Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
hacking in?

Is there a way to connect the PP to a linux device, for example, and get in to see the linux subsystem below the front end that you see on the device? Allowing minor tweaks in situ?
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Is there a way to connect the PP to a linux device, for example, and get in to see the linux subsystem below the front end that you see on the device? Allowing minor tweaks in situ?
That capability is provided by the OpenInkpot firmware (only on V3 for now) by allowing a connection to the reader's Linux via SSH over USB. AFAIK, none of the reseller's firmware provide any access method like that. Their access method just makes the reader look like a dumb SD card over USB, with no direct interaction with the Linux OS. The SSH access in OpenInkpot is very handy since you can edit scripts and configuration files on the system. It does add a bit more complexity to adding books to your device's library though. Unfortunately, OI is not available for V5 yet so I guess this response was hardly worth typing.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not at all, it's interesting. I've looked at OI and it's very betaware at the moment, so I've not even thought to look into it. However, with more people getting these cool little devices a port isn't far off, surely
Old 12-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not at all, it's interesting. I've looked at OI and it's very betaware at the moment, so I've not even thought to look into it.
Yes, it is only at the 0.2 release level right now, but it is already being used on one commercial book reader called Azbooka.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Azbooka
The developers are very responsive to user input, unlike the Jinke tribe, so bugs get cleaned up quite rapidly. It is the only firmware I use on my V3.
Quote:
However, with more people getting these cool little devices a port isn't far off, surely
One would hope not too far off.
The last time that I looked at the OI Wiki, it still did not have a schedule slot though.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
omro
Addict

I'm guessing that OI would result in a loss of PDF reading and PDF reflow?
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
I'm guessing that OI would result in a loss of PDF reading and PDF reflow?
OI uses LocoPDF, which is still under active development. I do not use PDF on either of my readers, so I have no idea how good PDF is on OI.