Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-02-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
scruffy
Enthusiast
scruffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.scruffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.scruffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.scruffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: ebookwise, n800, tablet, etc
Saving to Disk issues

This exists on both 4.83 and the 4.84 betas (haven't tested b6 yet):

When you save the library, the following issues occur:

1) Commas in sort name are turned to semicolons.
Example: Sort Name: Austen, Jane
Saved name in directory and files: Austen; Jane

2) All files have an exported # embedded in the title, and in the opf references to them.
Albert Einstein Quotes - Einstein; Albert_1.lit
Albert Einstein Quotes - Einstein; Albert_1.jpg
Albert Einstein Quotes - Einstein; Albert_1.opf
(The _1 is not on the originals)

This is annoying to say the least, since the # is purely a Calibre invention, and has nothing to do with the files themselves. Can you remove it?
That way, 2 exported copys of the same text/jpg/etc (perhaps from different libraries, where the # is not the same) will have identical names.

In the beta 4.84, the new library does NOT have the # on the files, but solely on the directory of the book itself. Even removing that would be a good thing, if possible...
scruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The semi colon is the nominal way of denoting Lastname; firstname in calibre (commas imply multiple authors). Since author sort doesn't need to specify multiple authors, calibre assumes the user actually means ; when he puts ,

The numbers are neccessary to ensure uniqueness of files, since there could be multple instances of a book in the database or multiple books with the same metadata. Also in the case of the save books feature the numbers allow calibre to recreate its database from the saved books easily via the "add books" feature.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
scruffy
Enthusiast
scruffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.scruffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.scruffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.scruffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: ebookwise, n800, tablet, etc
From other thread...

Quote:
You can adjust how calibre reads metadata from filenames by using the config dialog (avanced section).
Yeah, just noticed that.

Very Sweet using regexp: (?P<title>.+) - (?P<author>[^_]+)

I tend to org things as Author - Title (makes sorting by names easier, sort by first letter of last name, like a real library...) so I can change that for importing...

but Can you add a similar config for Save to Disk?

If you added another option line to that config dialog for exports so we could do "<author> - <title> [<isbn>]"(or year, etc), that would be very cool.

Might also deal with the ; vs , issue on exporting, if we have
<last name>, <first name> as an option (or "first last" for those who want that), or even <sortauthor with ;> vs <sortauthor with ,> for those who want some normal commas.

Fields like isbn, publisher, series could be used, or tags. (Did I mention Year?)

And perhaps deal with _# issue that way as well, making it the default export, but optional.

So the default Save to Disk export would become:
"<author></><title></><title> - <sortauthor;>_<lib#>.<ext>"
(Flash Renamer uses a large list of these sort of tags, for one example, </> is borrowed from there, meaning directory/folder, as do many Mp3 taggers.)
scruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sure there's already a ticket for secifying save to disk formats, feel free to add a comment with your ideas. But I should emphasize that the best way to get these kinds of features into calibre (i.e. features I dont care about) is to submit patches, as I have a list of things on my personal TODO that's longer than I am
Old 09-02-2008, 11:31 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
is to submit patches, as I have a list of things on my personal TODO that's longer than I am
Do you have a roadmap listed somewhere so we can see that ToDo list?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

not really, but the big features in the near future are EPUB output and a more sophisticated UI for using news recipes.