Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
reamo
reamo began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
pdf with missing picture

Hi, Goodreader, iAnnotate and Safari can't see pictures (or have missing pictures) when reading a certain pdf file which can be read by Adobe Reader. Anyone got a clue why?
reamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
That's odd... I make manga pdfs that are nothing but images and they show up fine in Goodreader. The only pdf feature that I've noticed is missing from most of the iPad reader apps (except iAnnotate pdf) is annotation support.

Maybe post the pdf so that someone with pdf tech knowledge can help you better. Or you could try emailing the support team of one of the reader apps.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
reamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
That's odd... I make manga pdfs that are nothing but images and they show up fine in Goodreader. The only pdf feature that I've noticed is missing from most of the iPad reader apps (except iAnnotate pdf) is annotation support.

Maybe post the pdf so that someone with pdf tech knowledge can help you better. Or you could try emailing the support team of one of the reader apps.
http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/1927...47-am-48k?da=y

Ok, above is the link... note one can see the picture inside the pdf in a PC computer using Windows Explorer or even Windows Safari. But when you load up in the ipad. The picture is just blank. Try it. Now does anyone know how to make the picture appear in Safari, Goodreader, IAnnotate? what iPad App can show the picture?

Last edited by reamo; 05-23-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
reamo

Try to save the file at the computer and email it to yourself and read it in the ipad.. you will not be able to see the picture inside the pdf in Goodreader, Iannotate or even Safari, the great mystery is why?
Old 05-24-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
simple, the pics are in a format the iPad can't decode. if you can decompile the PDF and find the native format you'll find your answer. targa? bmp? something more obscure? your desktop must have the codec for it.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 01:42 AM   #6
reamo

I extraced the picture.. it is just plain jpeg and the Ipad photo can display it after putting it in the picture folder.... so I wonder why Goodreader and others can't display it... hmm...
Old 05-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
hmm.. progressive format? bad headers that are choking goodreader? there has to be something about the image. have you contacted goodreader's support?
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:57 AM   #8
calica
calica began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Jpeg2000

It's a codec issue. If they're jpg they're probably Jpeg2000. All iPhone and iPad apps must use Apple's PDF renderer and it is limited. Best solution is to load PDF in Preview (on a Mac) and "Save As". This work around is via GoodReader's website. Maybe the FAQ section. I think there was a Windows workaround as well. I really hope OS 4 fixes this.
calica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #9
reamo

This is my workaround. I extraced the pictures into a folder... and then copy and paste each picture back into the pdf document.. however, the 4 MB file becomes 16 MB. I wonder why it becomes much bigger.. anyone?