Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
vmsda
Enthusiast
vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.

Device: Pocketbook
PB622 : library reorg, access, etc

I have taken possession of the new toy, and have a couple of beginner questions:

1. The library has quite a few folders and/or books that do not interest me in the least. To save space and simplify things, can I simply delete them?

2. If I install a micro sd card, how will it be mounted by the system?

2. It seems that anyone can power on the device and have access to the whole contents, since no userid and pwd were required. In the pc world, being a Linux user, I was not a little surprised. Any hints?

Thanks in advance for help.
vmsda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
1) You can delete ebooks. It is safest to do so using the Library app rather than deleting over the USB connection. That way, the device's ebook database stays in sync automatically. People have had trouble in the past by deleting every ebook via USB and then having the device hang when starting (at least on older devices). Note that the Library app can delete whole directories and their contents at once.

2) I'm not sure what you're asking. Within the device's OS, the SD card gets mounted at /mnt/ext2. The internal filesystem that gets exported by USB is mounted at /mnt/ext1. You can see that if you install a terminal app, or one of the networked terminals (utelnetd, sshd,...). Externally, via USB Mass Storage, the internal and SD card filesystems show up separately. The SD card needs to have a FAT filesystem. You can get the device to format it correctly for you (somewhere in the Settings/Maintenance menus).

3) You can set up user profiles on the device so that multiple users can configure it to their own tastes. I've never used that feature myself, so I don't know if there is any password protection there, or if it extends to the ebooks themselves. I doubt it, but maybe someone else can say. I haven't seen any e-ink device yet that uses a login to restrict access.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
vmsda
Enthusiast
vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.

Device: Pocketbook
Thank you for your prompt reply, Rkomar. As for the security issue, the only possibility I see is protecting the "Settings" via a password, but the rest - like deleting books and/or folders - seems fair game for anyone who pushes the power-on button. There is no need to enumerate dozens of reasons to illustrate the fact that this is really unacceptable.
vmsda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Well, if someone has your device in their hands, they can pull the SD card out and read it anywhere else. Also, since the reader is a UMS device (like an external hard drive), the contents can be got at that way, too. So, protecting the contents within the reader itself seems like a waste of effort.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote