Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 01-23-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
STAReBOOK vs. Iliad speed video!

Well, I have something here that might be interesting to many users of this forum.
Since several people asked me about the booting speed and pageturn speed of the STAReBOOK I thought I'd take a little video of the device in action. To spice things up a bit I added the Iliad as a comparison.

The things I did:

I put both devices on the couch, switched completely off (no standby).

I then switched the camera on, picked up the Iliad and turned it on, then turned the STAReBOOK on (I could do that without picking it up since the powerbutton is on the top).
Then I selected the "Last read book" on both devices (it's actually the same book in both cases, file-sizes are also about the same, around 900K and both books are at roughly the same page (hard to be sure since the screensize-difference makes the pages different as well).

I then flipped forward 3 Pages (please note that I did not press the page-forward button on the STAReBOOK properly the first time and had to repeat (you can see the device lighting up the green LED but not flipping pages), I did not want to do the whole recording again just because of that) and then flipped back three pages and shut both devices down again (Iliad first again).

Three things to note:
1) The quality is bad, but I don't have any better equipment and I guess you can see all that is neccessary.

2) I could actually finish the whole procedure on the STAReBOOK before the Iliad was even done booting despite the fact that I missed the "Page-forward" button at the first try and the Iliad was switched on several seconds before the STAReBOOK. Of course the Iliad has a lot more to load, but it is also a lot more powerful where the Hardware is concerned.

3) The books were both loaded from SD card. Both cards were 1GB, the one in the Iliad was a Sandsik Extreme II, the one in the STAReBOOK was a simple Kingston with no speedrating provided (it was 7.90€, so I guess it's not spectacular)

The File is in .avi format, I compressed it down from 29MB to 1.xMB using the XVID codec.
Attached Files
File Type: rar STAR_vs_Iliad.rar (1.07 MB, 2888 views)
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:23 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
RE: test .avi

Thanks, but my Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player doesn't recognize your .avi format.

Please don't say I must use RealPlayer!
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Interesting video. Seems to be iPod like graphics for the opening and closing splash screens on the STAReBOOK. It is revealing that you were able to turn on, select the last book, advance 3 pages, and go backward on the STAReBOOK all before the Iliad had completed its boot up process.

{Edit: No problems with the video format, just expanded and ran. (WinXP)}
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
Anchoku
Connoisseur
Anchoku doesn't litterAnchoku doesn't litter

Delphi, you probably need to install a video codec. Try getting a codec pack like Cole2k from a shareware site.

Commander, does the screen look like it refreshes faster? I'm interested in this more than improved computing speed.
Anchoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
yunhaid
Enthusiast
yunhaid doesn't litteryunhaid doesn't litter

the starebook movies, created by rhh888.

http://www.baizhan.com.cn/index.php?...=post&id=65617
yunhaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
Almagne
Enthusiast
Almagne began at the beginning.

I could not figure out how to play the video. It seems that one has to buy a program that can read RAR files.
Almagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:50 PM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
No purchase necessary.

I use IZArc, which is a fantastic freeware program for Windows...
http://www.izarc.org/index.html

It handles all kinds of archives, including rar files.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
And for a free cross platform media player that doesn't require any separate codecs to be messed with, try VLC.. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I've found it to be great, and can be a lifesaver. For example, a buddy was headed overseas and had a bunch of video files, but couldn't play them or get the codecs to work on his laptop. In 5 mins I had him download VLC and he was watching the videos with no problem, just in time for his flight. Simple and easy.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:09 PM   #9
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I usually just use winrar for rar files.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:54 AM   #10
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
Well, I have something here that might be interesting to many users of this forum.
Since several people asked me about the booting speed and pageturn speed of the STAReBOOK I thought I'd take a little video of the device in action. To spice things up a bit I added the Iliad as a comparison.
Impressive... But how long does it take to convert content to a format the STAReBook can read...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:08 AM   #11
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

@jaed

it takes about as long as it takes to make a pdf for the Iliad, but the results are a lot worse on the STAReBOOK at the moment.
staretek contacted me today to say that they will solve this and other issues with a software update. They gave me a timeframe of 30-45 days for completition...
Old 01-24-2007, 03:22 AM   #12
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
@jaed

it takes about as long as it takes to make a pdf for the Iliad, but the results are a lot worse on the STAReBOOK at the moment.
staretek contacted me today to say that they will solve this and other issues with a software update. They gave me a timeframe of 30-45 days for completition...
It reads pdfs as well...? Might be worth looking into...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:28 AM   #13
mill0r
mill0r doesn't littermill0r doesn't litter

Device: Sony eReader, iRex iLiad
Nice video.

Although it is a bit hard to see due to the quality of the video but to me it seemed that the white of the display was a lot whiter on the iLiad than on the Starebook and gave a better/sharper contrast.

Can you confirm that CommanderROR ?

Btw can you try to put both devices next to each other and turn a page simultaneous, to give a better perception like I did with the video of the sony/iliad.

and my last request Is it possible to load a comic on both and zoom on the images to check quality and do the same page turn test.

That would be great and if you need a comic to test with i can give you one

Last edited by mill0r; 01-24-2007 at 03:32 AM.
mill0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:18 AM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Thank you CommanderROR for a great video.

Now let me talk about the startup time.

Sigh ...

I can not understand it.
I really can't.

My recent "ebook reader" is in the terms of computing history only one step above the wooden abacus - Cassiopeia A-20, and my oldest "e-reader" is Cassiopeia A-11 (featuring Windows CE 1.0! and a whooping 4MB of combined memory (Yes. Program memory PLUS memory for all my documents)). To illustrate the age and technical features of both machines I will just say, that both machines have a slot for a memory card - PCMCIA sized memory card.

Yet, it takes less than ONE SECOND for those venerable machines to go from the "Off" state to the place where you last stopped reading.

Even a complete hard reboot to factory defaults takes less than it takes Starebook to start.

I simply fail to comprehend why a simple start of StarEbook takes freakin' 30 seconds. And I will not even start talking about the Iliad.

People take an almost instant switching on for pocket computers for granted. I was very deeply shocked when I learned (some time ago) that it takes more than 45 seconds for Iliad to boot. You do not need to load hundreds of megabytes from a slow harddisk like you do on PCs.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:43 AM   #15
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

@jaed

The STAReBOOK does not support PDF, what I saidis that it takes about the sma eamount of time to create a PDF file (from whatever source) for the Iliad as it takes to create a .stk file for the STAReBOOK. The .stk creation is probaby a bit faster since there a no options to set at the moment, but that also means the results are quite often rather ugly.

@mill0r

The contrast is pretty much identical on both devices, I think the different frame-color makes the difference here. The Iliad has a black fram so the screen looks whiter, the STAReBOOK has a white frame so the screen looks more grey.

I can do a comic test if you like (and if the cames still works...it was about to give up yesterday...) and try the page-turning parallel, but I won't even attempt to do a quality-control zoom...there is absolutely no sense in doing that since the camera image-quality is so disgusting...

If you send me a nice comic file (PDF for the Iliad, formatted to 12x15cm) and .jpg files in 800x600 resolution for the STAReBOOK (or you can make a comic-stk with the eRead software if you like) then I'll gladly try it out for you.

Just attach the files to your next post and i'll download them or send them to Roland.Rohde@mobileread.com

@kacir
I agree about the boot-times. However, since the STAReBOOK does not need to be turned off to preserve power, I don't reboot it. It has been running without pause (apart from the restart fro the video) and no recharging has been done for 2 Days now with lots of playing around as well, and the battery is still almost full although I did not even "train" the battery yet, so it should not have full capacity yet.