Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
The decoder works a treat! And it's funny, but I feel like my DRM Mobipocket books are worth more to me now and I'm more willing to spend the money on them because now I know I will not be constrained in using them - I never realized how much I hate DRM.
I know exactly what you mean.

Now Sony users like me just need mobi/prc2lrf & I'd be really happy. I used mobi2html on the un-DRM'd file & it worked great to turn it into something I could convert.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It looks like the author saw this thread and reposted the the tool. Downloading it is easy; there is a button you click. You then have to rename the file to something.py and it will run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This also seems to work on AZW files by the way:
Code:
mobidedrm infile.azw outfile.mobi KindlePID
Amazon.com has got out of the e-book selling business before, leaving its e-book buyers with no way to move e-books to new devices. So it is comforting to know that there is a work around (at least for AWZ books) if they decide that there won't be a Kindle II or that Kindle I e-books are not transferable to Kindle IIs.
It doesn't yet work on AZW1 or TPZ. Oh, well.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
The decoder works a treat! And it's funny, but I feel like my DRM Mobipocket books are worth more to me now and I'm more willing to spend the money on them because now I know I will not be constrained in using them - I never realized how much I hate DRM.
And that's exactly why I wanted everyone to know about it.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #19
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
convertLit as i understand it constists of two part. One part that only remove the drm. And one part that pakes a drm free lit file and explode it.
One program, three modes of operation:
Code:
This program has three modes of operation:
First, is ** EXPLOSION **, or the expanding of a .LIT file into an
OEBPS compliant package.

Second, is the DOWNCONVERTING of a .LIT file down to "Sealed",
or DRM1 format for reading on handheld devices.

Third, is the INSCRIBING of a .LIT file which allows you to label
your ebooks.
Mode is selected by command line parms.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #20
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks, works great!
Btw, ConvertLIT has not been taken down yet, because their server is located in Poland. Read here: http://www.convertlit.com/legal.php
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #21
stxopher
Nameless Being

Because ConvertLIT is available my book budget has been over limit for months. I can only imagine the financial repercussions that would follow if I could move Mobi books around to my reader too. No way I can afford it!

(Though, do I really need cable? I'd have more books. Hmmmm...)
Old 02-09-2008, 11:20 PM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

Thumbs down

I only get errors, lots of errors. Doesn't seem to be a reliable program unless I'm missing something. I thought it would de-drm MobiPocket files, but I only get errors. Apparently it doesn't work for *.prc type MobiPocket files designed for the Palm OS.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:26 PM   #23
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I only get errors, lots of errors. Doesn't seem to be a reliable program unless I'm missing something. I thought it would de-drm MobiPocket files, but I only get errors. Apparently it doesn't work for *.prc type MobiPocket files designed for the Palm OS.
Worked fine on the Mobi .prc file I tried it on. If you post the errors you're getting maybe someone can help.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:19 AM   #24
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I got a few errors when I first tried to use it. Here are some things you can do:

Run the program from the same folder where the books are stored.
If any books have really long titles, first rename the book to a shorter title (don't use spaces in the name).
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:04 AM   #25
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But wasn't that because copyrighted code was used? In what respect is this program different from ConvertLit that has not been removed?
When I posted here my mobi decoder which didn't use Java libs it resulted in a C&D letter.
BTW it was also in Python and seems to have been the basis for this implementation.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:44 AM   #26
darkninja
darkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Convert eReader.com books to HTML

I made a script to convert eReader.com books to HTML

How to locate it:

Last edited by Patricia; 02-16-2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: DRM circumvention links are not permitted.
darkninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:46 AM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

[QUOTE=darkninja;148159]I made a script to convert eReader.com books to HTML

How to locate it:
1) Find the *******.
2) Replace the last part of the URL

Tried it on the freebie from Fictionwise (Bold Type Conversations) and get the error "incorrect eReader version (error 1)".

Last edited by Patricia; 02-16-2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Sorry but DRM circumvention links are not permitted.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #28
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have started an eReader Decoder Tool thread.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #29
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I removed a number of posts here because they violated forum policy. We do not discuss how to use DRM removal tools. M apologies if this offends anyone but rules are rules.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #30
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The mobidedrm tool does seem to allow Kindle AZW e-books to be read by MobiPocket Reader software and (all) MOBI e-books to be read on the Kindle.

However, it may not allow format shifting because the MOBI "exploder" mobi2html does not work on files that use "Mobipocket hufdif compression" (mobigen -c2). Most DRM-free MOBI files use simple compression, but it is unknown what fraction of DRM-laden files use hufdif.

It would probably be ok for mobi2html to add support for hufdif (particularly since there are some DRM-free MOBIs using it), but first someone has to work out how to decompress such files.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, drm, formatting, mobipocket