Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #16
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I just see a missing GPS, and a Network (wifi?) adapter missing/OFF if I read that right.
No HD errors in what you show
I think it was a CGPS service; NOT related to GPS.

CGPS looks to be Constant Guard Protection Suite (possibly courtesy of Comcast http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/ ).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think it was a CGPS service; NOT related to GPS.

CGPS looks to be Constant Guard Protection Suite (possibly courtesy of Comcast http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/ ).
That make better sense, and as I don't have Comcast (or any cable), I would not know that one
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #18
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Global Positioning System
Usually used with mapping/trip routing software. Most of the time, mine is un-plugged (I know where I am going locally )

Is this a Laptop and you are using a wired connection? Or the Router may have just dropped you when you were sending something.
GPS - yes that I have but didn't associate it with my laptop since it's safely tucked away in my desk drawer. I agree with PeterT that's it's probably CPGS since I do have Comcast but I don't know what would have caused any problem. I didn't receive any virus warning or other notice of an issue.

Laptop with router but I have not noticed being dropped but it may have happened momentarily.

Quote:
speakingtohe What I would do to track down problem.

Run check library again in case you have managed to fix the problem.

Make a new library and add several books and check library

If new library works, copy old library to a different directory switch to copied library and run check.

By copying the library you should get an error message if there is a file that is not copyable for whatever reason. Might help.

Other things but that is a start. And never hurts to have an extra backup.

Helen
I ran check library again:
"Found no errors in your calibre database. Do you want calibre to check if the files in your library match the information in the database?"

So the good news is whatever the error was it's gone. The bad news is I have extra titles and extra authors. Calibre help says:

"Delete marked is used to remove extra files/folders/covers that have no entries in the database. Check the box next to the item you want to delete. Use with caution."

It appears my only option is to delete the extra files but will I lose books doing that? I do have everything backed up (dropbox and flash drive) and it looks like they're probably all free books anyway so no great loss.

How do extra titles and authors happen? I'd like to figure out whay I was doing incorrectly to prevent this happening again.

I really apprecaite everyone's help in helping me figure this out.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
GPS - yes that I have but didn't associate it with my laptop since it's safely tucked away in my desk drawer. I agree with PeterT that's it's probably CPGS since I do have Comcast but I don't know what would have caused any problem. I didn't receive any virus warning or other notice of an issue.

Laptop with router but I have not noticed being dropped but it may have happened momentarily.

I ran check library again:
"Found no errors in your calibre database. Do you want calibre to check if the files in your library match the information in the database?"

So the good news is whatever the error was it's gone. The bad news is I have extra titles and extra authors. Calibre help says:

"Delete marked is used to remove extra files/folders/covers that have no entries in the database. Check the box next to the item you want to delete. Use with caution."

It appears my only option is to delete the extra files but will I lose books doing that? I do have everything backed up (dropbox and flash drive) and it looks like they're probably all free books anyway so no great loss.

How do extra titles and authors happen? I'd like to figure out whay I was doing incorrectly to prevent this happening again.

I really appreciate everyone's help in helping me figure this out.
Extras can appear a couple of ways:
1) You place a file into the Calibre folder using the O/S (explorer) . All files must use the front door (GUI) or the side door (CLI)
The back door is off limits

2)If you have Mobipocket (reader) set to use as your default reader for Mobi, it places copies along with a MBP file into the Calibre Library Folder (the one with metadata.db)

3) You use the same Library on a Dual Boot: Win vs Linux filename case errors

Before you think of using the delete option button (for Books) on the Check report: Instead copy down the names of the books, find those
and CopytoClipboard, then pate into a Blank Notepad file.
Then find them (the path is given relative to the Library folder) and copy those to a safe folder (outside the Library).

Now, you can click 'run the check again' and verify you got them all (and did not cause other problems )

Now review your Library and add the needed books using the approved methods
Old 03-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #20
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Extras can appear a couple of ways:
1) You place a file into the Calibre folder using the O/S (explorer) . All files must use the front door (GUI) or the side door (CLI)
The back door is off limits

2)If you have Mobipocket (reader) set to use as your default reader for Mobi, it places copies along with a MBP file into the Calibre Library Folder (the one with metadata.db)

3) You use the same Library on a Dual Boot: Win vs Linux filename case errors

Before you think of using the delete option button (for Books) on the Check report: Instead copy down the names of the books, find those
and CopytoClipboard, then pate into a Blank Notepad file.
Then find them (the path is given relative to the Library folder) and copy those to a safe folder (outside the Library).

Now, you can click 'run the check again' and verify you got them all (and did not cause other problems )

Now review your Library and add the needed books using the approved methods
Well, none of the three items you listed are possible so the mystery remains. I always use the GUI, do not have Mobipocket, and do not use dual boot, strictly windows.

What I did (before reading your last post), was to create a new empty library as Helen suggested. I then located the books associated with the "extra titles and authors" and copied them to the new library.

I ran Check Libary on the new library - no errors and no "extras"

I ran Check Library on the original library and deleted the extra titles and authors. Reran check library, no errors, no extra titles or authors. All of the books that had previously had extra files were still present and okay. There were only 18 books out of 3350 in the library (some were duplicates between titles and authors).

So I guess everything is fine now and I hope it remains so. I just wish I knew what caused the problems in the first place.

Thanks again for all your help.
Advert
Old 03-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #21
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
So I guess everything is fine now and I hope it remains so. I just wish I knew what caused the problems in the first place.
Perhaps you had a an ebook or file open in a non calibre app?
Perhaps it was the infamous gremlins.

Another quick check to perform is type formats:false in the searchbar to see if you have any books with no actual book files.

Glad all is well

Helen

BTW it is possible to have errors even doing things the approved way. Forgetting to close a book or file open in a non calibre app will result in that book not being deleted.

Last edited by speakingtohe; 03-22-2012 at 10:31 PM.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #22
GeckoFriend
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Perhaps you had a an ebook or file open in a non calibre app?
Perhaps it was the infamous gremlins.

Another quick check to perform is type formats:false in the searchbar to see if you have any books with no actual book files.

Glad all is well

Helen

BTW it is possible to have errors even doing things the approved way. Forgetting to close a book or file open in a non calibre app will result in that book not being deleted.

Formats:false returns returns only known empty books (missing in series, etc.) so no problems there.

I do think it's gremline, or as an IT coworker once explained, "undocumented features".

I'm almost afraid to ask but should I be using the Library Maintenance option "Start backing up metadata of all books"? As I mentioned earlier, the library is regularly backed up.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #23
GeckoFriend
Guru

I'm back

Tried Check Library this morning and got the following error:

Spoiler:

calibre, version 0.8.43
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>DatabaseException</b>:disk I/O error
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 271, in run
OperationalError: disk I/O error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\choose_library.py", line 374, in check_library
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 536, in library_moved
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tag_browser\view.py", line 143, in set_database
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tag_browser\model.py", line 258, in set_database
File "site-packages\calibre\library\prefs.py", line 58, in set
File "site-packages\calibre\library\prefs.py", line 54, in __setitem__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 314, in run
DatabaseException: disk I/O error
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 271, in run
OperationalError: disk I/O error

Translation?
Old 03-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #24
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

looks exactly the same as first?
Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #25
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The only thing that can be said with certainty is that Windows told calibre that Windows failed to read data from or write data to the hard disk, in this case calibre's database. From there it is guesswork.

Usually such problems indicate that hardware is failing. It could be that some component is getting too hot to work properly, that memory is failing, that the disk itself is failing, or a number of other things. Sometimes, but much more rare, the problems could caused by damage to Windows itself. It is even possible that the problem is caused by some other program on the system that is connected into the guts of Windows, for example an antivirus or synchronizer. Unfortunately, it is impossible to tell which of these might be the culprit, or whether it is something else.

Sorry that I can't help more.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #26
GeckoFriend
Guru

This is just bizarre. I ran Check Library again and this time there were no errors. I think I'll stop worrying about it, at least I'll try to stop worrying.

I really hope it's not a hard drive problem; I had to replace the hard drive in my laptop four months ago and I don't need that expense again so soon. Maybe it's time to shop for a new laptop.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #27
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
This is just bizarre. I ran Check Library again and this time there were no errors. I think I'll stop worrying about it, at least I'll try to stop worrying.

I really hope it's not a hard drive problem; I had to replace the hard drive in my laptop four months ago and I don't need that expense again so soon. Maybe it's time to shop for a new laptop.
Laptops take a lot of hard knocks.
Check that the drive securing screws are still where they should be
Hot drives make errors. Keep the cooling intake clear. setting the Laptop on soft material can block cooling.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #28
speakingtohe
Wizard

Yes to what theducks said. Also blow out vents with air and put laptop on cake rack or something if it is running hot. Doesn't really sound like heat related but your drive may not be seated properly.

Another suggestion is getting an external hard drive and having your calibre library and anything important datawise stored on that. Not a big degradation in performance overall for me at least and internal laptop heat will not affect it.

That said I bought a lovely I5 Lenovo laptop for $329 (for my sister) including tax and shipping so selling your current laptop and upgrading could be the way to go. It runs very very cool even converting 1000 books.

Anyway as long as you have backups of all your important stuff on another drive, no real worries

Helen
Old 03-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #29
GeckoFriend
Guru

theducks suggested:
Check that the drive securing screws are still where they should be

Helen suggested:
your drive may not be seated properly.

How do I go about checking this?

For now, I'm going to turn shut down and blow out the vents - that I do know how to do
Old 03-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #30
speakingtohe
Wizard

You bought a new drive and probably someone installed it? (this is fine BTW)

Most laptop drive installations take removing a couple of screws and taking out one and putting in another. Not really scary.

Almost all laptop manuals provide step by step instructions

In your case you should have to remove the suggested screws/cover and give drive a little push.

Helen
With all power/battery removed of course