Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 04:32 AM   #31
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The others haven't yet been properly proofed, so I should wait for those. Currently doing "Pride and Prejudice", as you can see from my sig. I have, though, done the complete works of Dickens, if that's of any interest, plus various other stuff.

We now return you to the topic of this thread .
Hats off to you, Harry, a remarkable accomplishment.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #32
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
The sad thing is, if Harry did not speak up in this thread, I would likely never have learned about his superb EPUB editions. Amazon is, as of right now, offering the free e-book of Dickens's Great Expectations. I bet that version is completely inferior compared to Harry's version, yet people will be downloading the Amazon version en masse, instead of the fruit of Harry's labour of love. This is a typical problem for Project Gutenberg, too. Frequently they offer several versions of the same classic book, but readers just blindly download whatever version has the highest download numbers, which is (logically) in most cases the oldest, lowest-quality, worst-formatting, most typos-ridden e-version of that classic work.

Last edited by Faterson; 12-26-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #33
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
On a similar note... in the next version, Marvin will have a built in web browser that allows ePub downloads straight into the library without any "Open In..." fuss. Now, I would like to include a default link to Mobileread's ePub index. This would allow readers to find high-quality material very quickly and expose the great work done by the contributors. Is this fine/allowed? If so, are there any plans to publish the index as an OPDS catalog? It seems to me that there is first class material in the index that many users don't know about.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #34
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Now, I would like to include a default link to Mobileread's ePub index. This would allow readers to find high-quality material very quickly and expose the great work done by the contributors. Is this fine/allowed? If so, are there any plans to publish the index as an OPDS catalog?
It would be very useful. When Harry said, "Look at some of my uploads," I had great trouble locating them. A forum user-interface is not exactly ideal for cataloging purposes.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #35
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
The sad thing is, if Harry did not speak up in this thread, I would likely never have learned about his superb EPUB editions. Amazon is, as of right now, offering the free e-book of Dickens's Great Expectations. I bet that version is completely inferior compared to Harry's version, yet people will be downloading the Amazon version en masse, instead of the fruit of Harry's labour of love. This is a typical problem for Project Gutenberg, too. Frequently they offer several versions of the same classic book, but readers just blindly download whatever version has the highest download numbers, which is (logically) in most cases the oldest, lowest-quality, worst-formatting, most typos-ridden e-version of that classic work.
You should really get out more For example look at our wiki Notable eBook Uploads Available at MobileRead

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #36
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

It's not about me but about regular folks who, I'm afraid, have no idea that MobileRead exists... and let's not even mention high-quality EPUBs in languages other than English -- the situation is dire.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #37
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Dale, as I mentioned earlier on, for the next release of Marvin, I intend to include links and references to Mobileread's ePub index as well as the Notable Books upload section. The links will be to Mobileread's website - no scraping. I really hope this can help to introduce new people to this community and the high-quality books it hosts.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #38
Little Frank
Little Frank began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Nokia N800 with FBreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
One of my favorite sources for ebooks is https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...&sort=dateline
here on mobileread. Is there an OPDS for it? If not coming soon, I hope.
Little Frank is offline   Reply With Quote