Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-23-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
MR Rhyming Slang

In london there is a group of people called Cockneys. Cockneys use a slightly different but fun way of speaking called Cockney Rhyming Slang. Cockney rhyming slang works by using two (sometimes more) words to rhyme with a third which is the word you actually mean. Ok that is a bad explaination lets look at a few example:

Trouble & Strife = Wife
Holy Ghost = Toast
Rosie Lee = tea
Dig & Bone = phone

Now most often when you use them in a sentence you only use the first word, so stealing PDurrant's example from a previous post:

I was on the dog to me trouble....

meaning

I was on the phone to my wife

Now I thought it may be fun to see what a silly bunch of word crafters such as you lot may be able to come up with for new MR Rhyming Slang terms.

Last edited by Peverel; 05-23-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a couple more actual ones to give you a few more examples:

Plates of Meat = Feet
Apples & Pears - Stairs
Artful Dodger = Lodger
Fanny Craddock = Haddock
Alan Whickers = Knickers
Pony and Trap = ..... well I'll let you work that one out lol
Old 05-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
line and hook = book
cats and mice = device
birch and cedar = reader
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Peverel
Still Easily Confused

So I knew a french birch was forever looking at lines on her cats
Old 05-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peverel View Post
So I knew a french birch was forever looking at lines on her cats
so true !
Old 05-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Mischief and Mayhem = DRM

There are already several common ones for book. http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/ is a 'useful' site in this regard.

I like fish hook = book. Taking this one step further (which is allowed), ebooks (electr(on)ic books) are obviously eels.

"I don't want none of that mischief on my eels"
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Mischief and Mayhem = DRM

There are already several common ones for book. http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/ is a 'useful' site. in this regard.

I like fish hook = book. Taking this one step further (which is allowed), ebooks (electr(on)ic books) are obviously eels.

ha !! brilliant !!!

i'll go with fish hook instead of line and hook (i think i got it into my head there had to be an "and" in there, which is obviously untrue), it's much better !
Old 05-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
Peverel
Still Easily Confused

Quote:
Totally brilliant

EDIT: if you say it in a Micheal Caine voice it sounds even better

Last edited by Peverel; 05-23-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
A fascinating public information short about Cockney's and the 'Working Class'

Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

which also contributes another to the list of "crazy british pronunciations" : Cholmondley is pronounced "Chumley", apparently.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

iron pyrite = infringe copyright.

What'cha been up to on the car and scooter* all evening? You ain't been ironing any eels I hope?

*computer
Old 05-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

you're really good at this.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #13
Peverel
Still Easily Confused

Quote:
You ain't been ironing any eels I hope?
That is just a great mental picture lol
Old 05-26-2009, 05:30 AM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

beans and rice = ebook device

"I've just got to put some more eels on my beans'n'rice, and then I'll be ready to go."

" ’ave you ’eard? Amazon's bringing out a bigger beans this summer."

(Note that 'a' is correct, as 'beans' in this context is singular.)

Old 05-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

excellent. i must think of some more.