Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
That will work for a short / medium length book for a debut author. Not for a long work. Even Tolkien had to split his book into three, and he'd already published The Hobbit.
From what I've read, that was due to the practicalities of publishing, not the fact that the publisher didn't want to publish it as a single volume. There was a severe paper shortage in 1950s Britain, and not enough of the high-quality thin paper was available that would have been necessary for a single-volume edition.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #32
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
That will work for a short / medium length book for a debut author. Not for a long work. Even Tolkien had to split his book into three, and he'd already published The Hobbit.
Why do you believe that? From what I hear publisher wants long books since they are easier to sell.

Also it is not so much more expensive publishing a long book so why would they care about the length if they think the book is very good?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There's a huge difference between "doesn't usually publish huge debut novels" and "never publishes one."

I remain unconvinced that a 782 page debut sff hardcover novel needs anything other than "it was really good" to explain its existence. Certainly doesn't warrant any "something strange is going on here" implications.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-21-2015 at 12:37 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:29 PM   #34
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
From what I've read, that was due to the practicalities of publishing, not the fact that the publisher didn't want to publish it as a single volume. There was a severe paper shortage in 1950s Britain, and not enough of the high-quality thin paper was available that would have been necessary for a single-volume edition.
Yes. To the best of my knowledge it was the post WWII paper shortages that necessitated it being published the way it was.

All it takes is for an editor to really believe in a book no matter the length and they can sell there co-workers/bosses on it. A good agent will know which editors at which houses might be the most receptive to a given work. It's true that 80-120K words seems to be the sweet spot for many novels, but that's just a guideline and not any kind of hard and fast rule.

Some long first novels...

Sarum - Edward Rutherfurd
Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-21-2015 at 09:59 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:56 AM   #35
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I keep trying to read that book but I just can't get into it. I had the same experience with Game of Thrones. Obviously other people like those books, but I'm struggling with them. Maybe the TV series will get me over the hump.
Me too. It's been a while, but I don't think I got beyond a quarter of the book before I gave up. I intend to watch the TV series and if I like it, I'll give the book another try after I'm done with the Hugo packet.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2015, 01:01 AM   #36
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Why do you believe that? From what I hear publisher wants long books since they are easier to sell.

Also it is not so much more expensive publishing a long book so why would they care about the length if they think the book is very good?
From what I hear from authors and publishers at conventions, that's only true until you get up near the page limit of the publisher's printer. For example, Charles Stross's Family Trade series was supposed to be a trilogy, and his publisher made him split it into 6 because it would have cost too much to print each volume.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:04 AM   #37
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Why do I expect it to be: "Elemental Masters -The Wizard of London" meets "50 Shades of Grey"?

Luck;
Ken
Well, actually, that sounds pretty awesome . . .
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:20 AM   #38
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
About Very Long Novels...
http://www.vulture.com/2015/05/year-...ong-novel.html
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #39
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I can't figure out how people can talk as if they are authorities in the matter of long novels. I always liked them, even when I was 6 and recently learned how to read, I used to choose the biggest picture books I could find in our school library (but titles elude my now).

I say that there is nothing wrong with long books, it is just a personal choice. Even now, if I am to choose between two fantasy debuts I know nothing about, I would go for the longer one.

As a unrelated side note, show was awesome =)
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:28 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
I can't figure out how people can talk as if they are authorities in the matter of long novels. I always liked them, even when I was 6 and recently learned how to read, I used to choose the biggest picture books I could find in our school library (but titles elude my now).

I say that there is nothing wrong with long books, it is just a personal choice. Even now, if I am to choose between two fantasy debuts I know nothing about, I would go for the longer one.
Me too. Given a choice between a good short novel and a good long one, I'll always go for the long one. Some of my very favourite novels are the really long ones: "The Lord of the Rings", "The Count of Monte Cristo", etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:36 PM   #41
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm fairly book-length agnostic. It depends entirely on the story and the author's skills. I've read huge tomes that felt too short, and some short stories that felt too long. I prefer that books be the perfect length for the story they contain--whatever that length happens to be. As long as I know I'm buying a "novel," I really don't give the page-count much thought in my selection process. Makes no difference to me whether I read two average-sized fantastic books or one huge fantastic book in a certain period of time. *shrug*
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:36 PM   #42
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Me too. Given a choice between a good short novel and a good long one, I'll always go for the long one. Some of my very favourite novels are the really long ones: "The Lord of the Rings", "The Count of Monte Cristo", etc.
I love long books as well. I'm a huge LOTR fan. Of course, some long books are long because they have lots and lots of fill (cough, cough WOT ). Actually, I think that lots of people like long books that are good. Some of the Harry Potter books were pretty long. I think that historically, short novels were popular because authors put books in newspapers and magazines in a serialize manner and there was a limit to how long a book magazines were willing to buy.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:49 PM   #43
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm fairly book-length agnostic. It depends entirely on the story and the author's skills. I've read huge tomes that felt too short, and some short stories that felt too long. I prefer that books be the perfect length for the story they contain--whatever that length happens to be. As long as I know I'm buying a "novel," I really don't give the page-count much thought in my selection process. Makes no difference to me whether I read two average-sized fantastic books or one huge fantastic book in a certain period of time. *shrug*
I have to agree.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:50 PM   #44
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Actually, if I see a 100 pages book claiming to be new great epic fantasy, I wouldn't touch it without reading some very glowing reviews. Some genres need the long books.

And about fillers, I actually adore them sometimes, especially those with a slice-of-life feeling.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #45
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Really? Where did you hear that?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote