Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 04:25 AM   #1
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Wierd warning from google chrome!!

Hi Mods,

Or at least I assume it's the mods who will want to know this. I got a very strange warning from my browser today. Google Chrome gave me this message:
"The website at www.mobileread.com contains elements from the site dl.getdropbox.com, which appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer.
For detailed information about the problems with these elements, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for dl.getdropbox.com.
Learn more about how to protect yourself from harmful software online."

I just thought I should let you know. This has only happened the one time and I have been to many many different pages within the forum. I was trying to go to Andybaby's review of the M-edge cover for the prs-700 at the time. This is the URL https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47041 not that you couldn't find it but I hope that helps. Well yeah. Just thought I should let you know.

Toodles,
Mike
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. The post you referred to contained an image that was hosted with the Dropbox photo repository. Not sure why it is blacklisted by Google (since it's just a photo repository like the many others out there), but rest assured, you are safe when surfing MR.

Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Thanks Alex, I wasn't really to worried. I just thought I had better let you know just in case. Thanks for the response.

Mike
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:30 AM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
ahh, that was my post!

but anyway. what probably happened was somebody was hosting alot of malware using dropbox on their website, and googles bots downloaded it and tested it and it black listed the Domain. unlike other photo repositories, dropbox can host any type of file (but contained there in was only images)

anyway, that post is 100% safe

along with any other post contained on the site, the only reason you got the warning is because it was an image. and images download automatically that way you can see them. if it was a Link, you wouldn't have gotten the warning. and links cant be 100% safe. always have an active virus scanner up, and if you do not trust the source you downloaded any EXE or BAT or a few other extensions from, don't run it till you ran a scan on it (its free, there are even sites where you can upload it and it will scan it with 20 different scanners)

due to HTML being disabled on this forum (and most, and even if it was enabled it would still only allow formatting html to be entered like <b>) any thing that directly loads is safe, but links may be harmful.

Heed that advise on any website, especially those with user created content (like forums and blogs) and you will be safe.

Happy browsing.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote