Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-22-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
slug
slug began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
USB Transfer Speed

I am curious to know what kind of transfer speeds others are getting
when sending files over the USB connection to the Kindle?

According to Amazon, the Kindle uses USB 2.0. However, I have
experienced very slow data transfer rates when transfering files over
the USB connection. For example, I transfered a 50 MB mp3 and it took
10-12 minutes. I tried this from a PC (running Windows XP) and from a Mac (running OS X 10.5 and another unning OS X 10.4) with similar,
slow results. I have also transferred the file to the built-in memory
and to an SD card. Again, same slow transfer speeds in both cases.
By way of comparison, I transfered the same mp3 to an iPod and it took
about 10 seconds to tranfer.

I contacted Amazon Kindle support and, after checking with the developers, they reported back to me that the transfer speeds I am seeing are as expected for the device.

I'm not very happy with this answer as these speeds are worse than you would get with even a USB 1.1 device.

I asked this question on a different forum and one owner reported that he was able to transfer 50 MB in about 40 seconds. It seems very strange to get such a wide variance in transfer speeds for two different Kindles.

I would be very interested to hear from someone who is getting faster transfer speeds.

Thanks for any input.
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
purduepeterson
purduepeterson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Having same basic problem. Extremely slow transfer speeds using Vista and Kindle 2. Sometimes transfer speed will show 0 bytes/sec, other times 3-4 bytes/sec.

I did try a soft-reset of the Kindle 2, but that did not help.
purduepeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Are you using a USB hub? Sometimes hubs and USB devices interact negatively.

I've used my Kindle 1 and 2 with a Mac Pro and saw much better transfer rates than you are reporting but I was plugged directly into the Mac Pro.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
phraje
phraje began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
On Windows XP, my Kindle 2 shows up as a removable disc, but no directories are visible and I can't copy anything onto it. On Windows 7, I see the directories and can copy content, but it's only getting 2.28KB/sec, when it's transferring at all.

It took two hours to transfer 7.5MB in 21 books downloaded from manybooks.net. a 4.9MB MP3 is currently at the 22 minute mark, and isn't even 50% complete.

I'm not using any USB hubs. I'm hooked directly to the onboard USB.
phraje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have any of you with slow USB speeds tried a different USB port on your computer or even a different computer?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phraje View Post
On Windows XP, my Kindle 2 shows up as a removable disc, but no directories are visible and I can't copy anything onto it. On Windows 7, I see the directories and can copy content, but it's only getting 2.28KB/sec, when it's transferring at all.

It took two hours to transfer 7.5MB in 21 books downloaded from manybooks.net. a 4.9MB MP3 is currently at the 22 minute mark, and isn't even 50% complete.

I'm not using any USB hubs. I'm hooked directly to the onboard USB.
First thing I suggest: try another USB cable. If that doesn't fix things...

I'd suggest taking your Kindle to another computer. Every so often folks get USB flash drives with bad FLASH chips that produce incredibly poor write speeds and need to have their USB flash drive replaced. The Kindle isn't immune to this kind of failure. If your Kindle is slow with the other system then likely your Kindle has issues.

Last night I transfered about 150MB of titles from Fictionwise onto my Kindle 1 and Kindle 2 (the big re-sync) via USB and it only took a couple minutes for each Kindle to swallow everything (several hundred titles).
Old 02-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I have the same problems with the Kindle. In transferring my files from Calibre to the Kindle via the USB cable, it takes several minutes whereas the Sony transfer is much shorter.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
scotty1024
Banned

OK, I think I figured it out.

I've only hooked my Kindle 2 up via USB to a Mac Pro at home.

At Home I'm not running 10.4 or 10.5.

At Work I'm running 10.5.

I hooked up the Kindle 2 via USB to my Mac Pro at work and all hell broke loose.

The culprit is Spotlight. It is sucking down all your Kindle's bandwidth creating a Spotlight index of all the content on the Kindle. I'm researching how to club Spotlight over the head and keep it off the Kindle but for now it's definitely a problem (unless you aren't using 10.4 or 10.5).

UPDATE: Go to the Spotlight control panel's Privacy tab and drag the Kindle's icon from Finder into the panel. This will create a file on the Kindle that marks it as "Do No Spotlight This Device!" If you ever notice a directory on the Kindle named .Spotlight-V100 don't delete it! That's where the file is stored, in that directory.

Last edited by scotty1024; 03-02-2009 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Update on how to disable spotlight on the Kindle
Old 03-21-2010, 05:55 AM   #9
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I have the same problem but on windows 7. it could be the indexing service. not sure

trying to search for a it further..
rollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
On my pc it is somewhat slow...however on my laptop it's pretty fast.

I use calibre on both..the pc is windows xp and is nearly 5 years old. the laptop is on ubuntu and is two years old....it's like night and day.

I think calibre tends to work much better under linux..
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
stanhin
stanhin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs 600
Solution

I was about to drive myself crazy with the slow speed of the USB transfer cable. Finally, I figured it out. Download the book instantly from the internet into Calibre. Then download it instantly from Calibri onto an SD media card you just stick into the proper slot in your computer. Then, stick the media card into the Sony reader, and, instantly, you are reading. Of course, these memory cards can hold 2 gigabytes and up of data, depending on which one you buy, so you can store thousands of books on them, and then erase them and start over after you have read those thousands of books. I'm burning that damn USB cable.
stanhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanhin View Post
I was about to drive myself crazy with the slow speed of the USB transfer cable. Finally, I figured it out. Download the book instantly from the internet into Calibre. Then download it instantly from Calibri onto an SD media card you just stick into the proper slot in your computer. Then, stick the media card into the Sony reader, and, instantly, you are reading. Of course, these memory cards can hold 2 gigabytes and up of data, depending on which one you buy, so you can store thousands of books on them, and then erase them and start over after you have read those thousands of books. I'm burning that damn USB cable.
Uh. You're in a thread about the Kindle...
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #13
DaveSp
Enthusiast
DaveSp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire
Out of curiousity, I gave it a try and transfered 50MB of mp3 files to my K3 in 20 seconds. Using a laptop with Windows 7, doing a copy and paste. Going the other way, I copied a 117MB file from the K3 to the laptop at just over 11MB/sec.

Dave

Last edited by DaveSp; 01-21-2011 at 08:42 PM.
DaveSp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #14
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
They probably use class2/4 memory so...
you'll get around 2-4mb/s sustained transfers.

Make sure you are using usb 2.0 (enable it in bios), update your chipset/usb drivers.
Plug the device directly into the motherboard, don't use a front panel port (lots of cases use cheap low-quality cables), and don't use a non-powered hub like a keyboard or monitor usb port.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #15
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
I connected my K3 to old desktop (I believe 4 years old or so) with Vista and two new laptops with W7 and in all three cases USB transfer is very fast, no problems at all. Since all three, even that old one, have a high-end hardware in them, it must be a computer issue, I don't think Kindle is to blame.
In the other hand, I use all computers for work, so there are no games or bunch of suspicious freeware or something like that installed, so my OSes are as clean as they can be. If my 4-year old PC works well I'd attribute slow USB to a software. Althought there are so many different computers out there, it's hard to tell just like that where'e the problem.
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote