Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-30-2014, 03:39 AM   #20881
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peter.
I enjoyed that. I remembered the plot, but I liked the way it was told. A good purchase. I hope Mivo enjoys it too.

Next: the second in Robin Hobb's Tawny Man trilogy, but I don't have the title to hand.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:32 AM   #20882
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Recently finished "Third Girl", by Agatha Christie, which was originally published in 1966.

A girl visits Hercule Poirot, saying that she thinks she may have committed a murder, but then flees before she tells her story. Poirot investigates the circumstances, and uncovers a complex web of circumstances. Pretty good, and an interesting look at London in the "swinging 60s" as seen from the viewpoint of someone of an older generation (Poirot, who is of course reflecting Christie's own - generally disapproving - view of the changes that have occurred in society.)

Recommended mainly from the viewpoint of the description of 1960s London, although the crime has interest, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #20883
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
The most recent novel I got (and that I'm currently reading) is "The Skeleton Road" by Val McDermid. I had never read anything by her, but it's an entertaining, well-paced thriller.

Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #20884
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I finished Broken Homes, which I managed to get into quite a bit more towards the end. I have to say that while this particular instalment didn't quite capture me the same way some of the previous books in the series did, and I found the plot pretty light, it still turned out to be very enjoyable.

Last night I started The Garment of Shadows by Laurie R. King. The first third has so far had a bit too much emphasis on politics for my tastes, but I think that now the "this is what the situation was in Morocco in the 1920s" infodump-ish part is mostly over, I should be able to get into it more. I'm blaming my general tiredness these days for just wanting to skip all those parts - it's actually pretty interesting, or would be if my brain could process it at present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I was intrigued enough by the above to start reading Scepter of the Ancients (Skulduggery Pleasant #1). 35% in and enjoying it immensely.
Oh, excellent.

(I should say that only the first three books were released in the US; the rest of the now-complete series is available, well, pretty much everywhere else in the world but only as imports in the US / for ebooks, "travelling" in one's preferred shop is needed. Not that I know where you are or if this is relevant, but as the first book was retitled Scepter of the Ancients only for the US market, I'm assuming it might be!)
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:14 AM   #20885
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I've finished reading Little Women by Louisa May Alcott yesterday, it was my first time reading this book. It's divided into two parts. Part one was very good. I thought the reason it has stayed relevant through all those years is because its competitors and imitators were unable to capture the imaginative adventures of the book, and modern books aren't so benign and sugary. Part two was not so good, and read more like a mild and unfunny satire of book one.

I need to take a break before going full speed ahead reading the next book. So I'm going to read a group read(that will stretch up till November) of Fall Of Giants, then I'll recharge my kindle. Only then will I begin As The Crow Flies, by Jeffrey Archer. It's a book from the 70's but then it's a historical fiction book so no harm done. I'm taking to big books (over 500 pages) ever since I read The Historian. I realize that by choosing well I'm guaranteed to enjoy well written chunksters for days without worrying what to read, every 3 days or so. Having said all that, maybe I'll begin ATCF tomorrow.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2014, 06:13 AM   #20886
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I need to take a break before going full speed ahead reading the next book. So I'm going to read a group read(that will stretch up till November) of Fall Of Giants, then I'll recharge my kindle. Only then will I begin As The Crow Flies, by Jeffrey Archer. It's a book from the 70's but then it's a historical fiction book so no harm done. I'm taking to big books (over 500 pages) ever since I read The Historian. I realize that by choosing well I'm guaranteed to enjoy well written chunksters for days without worrying what to read, every 3 days or so. Having said all that, maybe I'll begin ATCF tomorrow.
One rarely encounters the phrases "well written" and "Jeffrey Archer" in the same post - at least not without a negative of some variety.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #20887
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I've never read anything by Jeffrey Archer, but he certainly doesn't seem to be very well regarded. I'm just reading David Mitchell's latest, The Bone Clocks. One of the novel's multiple first-person narrators is a literary writer past his prime who, after a very disappointing reception at the Hay-on-Wye festival, is relieved when he finally meets an enthusiastic fan - only to find out after a while that he has been mistaken for Jeffrey Archer.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #20888
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Halfway in Graeme Simson's The Rosie Project. Great fun. This would make a wonderful romantic comedy film with the right handling - something like a modern day Lubitsch. Looking forward to reading The Rosie Effect.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #20889
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just finished "The Chick is in the Mail", edited by Esther Friesner. Bought from Baen in October 2000. Another book in the series of short story collections featuring women warriors of all descriptions. A lot of it not at all "P.C." (lots of chain-mail bikinis here ) but great fun to read. Highly recommended.

This concludes my Baen books for October 2000. On next to November...
Old 10-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #20890
chookie2
Connoisseur
chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad mc7 16gig
Still reading Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare, finding it slow going. Too many tortured souls not enough depth to the characters yet, hoping it will improve. Reading like YA rather than adult reading .....is it YA?
chookie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #20891
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookie2 View Post
Still reading Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare, finding it slow going. Too many tortured souls not enough depth to the characters yet, hoping it will improve. Reading like YA rather than adult reading .....is it YA?
Yes it is YA. I found it to be just an OK read. I used to read a lot of YA fiction but I began losing interest in the genre about two years ago.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #20892
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I finished reading the 2nd book in the October Daye series, A Local Habitation. It's a supernatural mystery tale that held my interest throughout. Two in a row was enough exposure to that world for now and I'm taking a break from urban fantasy and giving Jane Austen another whirl (I recently read my first Jane Austen novel, Pride and Prejudice) and am 5 chapters into Emma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I've changed my mind and am starting a new (to me) urban fantasy series (trilogy maybe?) called Spook Squad. The first book is called Memory Zero (Spook Squad #1) by Keri Arthur. I've shoved the others I've recently started (except for the October Daye series) onto the back burner for a while.
I finished reading Memory Zero yesterday. The Spook Squad series is definitely a keeper for me!

This morning I used Amazon Prime lending library to borrow my October choice, Violence In Velvet (Ed Noon #4) by Michael Avallone. I'm reading it next, starting today!!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #20893
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
My library holds are still holding so I will need to find something else this afternoon.
Read The Girl in the Clockwork Collar by Kady Cross, book 2 of her Steampunk Chronicles series and am now starting part 2.5, The Dark Discovery of Jack Dandy. I have enjoyed this series so far.

My holds are still at #1 and #3, so should be available soon.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #20894
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I am reading The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. It is a lot of fun. Imagine if Forrest Gump was smarter and sassier and a Swedish centenarian.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #20895
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next: the second in Robin Hobb's Tawny Man trilogy, but I don't have the title to hand.
It was The Golden Fool and was very good, but more part two of three than second novel in a trilogy.

Next: Fantasy Magazine: Women Destroy Fantasyl by Lightspeed Magazine. From their Women Destroy SF! Kickstarter earlier this year, just delivered.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote