Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 12:55 AM   #166
netean
netean began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
run a script

I battled trying to install Duokan on my newly replaced Kindle (3.2.1) none of the binaries worked, tried the full duokan and last week's release of Duokan lite (which now supports epub as well I noticed)

In the end I discovered that you can SSH into the kindle using the usb networking hack and run a script to tell the kindle to run Duokan installer..
[ /mnt/us/DK_System/install/install.sh]
Despite being a geek, didn't really fancy the hassle of that so wrote my first launchpad script to do the same thing:

I say made, I actually completely copies the one that was made for the updated text to speech mod, so thanks to him in fairness.

Create a new text file, call it whatever you like.ini.. mine is duokan.ini

copy this into it

[Actions];; run Duokan installer F D = !sh /mnt/us/DK_System/install/install.sh &

save it in the launchpad folder, restart the kindle (I had to restart a couple of times)

Hit Shift F D

it *should* say success at the bottom of the screen. Restart the kindle from the main menu and, fingers crossed it should restart and reboot into Duokan.

Oddly, I noticed that doing so also mashed up my text to speech mod -may have just been me though?

So my kindle now has:

custom fonts,
custom screensavers
launchpad
fbreader
better Text to speech engine
Dictaphone mod, and
dual boots into Duokan.

won't say it wasn't all a massive fiddle, because it is, but I'm very happy now

If I can, happy to help anyone else.

Iain
Attached Files
File Type: zip duokan.zip (189 Bytes, 1186 views)
netean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #167
theresatwist
theresatwist began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by netean View Post
I battled trying to install Duokan on my newly replaced Kindle (3.2.1) none of the binaries worked, tried the full duokan and last week's release of Duokan lite (which now supports epub as well I noticed)
This was brilliant! I've spent all afternoon figuring out how to get DK on my new 3.2.1 Kindle as well, and your post finally did the trick!

Many thanks netean!

/tt
theresatwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 02:28 AM   #168
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by netean View Post
So my kindle now has:

custom fonts,
custom screensavers
launchpad
fbreader
better Text to speech engine
Dictaphone mod, and
dual boots into Duokan.
What? No CoolReader?

I actually had no problem installing Duokan on KDXG (with 3.2.1) as I just copied some files according to the instructions in the following thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125517.

But there is something I'm missing, so I'm wondering if it is a problem with my device.

While annotating in a pdf file, you could jump down or up 5 rows by using the following shortcut: shift + joystick down / up.
This shortcut does not work on my device.

Could some one, having done full install, confirm it is still available?
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #169
tracy2011
Connoisseur
tracy2011 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
For some reason your posts often get caught up in the Moderation queue. We do approve them (as with the post above where you ask), but I'm not sure why they do. I've actually reported your post to the Moderation area to see if we can stop the filter from stopping them.

Cheers,
Marc
you mean the installing package?
tracy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #170
tracy2011
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresatwist View Post
This was brilliant! I've spent all afternoon figuring out how to get DK on my new 3.2.1 Kindle as well, and your post finally did the trick!

Many thanks netean!

/tt
congratulations!
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 01:50 AM   #171
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy2011 View Post
you mean the installing package?
No, just any of your posts (like this one even) Our anti-spam measures seem to identify your posts as suspicious (it's a combination of things, like a lot of spam-filtering is). I'll PM you a suggestion, which might help things, okay?

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:11 AM   #172
tracy2011
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
What? No CoolReader?

I actually had no problem installing Duokan on KDXG (with 3.2.1) as I just copied some files according to the instructions in the following thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125517.

But there is something I'm missing, so I'm wondering if it is a problem with my device.

While annotating in a pdf file, you could jump down or up 5 rows by using the following shortcut: shift + joystick down / up.
This shortcut does not work on my device.

Could some one, having done full install, confirm it is still available?
Does this happen when you using PDF file?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:49 AM   #173
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy2011 View Post
Does this happen when you using PDF file?
yes, sir
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #174
MuzzaHukka
MuzzaHukka
MuzzaHukka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
I have Kindle 3 3G WiFi UK Model D00901. I tried Kindle D006 (Kindle 3 3G WiFi JB) and it worked. Here it says D006 is Kindle 3 but my one says D00901 so does that mean I need D009 firmware (Kindle DX)?
MuzzaHukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:32 AM   #175
tracy2011
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
yes, sir
shift+向下或者向上是五页翻 这是我们特意做的一个功能 在所有格式中都有(除了pdfde非文本模式)
shift+up key is our special function,it will exist in all formats(except PDF not text format).
You problem maybe exist when you press shift all the time.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:40 AM   #176
tracy2011
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzaHukka View Post
I have Kindle 3 3G WiFi UK Model D00901. I tried Kindle D006 (Kindle 3 3G WiFi JB) and it worked. Here it says D006 is Kindle 3 but my one says D00901 so does that mean I need D009 firmware (Kindle DX)?
you can go to the Amozon to ask this question.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #177
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Was playing around with Duokan. Was fairly easy to install, but I found the feature that I wanted to try (partial screen refreshes), actually made the pages turn SLOWER than the full-screen refresh with the flash. I don't get it. I was playing around with fonts and sizes for a bit, but everytime I tested flipping pages it was noticeably slower for me. I thought the partial screen refresh was supposed to make turning pages quicker?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #178
topquark
Connoisseur
topquark began at the beginning.

Device: K3, PW2
Hi. I need some help. I was able to install the duokan OS correctly in my Kindle 3 keyboard. I put a couple of PDFs in the DK_documents folder but I couldn't see them in the list. My list shows only my Kindle book list.

What I want to do is view only my PDF files in Duokan. I do not want to see the mobi files in my old Kindle list here. How do I do that? I've read here that there should be an option in the settings to turn "Kindle Lists" on or off but I couldn't find it. Is there a new way to do this in the new version? Thanks in advance.
topquark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:14 AM   #179
Tinderbox (UK)
Connoisseur
Tinderbox (UK) began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle DXG
I dont bother with the DK_documents folder , I just copy everything to the Documents folder , this is standard Kindle folder, and should contain your e-book before you installed Duokan, also if you use Calibre it sends your books to the Documents folder by default, and Duokan will see all the e-books/pdf inside without any problems.
Tinderbox (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #180
w_nightshade
w_nightshade began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I installed Duokan Lite on my Kindle WiFi w/ Special Offers, but it cannot see my mobi content - just my PDFs. What have I messed up (I am assuming I did something dumb)?

EDIT: It seems I am - no mobi support (yet?). IGNORE

Last edited by w_nightshade; 10-17-2011 at 04:55 PM.
w_nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duokan, faq, kindle