View Poll Results: What is your preferred justification
Left Justify 93 38.91%
Justified 120 50.21%
Don't care 26 10.88%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #76
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Hyphenation can be done in raw text (soft or conditional hyphens) but ideally it is up to the text layout engine to do hyphenation - just in practical terms, soft hyphens are difficult to error check and should only be inserted when automatic hyphenation messes up. (Most browsers ignore soft hyphens; Kindle actually displays a little square so you have to strip these out before creating a MOBI format ebook.)

'Correct' automatic hyphenation requires a language-specific hyphenation dictionary (hyphenation rules being irregular), but some heuristics can get applied even then (because dictionaries are never complete). For example, 'confusticating' is not in the dictionary, but with English heuristics you could safely hyphenate it as 'con-fusti-cat-ing'.

While most e-readers don't seem to support hyphenation of any kind (kindle won't even break a hard-hyphenated word), I've discovered that Kindle for iOS and Mac do (Kindle for Windows doesn't). It looks like hyphenation is a service the core frameworks provides, at least on OS X (the iOS docs are not as explicit on this). If that's the case, it is interesting that Apple didn't choose to support hyphenation in iBooks. When there is hyphenation, I wonder how apps determine what language to specify - not sure all ebooks necessarily specify this in metadata (even if they should), and of course, there could be more than one language being in use in a given book so you would need to have lang tags to delineate these.

I'm kind of neutral on the justification issue, except I think users should have the power to select whatever looks good to them. Hyphenation should be a part of the mix, and again I think it should be largely a matter of personal preference. E-book creators have no idea what the characteristics of the reading system will be (screen size/line length/line spacing/typeface) and hence they are in no position to dictate these terms.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-28-2010 at 09:02 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:10 AM   #77
SoZo
SoZo began at the beginning.

Device: none
I hate justified text

I like the spacing within the text to be even. I find when I am forced to read anything justified that it hinders the flow of reading.
SoZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2020, 02:15 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo View Post
I like the spacing within the text to be even. I find when I am forced to read anything justified that it hinders the flow of reading.
How did you read paper books before eBooks? pBooks have uneven spacing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:04 PM   #79
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How did you read paper books before eBooks? pBooks have uneven spacing.
Most pbooks use micro-justification (letter spacing changes as well as adding extra space between words) and manual assisted hyphenation. Heck, I remember Wordstar on a Qume daisy wheel printer way back in 1986 doing micro-justification and it looked pretty decent except when it decided to shrink the space between words to allow a line to fit.

In contrast, ebooks tend to add normal (~.25 em) spaces between words which at times gets very ugly.

Perhaps one day an ereader will handle micro-justification and feathering so we'll stop hearing complaints about gaps at the bottoms of pages as well but that day isn't here yet.

And the sad part is that in the 10 years since this thread was started, there have been no real improvements.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:39 PM   #80
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

Perhaps one day an ereader will handle micro-justification and feathering so we'll stop hearing complaints about gaps at the bottoms of pages as well but that day isn't here yet.

And the sad part is that in the 10 years since this thread was started, there have been no real improvements.
Don't hold your breath.

The last reader app produced by people who really cared about typography was MS READER. And we saw what that got them.

Wall garden apps care about selling more than presentation and paid apps care more about feature checklists. And the industry people who care about presentation don't care about ebooks.

That's life.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2020, 06:32 AM   #81
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Except if you wear your reading glasses (if needed) and have a 7" @300 dpi screen with font size similar to a mass market paperback then the full justification isn't bad. On a 6" screen it's not so good.
On a 6" with lower DPI and a bigger font because the smaller font looks bad or you really need glasses, the full justification starts to look poor. A 6" phone screen is worse because it's aspect ratio means it's narrower than even a 5" Sony PRS350.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:54 PM   #82
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
With the obvious exception of poetry I don't like Left Justify and, if I find it in a book, I transform it in Justified.

May be that many people don't really care of it (and of hyphenation ecc) and simply read the book, but I am not so lucky so I had to learn a bit of css/html to handle and modify what I don't like.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:05 PM   #83
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I would generally prefer justified so that's what I voted for, but I really don't like when justification isn't done well. My most comfortable ereader text size is rather large and the worst is when one long word is ridiculously stretched out across a line all by itself.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:22 PM   #84
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I would generally prefer justified so that's what I voted for, but I really don't like when justification isn't done well. My most comfortable ereader text size is rather large and the worst is when one long word is ridiculously stretched out across a line all by itself.
Or three longs words in a row so you get two words on a line with ~25% of the line blank between them.

For me, these old eyes need a larger font size which exacerbates the justification issue.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:46 PM   #85
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Just prior to the pandemic, I checked a large type version of a book that I was enjoying on my ereader out of the library and compared the two. I liked the justification on the large type pbook.

Yes, the large type book was micro-justified as you could see some lines where the space between characters was increased as well as the space between words. Unless I was looking for it, it didn't really kick me in the eye and the flush left and right margins were aesthetically satisfying.

Then I set my Forma to justified and the difference was very noticeable. Partly that my Forma has a narrower page so fewer characters on the line even in landscape mode but also that justification on the Forma, as far as I can tell, only uses increased space between words to justify which, to me, is extremely annoying. A "Rivers 'R Us" page is a pain to read.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:49 PM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Just prior to the pandemic, I checked a large type version of a book that I was enjoying on my ereader out of the library and compared the two. I liked the justification on the large type pbook.

Yes, the large type book was micro-justified as you could see some lines where the space between characters was increased as well as the space between words. Unless I was looking for it, it didn't really kick me in the eye and the flush left and right margins were aesthetically satisfying.

Then I set my Forma to justified and the difference was very noticeable. Partly that my Forma has a narrower page so fewer characters on the line even in landscape mode but also that justification on the Forma, as far as I can tell, only uses increased space between words to justify which, to me, is extremely annoying. A "Rivers 'R Us" page is a pain to read.
Are you reading ePub or KePub? RMSDK does use variable width spaces whereas KePub does not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:22 PM   #87
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think it was on the Daisy or epub consortium accessibility site (or are they the same thing) and they recommended ragged right because justified causes uneven spacing between words.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:35 PM   #88
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Are you reading ePub or KePub? RMSDK does use variable width spaces whereas KePub does not.
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Of course kepubs have variable width spaces between words. How else could it do full justification?

I'm looking at one now. If you take any line in isolation then the spacing is constant between each word on that line. But the word spacing on the next/previous lines probably won't be the same as that line. It depends on how long the words are are on each line.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:35 PM   #89
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Near as I can tell, the spacing is the same using either kepub or epub in the small sample I checked. The problem is that the only way to justify is to increase the spacing between the words and not the spacing between the characters in a word.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:50 AM   #90
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
If You are talking about something like this:

https://texdoc.net/texmf-dist/doc/la.../microtype.pdf

I don't know when it will be possible. But after many years colour is coming (let's hope) so also microtypography for erader one day could come.

Until now Epub2 - Epub3 and their implementation in ereader are far from the perfection of Latex (and do it once, in a physical page - pdf is like a phisical page - is much easier).

Last edited by ps67; 06-01-2020 at 01:55 AM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote