Notices

Old 07-24-2011, 04:26 AM   #1
mst
Connoisseur
mst began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Calibre install error

Hi, When updating Calibre, I get the following error:

The feature you are trying into use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again or enter an alternative path to a folder containing the installation package "calibre 0.7.46.msi" in the box below.

Then, if I search for the package on my HD, I cannot find it. When I hit cancel, the installer updates as usual. Is this a problem, and is there a way to fix it?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre error.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	74763  
mst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:00 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
Thread moved, read this sticky post before posting in the Development sub-forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mst View Post
is there a way to fix it?
You can get a copy of calibre-0.7.46.msi here.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
hey, that was my fault, reported 2 days ago, except that I was asked for 0.8.7. it's the exact same error message, 'cept for file name & the same behaviour

downloading old installers is not going to diagnose what's gone wrong with the latest installer process.

the installer has no right to be deleting old versions of msi anyway without seking permission, surely ???
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
downloading old installers is not going to diagnose what's gone wrong with the latest installer process.
It happened to me once about a half a year ago. It happened to you two this week. I'm not sure two out of a 100 thousand plus is a trend. If your able to repeat it submit a bug report.

Quote:
the installer has no right to be deleting old versions of msi anyway without seking permission, surely ???
What makes you think it is going to delete the old version? After the next update, when you know for sure one way or the other let us know, until then avoid spreading rumors.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well i repeated it 2 or 3 times, with 8.11, 8.10 & maybe with 8.9

2 users, 2 PCs,

& actually you + us two makes a grand total of 3, not 2, out of 10,0000.....

just 2 points define a line & I see the start of a trend.....

the installer code needs an inspection, methinks

anyway...

can't be A***d to do bug reports, but answer this, where's the logic in having the installer look for old versions. many folks. me included keep those - just in case- but store them on a different drive, as backups.

anyway, when I do next weeks update, & i'll give it the path to my archived 0.8.7. & let you know what it does with the info.

the only other procedural change for me, is that I click "open" on the download complete options in Internet Download manager, rather than navigate to my download folder & double click the .msi. that should not be the cause though

Last edited by cybmole; 07-24-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I suspect that is nothing actually built into the installer itself, but just an artifact of the Microsoft install sub-system that the installer uses. For some reason a pointer to an earlier install has ended up being stored somewhere in the registry and until this is cleared you keep getting the message.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I suspect that is nothing actually built into the installer itself, but just an artifact of the Microsoft install sub-system that the installer uses. For some reason a pointer to an earlier install has ended up being stored somewhere in the registry and until this is cleared you keep getting the message.
that is the most likely explanation. I was distracted my Kovid's insistence that calibre does not use registry but I guess the installer does.

I ill try to outwit it on the next upgrade then hopefully the issue will go away.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I know there is a Microsoft tool that can be used to cleanup remnants of install packages; however, for the life of me, I can't remember it's name!

AH.. Found it, but Microsoft has retired it

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/micros...leanup-utility
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I know there is a Microsoft tool that can be used to cleanup remnants of install packages; however, for the life of me, I can't remember it's name!

AH.. Found it, but Microsoft has retired it

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/micros...leanup-utility
don't worry. I plan to beat it next time around!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:22 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
It happened to me once about a half a year ago. It happened to you two this week. I'm not sure two out of a 100 thousand plus is a trend. If your able to repeat it submit a bug report.

What makes you think it is going to delete the old version? After the next update, when you know for sure one way or the other let us know, until then avoid spreading rumors.
OK - what made me think that - well it requests the file after saying it is entering "remove backups" phase...

anyway - this weeks test.. sure enough it wanted 0.8.7. again ( in 8.12 install), but this time I was expecting the request & had 0.8.7. on desktop....

....well you were right - it used it but did NOT delete it.

BUT does this mean I can never get rid of 0.8.7. or will next weeks installer not needed it now that I satisfied the one-off file request ? I guess I will find out next week, but what happened after you did this fix, did you keep old installer in default directory , or were you able to get rid of it ?
Old 07-30-2011, 02:46 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
BUT does this mean I can never get rid of 0.8.7. or will next weeks installer not needed it now that I satisfied the one-off file request ? I guess I will find out next week, but what happened after you did this fix, did you keep old installer in default directory , or were you able to get rid of it ?
I didn't purposefully keep the old installer around. I don't believe it will ever be needed again. I regularly install with the installer in one directory then move it to another after install. Looking for an old installer isn't normal, I don't know why this happened to me that one time.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:19 AM   #12
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I never bother holding onto installers, msizap will do the trick on the rarest of times you hit this situation. As to how it happens, is it not the case that if you run some kind of disk cleanup utility with an aggressive setting that it will purge the windows copy of the installer, and that is what causes the issue?

And in case there was any misunderstandings above, it is nothing to do with calibre that an install process requires uninstalling the previous version using the previous installer copy that windows secrets away. That is just how the msi installer process works in windows for all applications, not specific to calibre. That you are being prompted from a missing installer file means something about your windows setup has been screwed up IMHO.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There was an interesting post over at the SysInternals web site --> http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussi...2/3442328.aspx describing how the author solved an MSI issue.

Solution does call for some usage of the excellent SysInternal tools and some registry tweaking... so your mileage might vary.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I never bother holding onto installers, msizap will do the trick on the rarest of times you hit this situation. As to how it happens, is it not the case that if you run some kind of disk cleanup utility with an aggressive setting that it will purge the windows copy of the installer, and that is what causes the issue?

And in case there was any misunderstandings above, it is nothing to do with calibre that an install process requires uninstalling the previous version using the previous installer copy that windows secrets away. That is just how the msi installer process works in windows for all applications, not specific to calibre. That you are being prompted from a missing installer file means something about your windows setup has been screwed up IMHO.
your explanation fails the logic test. I run the same cleanups ( CCLeaner) every week, and I install every new calibre version, so why did I stick on needing 0.8.7. ( not 0.8.8., 0.8.9, 0.8.10... all of which has been installed after 0.8.7. ) & why did the OP stick on needing 0.7.46

Ccleaner is very reliable in my experience, it does NOT remove anything that it shouldn't
Old 08-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #15
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
your explanation fails the logic test. I run the same cleanups ( CCLeaner) every week, and I install every new calibre version, so why did I stick on needing 0.8.7. ( not 0.8.8., 0.8.9, 0.8.10... all of which has been installed after 0.8.7. ) & why did the OP stick on needing 0.7.46
I believe that the way the MSI system works if you ever get into the state where it thinks a particular version is needed as part of upgrading to a newer version then it will continue to think that version is required until the issue has been cleared. As to why it thought that particular version was required I have no idea
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote