Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
johanp
johanp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, PocketBook Touch 622
PB Touch Preinstalled Dictionaries

Hi all,

I'm researching a new ereader and currently investigating dictionary support. I was very pleased to see that Abbyy dictionaries are available for PB since I use them on the desktop and have been very satisfied with them. My needs are:
  • Russian - English
  • Italian - English
  • English - English

For desktop I have:
  • Oxford Paravia Concise (It-En) (for ABBYY Lingvo x3) Concise Oxford Paravia Italian Dictionary, 3rd Edition. © 2003 Paravia Bruno Mondadori Editori e Oxford University Press. 175000 entries
  • Universal (Ru-En) (for ABBYY Lingvo x3) The New Comprehensive Russian-English Dictionary. © Russkiy Yazyk - Media, 2004, D.I. Yermolovich, T.M. Krasavina. 110,000 words and phrases.

and other special purpose Russian dictionaries. For English - English I have been satisfied enough with "Electronic Pocket Oxford English Dictionary" which I bought for Mobipocket (although it is very brief so some improvement would be nice here).

Now I can see that the Italian and Russian dictionary I mentioned above are available from the Obreey store for $9.99 and $5.99 respectively and that "New Oxford American Dictionary" is available for $28.99.

But what comes preinstalled? I assume this will vary from country to country. I would probably be purchasing mine from Pixmania in Sweden.

Thanks in advance.
johanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
It-En is there, but the two other combinations you need are not among the 20 or so pre-installed dictionaries. However, it is not very difficult to find Ru-En or En-En dictionaries for the PocketBook Touch. As you already found out, you can buy them for instance in PocketBook's store at obreey.com.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2012, 03:07 AM   #3
johanp
johanp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, PocketBook Touch 622
@Zetmolm Thanks. Isn't there any En-En among the 20 preinstalled dicts? I have no problem spending $6 for a En-Ru dict but spending $30 for En-En is a bit hefty. Is there a list somewhere of these ditcs?
johanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
@johanp: This is the list of preinstalled dictionaries:

De-En
En-Cs
En-Da
En-De
En-El
En-Es
En-Fr
En-It
En-Lt
En-Lv
En-Nl
En-No
En-Pl
En-Sk
En-Sl
En-Sv
En-Tr
Es-En
Fr-En
It-En

There are other places than the Obreey store where you can find cheap/free dictionaries, including En-En ones. Google is your friend

And also search for the information about PB dictionaries here on MobileRead. Especially, if you can manage the language, the German PocketBook forum here has a lot of relevant information.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
The Webster Dictionary is pre-installed and SIRSteiner compiled a combination of Wiktionary and Webster which makes it one of the most complete En-En avariable.
There is also a bunch of Babylon-dics available in various posts. Just search..
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert