Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #61
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
3.12.1 is the last firmware you should probably have right now. Others was only released for Japan or for Glo HD.

3.15 is the firmware released after 3.12.1 for the west but it is still only hours old. Give it some time. Your auto-update is fine.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #62
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by simoun View Post
tks for the update specs, and for the french guy : tks also. I use wifi to sync but i stay in 3.12.1...strange

May be the auto firmware update is stucked in 3.12.1 in France ?

I wil try manually with your method

tks to all
No, it takes sometimes days until the affliate pushed the update by wifi, the one in The Netherlands takes sometimes more then two weeks.
That is why I always do the manual one.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #63
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
On my H2O, LeanAndMean seems to affect very few things:

* The black menu highlights when you tap on something. And that's it .

true:
Code:
[pid   516] 20:31:05 [2f1b21bc] ioctl(3, MXCFB_SEND_UPDATE, {update_region={top=27, left=34, width=77, height=104}, waveform_mode=NTX_WFM_MODE_A2, update_mode=UPDATE_MODE_PARTIAL, update_marker=159, temp=TEMP_USE_AMBIENT, flags=EPDC_FLAG_FORCE_MONOCHROME, alt_buffer_data={virt_addr=(nil), phys_addr=0, width=0, height=0, alt_update_region={top=0, left=0, width=0, height=0}}}) = 0
[pid   516] 20:31:05 [2f1b21bc] ioctl(3, MXCFB_WAIT_FOR_UPDATE_COMPLETE, {159}) = 966
vs.

false:
Code:
[pid   516] 20:33:46 [2f1b21bc] ioctl(3, MXCFB_SEND_UPDATE, {update_region={top=27, left=34, width=77, height=104}, waveform_mode=WAVEFORM_MODE_AUTO, update_mode=UPDATE_MODE_PARTIAL, update_marker=49, temp=TEMP_USE_AMBIENT, flags=0, alt_buffer_data={virt_addr=(nil), phys_addr=0, width=0, height=0, alt_update_region={top=0, left=0, width=0, height=0}}}) = 0
[pid   516] 20:33:46 [2f1b21bc] ioctl(3, MXCFB_WAIT_FOR_UPDATE_COMPLETE, {49}) = 936
(that's on tapping the Home icon)

In plain English, when true, menu highlights are done in the fastest eink refresh mode available, the bitonal one.

I couldn't find anything different, at least in terms of visible data when sniffing the ioctls. Same amount of calls, same amount of WAIT_FOR_UPDATEs.

Fun detail: the black selection around a tile is still done in A2, although without the force_mono flag (in both cases).

----

Again, that's on a H2O, with a Carta screen, so, by definition it behaves differently than a Pearl, and nickel/the kernel might do some other magic behind the scenes depending on devices, I've already said this before, but the eink driver in Kobo's kernels is notably murkier than Amazon's on this aspect, so it's hard to pinpoint with hard data .

It's hard to know what the kernel does behind the scenes to make its choice with the automagic WAVEFORM_MODE_AUTO waveform mode.

----

And, FWIW: defaults to true on my H2O .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-29-2015 at 02:51 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #64
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi guys,

We have noticed a bug with Glo model (not HD) : there are ghosts if we don't add thoose lines in our ".kobo\kobo\kobo erader.conf" :

[FeatureSettings]
LeanAndMean=false

If we add thoose lines, ghosting dissappear in book but is still there on frames (for example : the frame opened when I use the dictionnary).

The thread : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3092668#post3092668

NB : sorry for my bad english, I'm french.

Last edited by akorx; 04-29-2015 at 03:55 PM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #65
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
It is even worst now.. the "normal" ghosting is gone but when ,like u said,open the dictionary the ghosting is so terrible that the text on sideloaded epubs is almost invisible, in a kind of light gray, that ghosting problem is gonna be more worse and worse... maybe one of the betatesters can start the discussion again about it with Kobo..it is nice to have a Aura HD or a Glo HD but it are now more HG models (as in High Ghosting) better resolution is great,but if it is destroyed by the ghosting it is time for another brand, it is there at least from 3.11.0
Maybe it is patchable ?? <hope here>
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #66
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
Strange enough, although there is no chess, i'm able to play it as a shortcut is on my homescreen. so here gotta be a patch to enable chess again.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #67
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur
ksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The PDF scaling is still broken as in 3.13, so I have again go back to 3.12
ksiflhjla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #68
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
so stay as is or upgrade?

anyone in Canada get update by wifi?

Last edited by Smartie; 04-29-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:31 PM   #69
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
[*]Chess removed from beta features
Disappointing. I don't play the games very often, but Chess was one of the three that I would play.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:25 AM   #70
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksiflhjla8 View Post
The PDF scaling is still broken as in 3.13, so I have again go back to 3.12
Could you elaborate?

Edited..............

Forget about it. I just remembered the issue. But I do not agree with you. Old FWs do not properly support multiple page sizes in PDFs. Specially if your first page was smaller than the inner pages. Yes in FW 3.13.1 and 3.15 (although I haven't tested the issue in the last one), the zoom level is set in a relative way through pages, which is weird. But at least I can browse PDFs with different page sizes... so I wouldn't return to previous FWs in any way...

Last edited by arspr; 04-30-2015 at 06:58 AM.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:52 AM   #71
stanlefor
Connoisseur
stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: kobo touch
About chess, just buy pbchess : way better.
Those "BETA" features sux anyway : how can you keep something in beta for years?....
stanlefor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:54 AM   #72
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The firmware doesn't specifically read the ISBN from sideloaded books, it just seems to read the first <dc:identifier> item in the .opf file.

For the books I have sideloaded from Calibre it is reading the Calibre identifier instead of the ISBN, I guess because the Calibre identifier comes first in the file. I still have to use the KoboUtilities plugin to add the real ISBN and other publisher related metadata on the second connection.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:00 AM   #73
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur
ksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
But at least I can browse PDFs with different page sizes...
No, you can't, if your page heights differ.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:36 AM   #74
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksiflhjla8 View Post
No, you can't, if your page heights differ.
It seems to have fixed the problem with a mix of portrait and landscape pages. With 3.12.1, the PDF I have that starts with a portrait page then goes to landscape, only part of the landscape page is displayed. With 3.15.0, the full page is displayed. It doesn't rotate the landscape page, but it is all there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:19 AM   #75
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur

Again: if the page height is smaller than the previous, it will scale up the difference (total complete nonsense) so the page will not fit the screen!