Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #46
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Thanks for all the very rapid feedback to queries from the obviously happy PB360 users. Every query I've raised has had positive feedback, and I'm getting oh so close to pushing that order button - the EU (German) site is up and running and accepting orders - so tempting...
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #47
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
have downloaded lots of M.C.Escher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._C._Escher) images, converted them to appropriate format and now, every time my PB shuts down I have different lovely graphics on the screen. (NOT some long dead authors like E-book device I shall not name ;-) )
What resolution and size did you choose? I want to put an MR screensaver on mine put am not too sure what looks the best
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #48
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
What resolution and size did you choose? I want to put an MR screensaver on mine put am not too sure what looks the best
I scoured the net, found my favorite images is as big as possible resoultion. Then I resized the images in Gimp. Some I have cropped, for some images I have made white background on sides, others I have re-sampled ...
I was to lazy to scan the book I own ;-)

The result was images in greyscale, 600x800 pixels big. Then I used Imagemagick command 'convert' to make images use 3 bits gray and saved them in bmp. You can use paint program in Windows, I think
I can post convert command later from different comp.
Then I uploaded the images into /system/logo directory, and I choose "random image" from "shutdown logo" menu.

see here
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...0f3848469d2fcd
for more backgrounds.

I use this one http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6749/71567575vi8.png as a startup screen.
I says:
THE MORE BOOKS
YOU WILL READ -
THE LESS VODKA
YOU WILL IMBIBE (*)

(*) original uses word "zhrat" - which means "to eat or drink heavily in strongly pejorative tone"
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #49
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am thinking about making a MobileRead startscreen and screensaver and hosting it here with how to instructions. Maybe host some more of those graphic screen sets. Anyone interested in this?

We could open an extra thread and host just the graphics and descriptions!

BTW, I use Gimp myself (as I said earlier, no Winpartition by choice)

Would you like to post your pictures, too (only CC and PD ones here, of course!)

Last edited by mtravellerh; 11-30-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #50
mtravellerh
book creator

Here are those comic screenshots. Looks quite okay in the original but I think the quality can be improved with a bit of manual work. Using photoview with single pics and Zoom had better quality, but it is not as comfy as using PDFs. Still doable, though. No screenshots possible with pic viewer, sorry!

Here my PDFs:

Click image for larger version

Name:	comic.png
Views:	368
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	40448Click image for larger version

Name:	comic2.png
Views:	367
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	40449

From Buccaneers 19 from the Comic Books Archive. Viewing a page in landscape view is big enough to comfortably read the text. Blowing the comic up to double size with 2 column view didn't really help! I converted cbr->PDF with Calibre. That's quick and painless!

Last edited by mtravellerh; 11-30-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #51
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
If you go to settings/about device you can click "more" which gives you the info

(screen shot wouldn't work for me for that page, sorry)

Long Press of the OK button allows you to choose which viewer to open a particular book.
Well, I tried pressing the ok button for a longer period, but I couldn't find "open with" or anything similar in the menu that pops up. Then I looked in settings/about device/more and it only shows Poppler as a PDF viewer. I guess I don't have any other viewer installed. Does anyone know where I can get it?
Thanks.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #52
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
you need to select a book/file and instead of just a click of ok to open it you hold the ok button down until you get the menu. the first choice is "open with"
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:01 AM   #53
mtravellerh
book creator

• I yesterday decided to really make MM crash. So I downloaded a nearly 100 MB PDF file, put it on my reader and opened it. MM was dutiful enough to tell me that such a big file may need a long time to be loaded. Nevertheless the book (840 pages of digital pics) was loaded in about 25-30 secs! I zoomed to column view, scrolled. Everything worked just fine, albeit a bit slower than usual! She's a mighty one, my mouse!
  • Formats: RTF is nowhere mentioned as being supported by the PocketBook. It works, however. The original formatting is lost, so no bold or italics and no centered headings. The normal FBReaders formatting applies, though: in my case justified text and indented paragraphs. For smoothly reading a text, this is fine.
  • The same is true for MS Doc files. The illustrations are gone in this format and pure text remains. PocketBook, as far as I know, is the only hardware Reader supporting this format anyway, so that's good enough for me!
  • File handling is a breeze with the 360: You choose one file or folder, hold the ok button and a detailed menu pops up: You're now able, to move and rename, to open with different apps, to rename, to create folders and so on! That's the bee's knee's!
  • Bad news! I tried to flash the 301 firmware on my Cool-er, whose firmware seems more than a bit clumsy to me right now! Couldn't get it to work, whatever I tried! If anyone knows a way to do this, please let me know! It should be possible, as the hardware's largely the same! Ah well!

Last edited by mtravellerh; 12-02-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:05 AM   #54
Kellhus
Kellhus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Formats: RTF is nowhere mentioned as being supported by the PocketBook. It works, however. The original formatting is lost, so no bold or italics and no centered headings. The normal FBReaders formatting applies, though: in my case justified text and indented paragraphs. For smoothly reading a text, this is fine.
Oh my, that's a dissapointment. Is there really absolutely no way to make PB read all .RTF formatting properly? Is it the same with .doc files?

BTW. RTF support actually is being mentioned: http://www.pocketbookreader.com/PocketBook_360.html

Last edited by Kellhus; 12-02-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Kellhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:45 AM   #55
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellhus View Post
Oh my, that's a dissapointment. Is there really absolutely no way to make PB read all .RTF formatting properly? Is it the same with .doc files?

BTW. RTF support actually is being mentioned: http://www.pocketbookreader.com/PocketBook_360.html
On BeBook (Hanlin V3 clones) CoolReader reads RTF, so you get all the formatting and options of reading FB2 - which is awesome. Does FBReader not handle RTF (I really don't know)? Could this be a good excuse to get CoolReader 3.0.19 ported onto the PB360?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #56
orwell2k
Addict

On another matter - I just posted a quick query here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...62868&p=677119

If anyone can help with some info/experience on ordering from the US that would be great. Cheers!
Old 12-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #57
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
you need to select a book/file and instead of just a click of ok to open it you hold the ok button down until you get the menu. the first choice is "open with"
Right, that's what I did. I selected a PDF, held the OK button for a few seconds until a menu appeared. These are the first options I get:
- Open
- Information
- Mark as read
- Add to favorites
- etc.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #58
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
Right, that's what I did. I selected a PDF, held the OK button for a few seconds until a menu appeared. These are the first options I get:
- Open
- Information
- Mark as read
- Add to favorites
- etc.
Go on open, move to the right, choose between pdfviewer and Adobe Reader (AR being the default)
Old 12-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #59
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
doesnt say "open with" just "open"? is it a drm'd pdf?

what is your firmware version?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #60
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellhus View Post

Oh I see. I can only tell it like it is, folks!

The only real drawback, for me, is the lack of illustrations and cover!