Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 06-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #586
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Cheers cRussel and Synamom....will try Cocaine blues...not a series person in general but this may be my savior for my 100 book quest this year... I just listened to Slouching toward Bethlehem and The White Album by Joan Didion... good Journalism from the 60's and 70's on Audible..the former is read by Diane Keyton and the latter by Susan Varon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Agreed. I listened to Cocaine Blues last month and enjoyed it, Phryne is a fascinating character who tackles problems head on and the narrator's voice seemed a good match for the character.

After that I needed something mindless to listen to while I packed and moved, Dresden Files fit the bill so I listened to books 8 through 10 during two weeks of torture (moving).

I just finished The Cold, Cold Ground by Adrian Mckinty. It was set during 'The Troubles' in early 80s Belfast, a blast from the past and a really well done police procedural.

Before all that I listened to The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Wonderfully done story about teens living with cancer.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #587
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I just re-upped with Audible (6 or 8 years later) for World War Z: The Complete Edition. The original WWZ was what got me to sign up with them in the first place, and what started my audiobook listening.

Unfortunately, they seem to have started a new account from my Amazon account, rather than let me sign in with my original (inactive) account, so I can't get at my old library
Like Charlie said, contact customer service. They were able to combine my old account and password to the new linked amazon account for me. They are now all under one amazon account. I don't remember exactly how it worked, but I may have had to redownload some of them.

I've been listening to Outlander [Unabridged] [Audible Audio Edition] while doing little jobs around the house and yard. I read the first 4 or 5 books years ago and I am really enjoying the revisit to the book through listening.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #588
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I've been listening to Outlander [Unabridged] [Audible Audio Edition] while doing little jobs around the house and yard. I read the first 4 or 5 books years ago and I am really enjoying the revisit to the book through listening.
I love those audiobooks, I must listen to Dragonfly in Amber soon! At least I have planned to get through the whole series in audio before the next book comes out. After giving up on reading the books after A Breath of Snow and Ashes, I got restarted last year by listening to An Echo in the Bone. It made me want to go back and start over again.

I finished Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson last weekend. I liked it, but not as much as I thought I would. The story wasn't entirely my cup of tea after all, and I think some of the voices Frederick Davidson did for the pirates were a bit over the top.

I am nearly finished with Brothers in Arms by Lois McMaster Bujold as well. I am enjoying listening to the Vorkosigan series more than actually reading it and I might get another one soon. If I don't get sidetracked by other books, that is.

I have also been listening to The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde during lunch breaks on my Kindle. It might be a while until I finish it, but I am enjoying it so far. Steven Crossley is a terrific narrator whom I first learned to appreciate when I listened to To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #589
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author
sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
I just finished Fuzzy Nation and enjoyed it. It was written decades ago by H. Beam Piper and published as Little Fuzzy, under which title it was nominated for a Hugo Award. But Piper's early death and various circumstances had led to its falling into public domain. John Scalzi was a fan of the original book and so, with the approval of the Piper estate, he updated the book and republished it under the new title. The new version, along with Wil Wheaton's fine narration, is a lot of fun, both funny and suspenseful. Well worth the time for any science fiction aficionado.
sgoldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #590
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
A very well read series of books, I enjoyed them as far as I got. And good value for your credit, with over 50 hours for each book. I got off them when I got to A Breath of Snow and Ashes. At the time they only had an abridged version of it and the next, and I wasn't interested.But they now have the rights and I should go back to them..
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #591
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am taking my time to really enjoy my revisit to the Outlander series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
I finished Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson last weekend. I liked it, but not as much as I thought I would. The story wasn't entirely my cup of tea after all, and I think some of the voices Frederick Davidson did for the pirates were a bit over the top.
Well darn. I just looked and my version has that same narrator; I was looking forward to that one. I checked Librivox and see from the below that 2 of them could be possibilities. Maybe I'll still give it a try with the Dramatic version or the one that is read by only one reader for the whole book.

Quote:
Stevenson, Robert Louis. "Treasure Island" · (readers)
Stevenson, Robert Louis. "Treasure Island" (in "My First Book") · (readers)
Stevenson, Robert Louis. "Treasure Island (version 2)" · (readers)
Stevenson, Robert Louis. "Treasure Island (version 3, dramatic reading)" · (readers)
Old 06-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #592
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
I am taking my time to really enjoy my revisit to the Outlander series.

