Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #16
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
....so has anyone been brave enough to try the upgrade?

-Jeff
Oh, nothing to be scared of here. Installing the firmware update was a non event! Just make sure your Cybook battery is not sitting on empty and you might want to disable your antivirus, firewall and spyware apps while you do it (I didn't, but I imagine those things could potentially muck some things up)
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
My built-in media card reader just crapped out!!! I mean, it was like, working fine to move the update_kernel to the SD card and when I went to remove the SD card from the Cybook and return it to the card reader, the SD card didn't get recognized. So I pulled my CF card from my dSLR and tried it. That wasn't recognized either - not even a flicker of the green LED when I inserted either of those or of one of my spare SD cards. DOA!
You should be able to mount your device and move the file over that way. A card reader should not be required.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #18
alia
Bookworm
alia began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Wasn't one of the new features going to be increased contrast? I mean I like the current contrast, but I thought I read that somewhere. Could be mistaken though...
alia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerich27 View Post
Download the upgrade file by clicking on the "Download" button.
Extract the content of the downloaded zip file.
You should get a file “update_kernel”; this is the firmware upgrade utility.
Copy the file “update_kernel” to the root of an SD card.
They require you to have an SD card to update your firmware? That doesn't seem right.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, I don't believe so. The contrast is a feature of the screen's hardware.

There is an option to use bold fonts - that increases the contrast.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
They require you to have an SD card to update your firmware? That doesn't seem right.

BOb
It makes it completely platform-independent. Far better (IMHO) than the way the Sony Reader does updates - via a Windows program.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It makes it completely platform-independent. Far better (IMHO) than the way the Sony Reader does updates - via a Windows program.
Better, perhaps if you have an SD card. But, couldn't they support putting the new firmware on the internal memory?

BOb
Old 05-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The internal memory is what's being re-flashed. Perhaps there are technical issues with doing it that way? Just a guess.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Could those people who were experiencing problems (any problems at all) please let us know ASAP if this firmware update has fixed them, please?
Old 05-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #25
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Ensures the user *KNOWS* s/he is performing an update. It can't be "accidentally" done by uploading the kernel image to the Cybook's memory.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Ensures the user *KNOWS* s/he is performing an update. It can't be "accidentally" done by uploading the kernel image to the Cybook's memory.

Derek
Sure, but putting the same files in a folder on the internal memory and following the same procedures and you would "know" that you were performing the update.

BOb
Old 05-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #27
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Well I did it! and on a Mac... No problem whatsoever, and it definitely goes faster for turning pages.

I hope my gurus find more hidden improvment!!!

Regards

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieP View Post
I take it that page numbers aren't one of the things included... *disappointed*
Page numbers are not part of the Mobipocket format. So unless Bookeen are going to deviate from the norm, it won't happen which I think is the case.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #29
StephanieP
StephanieP has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Page numbers are not part of the Mobipocket format. So unless Bookeen are going to deviate from the norm, it won't happen which I think is the case.
Hmm, then isn't it kind of strange to have a goto page function? *confused* I figured if they have a goto page function, then they would eventually implement a way to determine page numbers.

Oh well, it just would have been helpful, not like it's something I need. Besides, if it's true the update allows for faster page flipping, then that should help some. And so long as they've fixed the bookmarking issue it shouldn't be an issue.

Anyhow, I've never read mobipocket before (it's not very compatible with my mac, which is the only device I tend to use for reading e-books). I'm new to all this, and my Cybook hasn't arrived for me to try it out.

I'm just surprised since all the other readers have some form of page number. I didn't think it would be all that hard to configure page numbers or at least a percentage on the progress bar. But as I've mentioned I'm new to all this. Even if they never add page numbers, that won't stop me from wishing for them.

Why are page numbers not supported by mobipocket format?
StephanieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:23 PM   #30
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Page numbers have been discussed ad naseum in numerous threads spread around this forum. Might I suggest you review this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=page+numbers

or this one:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=page+numbers

You can set an option to see a progress bar at the bottom of the page that will give you a relative view on where your are in the book.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote