Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Until when DRM ebooks will haunt us?

Consider this:

-1st there were DRM music
- Now music is DRM free
- Ebooks are still DRM
- Until when?

I haven't dug myself into the background of all this and how the industry works but in your best knowledge how long we will have to use DRM ebooks?
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
DRM ebooks have never haunted me. I buy ebooks from all sellers according to best price and then read them on my device du jour. I don't even think about it anymore.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
What DRM? All of my books are DRM free thanks to Alf.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Granted, there's a large following of Master Alf here, but as the popularity of ereading increases, so too do the number of unApprenticed readers.
Right now, I think a large chunk of the unApprenticed aren't bothered by DRM because they can simply use the Kindle app, or the Kobo app or whatever, so they haven't been affected as much as say, a Sony user wanting to buy from the Kindle store.
The hardware (tablets for the most part) aren't forcing a choice in stores. People just switch from app to app to app as necessary.

Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 06-13-2013 at 03:03 PM.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Who gives a damn? As Apache says, your friend Alf will sort it for you.

Most people just aren't bothered about DRM. They buy a Kindle; they buy books from Amazon. What DRM? They never see it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Still, I'd rather Alf could retire in a world where buying an ebook gets you an ebook you can read, just like that.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Who gives a damn? As Apache says, your friend Alf will sort it for you.

Most people just aren't bothered about DRM. They buy a Kindle; they buy books from Amazon. What DRM? They never see it.
Most people buy an ePub capable Reader. Kindle may be the #1 brand, but ePub is the #1 format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've tried to introduce Alf to my friends at work, most of whom have Kindles. Not one person has been interested. "Normal" people just don't care. They buy a book a month (or whatever) from Amazon, read it, delete it. They never see DRM.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Most people buy an ePub capable Reader. Kindle may be the #1 brand, but ePub is the #1 format.
Not in Britain, Jon. Amazon totally dominates here. Different market to the US. I know lots of people with readers. Every single one is a Kindle.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
People buying ebooks are still overwhelmingly PC users to start with. They know how to find ways to do what they want, even if that means how to read on a different device. They may be lucky or smart enough to have looked into the issue here at MR, but there are probably a great deal more who find what they need through search engines or other forums or blogs. Any who may wish to leave any walled garden they find themselves in will have no problem doing so, that many don't bother or prefer it there is just the way things are. Just one more of the strange things that people who aren't me, do.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not in Britain, Jon. Amazon totally dominates here. Different market to the US. I know lots of people with readers. Every single one is a Kindle.
This is not a British or a US only forum. It's a world wide forum. So, you have to go with the World's majority and the majority worldwide is ePub.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And of course you have data on this, right?
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #13
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I have a theory that folks over their think it's Avalon and that if they buy enough Kindles, King Arthur will come back.

As for DRM in ebooks, I think it's too early to tell. There's been a slight move in publishing, but it isn't really a movement.

Music DRM caused consumers a lot more headache. Many people had players that couldn't handle the DRM. The DRM had to be re-authenticated on a regular basis.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I've been buying watermarked books for a year now or so. And once I pay I get the copy both in mobi and epub. I haven't touched ADE for a looong time.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
And of course you have data on this, right?
And you have data that says I'm wrong?