Well darn. I just looked and my version has that same narrator; I was looking forward to that one. I checked Librivox and see from the below that 2 of them could be possibilities. Maybe I'll still give it a try with the Dramatic version or the one that is read by only one reader for the whole book.
If you "buy" the Kindle book for free, you can get this version narrated by Neil Hunt for 99 cents.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:34 AM   #593
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Thanks catlady, I like his voice from the sample.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:50 AM   #594
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Well darn. I just looked and my version has that same narrator; I was looking forward to that one.
You can still give it a try if you already own that one, maybe you will like it fine. Tastes vary a lot. Also keep in mind that I am a non-native speaker; exaggerated accents will sometimes put me off because they are hard(er) to listen to for me. I had the same problem with the narration of Stephen King's 11/22/63 when I listened to the sample at Audible, but I wanted the book so much and there wasn't another version available (there sometimes also are British versions up at Audible.de along with the American ones). It turned out that I liked after all, still I gave the narration only 4 stars, not five because for my ears it wasn't flawless.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #595
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Like Charlie said, contact customer service. They were able to combine my old account and password to the new linked amazon account for me. They are now all under one amazon account. I don't remember exactly how it worked, but I may have had to redownload some of them.
I just called Audible CS, and sure enough, this is a new feature...I've been trying to get my libraries consolidated for a long time!

No need to call CS as it turns out, if you know your old account credentials.
You just log in to the non-amazon account, go to Account Details, and under Account Settings, click the "NEW--use amazon account" link and enter your amazon info. Both my libraries were instantly merged into my amazon account.

Awesome.

Last edited by ApK; 06-27-2013 at 12:29 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #596
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great. Though I still can't merge in two old style accounts (one from Canada, one from the US) into my Amazon one. But that's OK, I can live with that. My US one has been merged with my Amazon account for a while, and I just let the Canadian one go into permanent hiatus. There are still a few books I can get on that account that I can't get on the US one.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #597
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Just started listening to Death by Water book #15 in Kerry Greenwood's Phryne Fisher series, read by Stephanie Daniel. Now I absolutely love the Phryne Fisher books, but this is the first of them that I've listened to as an audio book. An excellent reader with good pace and good character definition. I'm not able to judge the quality of accents, but they don't sound wrong to my North American ears.

For those who haven't yet discovered Phryne, you have a treat ahead. The series is set in 1928 Melbourne (and environs), with this book being set on a P&O cruise ship to New Zealand. Phryne is a wonderful character, sort of an Australian (and female) Lord Peter Wimsey, but much funnier and delightfully eccentric. The first in the series is Cocaine Blues.
Finished. Loved it! On to #16, Murder in the Dark.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #598
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
I'm listening to The Mystery of Mercy Close by Marian Keyes, or at least I'm trying to listen to it. Every time I plug in my headphones I fall asleep and miss chapters so I keep having to go back! I've had the audiobook on loan from the library for about six weeks now, if I was reading it I'd have been finished weeks ago. Maybe audiobooks are not for me.
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:59 AM   #599
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephjk View Post
I'm listening to The Mystery of Mercy Close by Marian Keyes, or at least I'm trying to listen to it. Every time I plug in my headphones I fall asleep and miss chapters so I keep having to go back! I've had the audiobook on loan from the library for about six weeks now, if I was reading it I'd have been finished weeks ago. Maybe audiobooks are not for me.
They do the same to me. But then lazing on a boat in the sun with the lapping waves gently rocking you, I'm not surprised you fall asleep .

The only way I can listen to them, and I do a lot, is when driving, or doing household and gardening chores.

Currently listening to Scare Me by Richard Parker, a twisted serial killer tale for the internet age, and am then either moving on to NOS4R2 by Joe Hill, or Joyland by his dad.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #600
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I'm listening to Forest Born by Shannon Hale. This is a full-cast audio recording, fourth in her Tales of Bayern series, and I'm enjoying it very much.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations