Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Grantville Gazette question

Just picked up a Grantville Gazette package from Baen that includes Gazettes 1-10. As I'm adding them to calibre, I notice that I had a previous Gazette number as 5(V) that doesn't match the number 5(V) in the package.

Different covers, different contents. I see that it was part of the 1635 Eastern Front CD from The Fifth Imperium. Anybody know which is correct or where the CD version belongs?

On a side note, it looks like the Cyroburn CD has been removed from The Fifth Imperium's site by request. It's not likely coming back.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Just picked up a Grantville Gazette package from Baen that includes Gazettes 1-10. As I'm adding them to calibre, I notice that I had a previous Gazette number as 5(V) that doesn't match the number 5(V) in the package.

Different covers, different contents. I see that it was part of the 1635 Eastern Front CD from The Fifth Imperium. Anybody know which is correct or where the CD version belongs?

On a side note, it looks like the Cyroburn CD has been removed from The Fifth Imperium's site by request. It's not likely coming back.
The gazette was originally only an electronic release, then Eric Flint convinced Jim Baen to publish it in paper too. When published in paper, Eric wrote an additional story that had not appeared in the electronic only edition. This worked ok for the the first few editions, then it became obvious that the electronic editions were going to be waaay too far beyond the paper editions.

So, they decided to make the paper editions a "best-of" anthology instead of a direct copy. Eric continues to write a story to go with the paper. To differentiate the electronic-only versions from the paper versions (which are also available electronically through the webscription....) The used the roman numerals on paper and arabic numbers on e-only.

The gazette V was the first of the "best-of" editions, so it will be different from the gazette 5 which is e-only. Paper is up to VI ?? or so, e-only is in the 40s.

In addition, with the publication of The Kremlin Games, story material that had been in e-only gazette has been published in different, and sometimes expanded form. (a couple of the latest stories had different endings and details than what ended up in Kremlin games.)
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Ok.. I guess I sort of understand, but both are marked as Grantville Gazette V. Not V and 5. All very confusing. Guess I'll just enjoy the stories... Just about finished with 1632.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:17 AM   #4
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Ok.. I guess I sort of understand, but both are marked as Grantville Gazette V. Not V and 5. All very confusing. Guess I'll just enjoy the stories... Just about finished with 1632.
The problem is that they didn't start the naming convention until the e-only gazettes were much higher (when they made a commitment to go to 4 times a year, I think) So, yeah, there are some confusing names. The easiest way to tell is to look at the first story - if it's written by Eric Flint, then it's one of the paper editions. I ended up manually changing the title that lists in Calibre, just to scratch that itch.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote