Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Neole
Neole began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 605
Best (approximately 7 inch) sub-250$ reader for color comics (unzipped CBR/CBZ)?

I currently use an Archos 605 for reading comics. I need something bigger that doesnt need so much zooming. I am totally out of date with the current breed of portable players.

Any recommendations please?
Neole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
iakovl
Connoisseur
iakovl began at the beginning.

Device: none
i enjoy my V7 but even the Q7 if you can fined it will do the trick
iakovl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
If your main goal is to read comics then I'd recommend anything that has Windows CE or Android and will run ComicReaderMobi. The lens feature works great and almost totally negates the need for zoom.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
dmitry
dmitry began at the beginning.

Device: none
Look at this device:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/26/h...ships-march-1/

But screen only 800*480 .
dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
Neole

Thanks, looks like many of these android devices are coming soon. Should I wait for something like MiniHal or go in for a Q7 V7 right now? I can wait a couple of months if it will get me more harddisk like my current archos (160GB).
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neole View Post
Thanks, looks like many of these android devices are coming soon. Should I wait for something like MiniHal or go in for a Q7 V7 right now? I can wait a couple of months if it will get me more harddisk like my current archos (160GB).
Excuse me being nosey but how much of your 160GB do you actually use?
p.s. Don't answer if you don't want to
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #7
Neole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation.A.List View Post
Excuse me being nosey but how much of your 160GB do you actually use?
p.s. Don't answer if you don't want to
Its 60 GB full at the moment. I have a lot of music videos mostly and maybe 10 GBs of comics.. Dont watch movies on this.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neole View Post
Its 60 GB full at the moment. I have a lot of music videos mostly and maybe 10 GBs of comics.. Dont watch movies on this.
That would be a few SD cards worth then
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Won't you find a 7inch device too small still?

I'm planning on using an iPad for my comic reading and even then the 9.7" screen will not be as big as it should be really for comics. But it's the best I'll be able to get for a while considering the form factor, weight and size, plus comics will look great on the IPS screen.

At 7inch i'm guessing you'll still have some zooming to do. Whereas at 9.7" you shouldn't really have to zoom at all. I've already done some experimenting with my tablet pc using a window at the same dimensions of the iPad display and this gives me a perfectly readable comic without having to zoom. I'm not sure you could do that at 7inches.

Of course it all depends on what kind of comics your reading really.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #10
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltop View Post
That's why I recommended ComicReaderMobi. The convenience of the lens feature can't be overstated imho. You just tap the text and it magnifies exactly the spot you want to read, it's really nice. There is a Windows version on the dev's forums that works really well on tablet pcs(and is free).
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
Neole

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltop View Post

I'm planning on using an iPad for my comic reading and even then the 9.7" screen will not be as big as it should be really for comics. But it's the best I'll be able to get for a while considering the form factor, weight and size, plus comics will look great on the IPS screen.

At 7inch i'm guessing you'll still have some zooming to do. Whereas at 9.7" you shouldn't really have to zoom at all. I've already done some experimenting with my tablet pc using a window at the same dimensions of the iPad display and this gives me a perfectly readable comic without having to zoom. I'm not sure you could do that at 7inches.

Of course it all depends on what kind of comics your reading really.
I read comics in landscape mode with fit to width, and then scroll down the page. That way zooming is not required. I wont be reading in portrait mode.

9 inch is a bit too big to carry around, 7 inch seems a good compormise between portability and reading.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
Neole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndx View Post
That's why I recommended ComicReaderMobi. The convenience of the lens feature can't be overstated imho. You just tap the text and it magnifies exactly the spot you want to read, it's really nice. There is a Windows version on the dev's forums that works really well on tablet pcs(and is free).
I saw the comicreadermobi demo video, but I dont like the idea of the zoomed text hiding the artwork. I read comics mostly for the artwork!
Old 03-11-2010, 05:22 AM   #13
watchbot
watchbot began at the beginning.

Might want to hold off on the MiniHal. Could be a scam.
watchbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #14
Caesius
Melancholy Clown
Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Nook Tablet (had Cruz SE & PDN's before)
Re: Using It For Comic Books

I like my 7" Black Pandigital Novel. Some find it too small. But at "fit to screen" I like it just fine. It reads cbr and cbz without a problem (or rather, the Android Comic Viewer I use doesn't have a problem). It is not terribly expensive (it was a gift, the person got it on QVC -- allowing them to pay over 4 months using Easy pay).

It has standard 4GB -- and I've read (but have never attempted) that you can open it up and switchout the 4GB microSD to one of your liking. It also accepts up to 32GB from an external SD. All the info is out there online, of course, and I know I'll leave something out. I am not a super user or anything. And while I am not familiar with the other devices available world-wide, it is one of the best for the price. At least NOW. Only in the last part of 2010 did they bring their A-game. And I may be mistaken, but it seems you have memory requirements which are way above what I'd expect a smaller device to handle. If not, I'd take a look at it.

Now there is one issue with the 7" PDN which could be a deal breaker. It would be for me, if I had a vast amount of choices. That is the command bar at the bottom of the page (BACK, HOME & SETTINGS) does not go away when you view a COMIC BOOK page and thus obscures the bottom of the page making a cell sometimes unreadable unless you move it yourself.

Last edited by Caesius; 05-20-2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Clarifying All Comments Are "Comic Book" Specific
Caesius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #15
mrkarl
Connoisseur
mrkarl began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre pro
I have an asus 9 inch tablet.....it works well for a putting a whole page on the screen and it's clear enought to read...I found it too small......so far the best thing I've found for reading comics is a used motion Le 600.......11 and a bit inches....perfect size the comics look great on it and the price was around 250
mrkarl is offline   Reply With Quote