look slightly offwhite at the brightest and a slightly greenish color on the lowest setting. Normally small handhelds or pdas generate a whinning sound when the backlight is on, but the ebookwise doesn't because the battery has enough voltage it does not need a converter, hence no sound.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:41 AM   #24
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
How about bioluminescence? Just feed your reader something.

When I was a kid I thought a torch (flashlight) was pretty cutting edge so I would hide under the blankets when I was supposed to be sleeping and keep reading by torchlight. The Hardy Boys, Biggles, Secret Seven, Famous Five and so on. Loved it.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:28 AM   #25
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
How about bioluminescence? Just feed your reader something.
Beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
When I was a kid I thought a torch (flashlight) was pretty cutting edge so I would hide under the blankets when I was supposed to be sleeping and keep reading by torchlight. The Hardy Boys, Biggles, Secret Seven, Famous Five and so on. Loved it.
I did the same and am sure others here did, too. There was something special about doing something fun that was just slightly defiant.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:46 PM   #26
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I used to read by the light in the hall.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #27
zandor
zandor is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook G3 (in order)
cmon guys, just hook up your current light when you are reading in the dark.

me, when im reading a book in bed, i use a 2 LED flashlight. Not too much light, so my girlfriend can sleep. with an ebook is just the same, ik reckon.

Last edited by zandor; 11-04-2007 at 04:06 PM.
zandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #28
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Yeah, this is how I do it too. I go camping a lot so I have a little LED headlamp that I use for this, but any little light would do.

I guess it's a matter of taste--as long as the light could be switched off, and didn't add too much to the cost, weight or bulk, I wouldn't mind it, but it's not what I would buy a reader for.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #29
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I like the lighting, I think, unless it's a battery hog. But I'm curious about what people think about the flexible displays: why would you want one and what would you do with it? If it's flexible, that implies it's unsupported and will be subject to being folded or kinked or otherwise mangled. Does someone have a good idea how such a thing would be practical and why it would be better than a rigid display? Just curious.
Well, personally I would like a reader that was like a sheet of regular 8 1/2 by 11 (A4?) paper, folded in half. When it's closed the screen and controls are protected from bumps and scratches, when it's open it can be read like a book, two pages at a time, or the user has the option of displaying two different things on the facing pages (to compare different accounts of the same event side-by-side, for instance, or look at an illustration while reading the text that explains it). And as a final option, it can be opened out flat and turned 90 degrees and it can display standard pdfs in the original size. A flexible display would fit into that kind of folding reader, without having to break the 8 1/2 by 11 option up at the "hinge."

Just a thought.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:55 AM   #30
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'm not that excited because there already is a "Light Wedge" product. That concept seems really easy to integrate into an e-reader. It only needs a scratch-resistant top coating versus the stand-alone product available now. I do agree front lighting should be integrated and right now!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote