Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
External Mic Works on the Fire!

Maybe this belongs in "Tips and Tricks":

I had a set of headphones with an inline microphone laying around. I decided to try it on the Fire. I downloaded and installed an audio recording app, and made a 10-second recording. It worked - the audio came out loud and clear. This is almost a game-changer - that means Skype and other applications requiring a microphone can made functional on the Fire.

Now if I can figure out how to app a camera and gps lol...
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
asb2164
asb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle
Don't forget about Grooveip if you are rooted and have Google apps installed you can make free phone calls through Google voice.
asb2164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I got Square to install... Regarding GPS...

If there is a way to trick it into thinking you have any, it would work BRILLIANTLY with the Fire.

As for the microphone, that's awesome!
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Hold up a sec: its possible that the jack worked as a mic but that it doesnt act as a headset. You may know you can record using the headphones doesn't mean that you know that you can have a coversation via skype. To test whether you have full headset capability you'll have to actually use it on something like skype, though I guess it might be enough to just play some music in the background while using the audio recording feature - if you can do that, I would think that would prove it.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
JSWolf will [/wrists] at this piece of news
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
asb2164
asb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the rough

I installed Grooveip and signed into my Google voice account with it hooked up my headphone/Mic that does work with the Fire, It actually made a phone call to my cell phone but the mic did not work.
Maybe I just need to mess with some settings in grooveip.
If you are not familiar with Grooveip here it is http://www.amazon.com/snrb-Labs-Groo...2318367&sr=8-1
Old 11-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm very skeptical that this works

I'm skeptical this works. Many mic/headset speaker combinations have two plugs rather than one, so they won't work. A mic only, if it worked at all being plugged into a speaker plug, would most likely cause the internal speakers to stop working, which is counterproductive for Skype.

Even if you can find a mic/headset speaker combo with only one 1/8" plug that does work, what is the point. Using Skype with a WiFi only tablet without a camera is not going to be that big of a deal. If you have a WiFi connection you probably have other devices which will do the job a lot better than a Fire.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
asb2164

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm skeptical this works. Many mic/headset speaker combinations have two plugs rather than one, so they won't work. A mic only, if it worked at all being plugged into a speaker plug, would most likely cause the internal speakers to stop working, which is counterproductive for Skype.

Even if you can find a mic/headset speaker combo with only one 1/8" plug that does work, what is the point. Using Skype with a WiFi only tablet without a camera is not going to be that big of a deal. If you have a WiFi connection you probably have other devices which will do the job a lot better than a Fire.
All hands free sets that come with most cell phones have one plug and include a mic on the plug it will have 3 black bands 2 for the headphones if stereo and one for the microphone.

If the headset was designed to work with a computer most likely it would have 2 plugs but we are not talking about those we are talking about headsets made for cell phones.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

Video conferencing isn't the only use for Skype. For those of us with Skype-In/Skype-Out service, being able to make/receive Skype calls on the Fire is useful. $60 a year (in the US) for unlimited local and long distance calls makes a fantastic alternative to a traditional landline.

If I'm in the food court at the local mall using their free wifi hotspot, I can accept calls to my "home phone".

The fact that virtually every computing device in my home (PSP, iPod Touch, iPad, notebook, tablet, and freetalk base module) can act as a phone is very convenient.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #10
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

I just tried it out by installing a very small and simple recording app. Skype wouldn't be the only use for it, obviously; the opportunity may be there to use many apps that require a mic (speech to text apps, Google Voice, guitar tuners, recorders, etc., etc.).
Old 11-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
If I can just record my classes and read my textbook on it at the same time, that's the only thing I'd ever want.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #12
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
JSWolf will [/wrists] at this piece of news
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #13
grvthang
Connoisseur

Here's a stand-alone mic (not a headphone/mic combo) that should work: I just ordered one - for $1.44+free shipping I don't think you can go wrong:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=5336653508-20

The type of plug needed is called a TRRS plug - it has four conductors on it, rather than the three conductors found on the (TRS) plug on normal stereo headphones. If the plug has three "stripes" on it, it's a TRRS.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #14
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I am confused (not an uncommon occurrence) but has anyone actually successfully made a skype call yet?

If it works, great! If it don't, well then... it don't. Which would prevent a nasty blood stain on JSWolf's carpet.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I am confused (not an uncommon occurrence) but has anyone actually successfully made a skype call yet?

If it works, great! If it don't, well then... it don't. Which would prevent a nasty blood stain on JSWolf's carpet.
Hilarious!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote