Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #61
martinjh99
martinjh99 began at the beginning.

Device: Google Nexus 7
Yeah thanks Jimmy nice little plugin - Was looking for something to make it easier to read longer stories from Fanfiction.net

Cheers Mate
Old 01-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #62
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
FanFictionDownLoader Version 1.3.1

I'm again looking for some people to beta test the attached newest version before I put it out for everyone.

This version contains:
  • New feature: Fill Custom Columns with Story Metadata. Look in Config to set it up.
  • New feature: Collect and update Series column.
  • Improved drag-and-drop of URLs onto the Add New URL text box. Dragging URLs in adds now instead of replaces, and copies the URL, not the pretty text.
  • Added a 'show this again' checkbox to the dialog for reviewing updates before applying them. When unchecked, updates will be applied immediately if there were no problems.
  • Added a progress bar while applying updates, which can be lengthy.
  • Don't disable menu items(like update) when there are no books selected. It broke the keyboard shortcut if the menu hadn't rebuilt since books were selected.
  • Make the FanFictionDownLoader button (which does add or update, depending on whether books are selected) available for keyboard shortcut.
  • Fix date change for adastra.
  • Fix URL pattern, metadata collection for SIYE.
I appreciate your feedback.

Adding Series support turned out to be easier than I expected and there's not been a lot of testing on this yet, so I rolled it into 1.3.1.

(Look at the personal.ini config tab if you don't want the series column to update, but you do want other calibre Metadata updated.)

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited by JimmXinu; 03-05-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #63
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
This version contains:
  • New feature: Fill Custom Columns with Story Metadata. Look in Config to set it up.
  • New feature: Collect and update Series column.
Second new feature added to the most recent beta now. FYI.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #64
x85849
x85849 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone, LookBook, Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
New feature: Fill Custom Columns with Story Metadata. Look in Config to set it up.
Thank you for this feature. I just started using this plugin and was trying to figure a way to fill the rating info into a custom column in calibre. Lo and behold you updated the plugin with just that feature. Thank you.

The copy to custom column feature seems to work well with the stories I pulled from fanfiction.net. At first it did not appear to work with the rating setting, however I realized that the issue was that my custom column was using a "text, but with a fixed set of permitted values" field and I did not have all of the story ratings in my list. I created a new column of just text and it imported the rating just fine after that.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #65
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

@x85849 - You're quite welcome.
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #66
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
And here I thought I'd have to fill out my custom columns manually from the data in the tags. I love this new feature. The series feature is nice too, at least for those sites that have series. It's too bad that FFN doesn't. Still, I am very pleased with this plugin.

Good work!
Old 01-30-2012, 01:09 AM   #67
jackr
Connoisseur
jackr has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook STR, Pocket eDGe
Amazing work! Solved a number of things on my to do list .

I don't know if the actual site adapter is the problem, but fimfiction.net doesn't split "My Little Pony" off into Category and the genre tags off into the Genre section.

And pardon me if this is a noob question , but can the progress windows be placed inside the jobs section instead? I have a large list of fanfics now that I regularly check for updates, and I can't go off and do something else in Calibre until the metadata downloading is finished.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #68
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackr View Post
Amazing work! Solved a number of things on my to do list .
Glad you like it.

Quote:
I don't know if the actual site adapter is the problem, but fimfiction.net doesn't split "My Little Pony" off into Category and the genre tags off into the Genre section.
I didn't write the fimfiction.net adapter myself, but that should be easy to fix.
Quote:
And pardon me if this is a noob question , but can the progress windows be placed inside the jobs section instead? I have a large list of fanfics now that I regularly check for updates, and I can't go off and do something else in Calibre until the metadata downloading is finished.
Metadata download runs in the foreground so it can stop and ask for user/pass if needed and check the existing book vs the site. I'll think about it, but I don't see that changing.

IMO, you should use the email notifications from the sites to inform you when your stories are updated. Using this to poll them all everyday seems rather wasteful to me and inflates the stories' hit counts.

Jim
Old 01-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #69
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Version - archiveofourown.org

Version 1.3.2 - 30 Jan 2012
New site: archiveofourown.org -- Thanks for Ida Leter for implementing this.
Change fimfiction.net to use genre instead of category.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #70
jackr
Connoisseur

Thank-you for the fix . I wish I found this sooner , but I found another issue. I am not sure what is going on, but for my fimfiction.net fics that had updates in Jan, the year is set at 2011 instead of 2012. Not sure if the fimfiction forgot to roll over the year or not :P.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #71
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
I am not sure what is going on, but for my fimfiction.net fics that had updates in Jan, the year is set at 2011 instead of 2012. Not sure if the fimfiction forgot to roll over the year or not :P.
Oh, it's worse than that. fimfiction doesn't give the year anywhere so we left it hardcoded to 2011. We can at least do better than that.

Somebody might want to suggest to the fimfic people that they add a year before Jun, when their oldest story is dated.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #72
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

@jackr - There's a new version, 1.3.3, that handles the fimfic dates better, but not perfectly. Now it assumes "this year", unless that date would be in the future, then it subtracts a year.

Until fimfiction.net adds the year, that's as good as it's going to get.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:46 AM   #73
jackr
Connoisseur

Thanks for the update! I sent a request to the creator of fimfiction asking if a year could be added.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #74
leistnerm
leistnerm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, Blackberry
Any chance of getting any of the following sites supported?

http://www.fanficauthors.net/
http://www.hpfanficarchive.com/
http://thequidditchpitch.org/
http://www.phoenixsong.net/
http://restrictedsection.org/
http://www.mugglenet.com/
http://checkmated.com/
http://mvsfiction.com/
http://sugarquill.net/

... or any documentation on how you go about creating a new site adapter? I can scrape web pages easily enough in C# or similar languages, but don't have much experience with Python.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #75
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leistnerm View Post
Any chance of getting any of the following sites supported?
It's unlikely that I'm going to write adapters for them. But we're happy to accept other people's code to support new sites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leistnerm View Post
... or any documentation on how you go about creating a new site adapter? I can scrape web pages easily enough in C# or similar languages, but don't have much experience with Python.
There's been a recent discussion about "Writing adapters" on the Google group:

http://groups.google.com/group/fanfi...3091e8dd61e961

I suggest you start there.

Jim
Closed Thread