Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
nigelquest
nigelquest began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2 & nook
"Formatting Issue" with Nook. How to resolve or it goes back

I bought a Kindle 2 a few weeks ago and was lucky enough to pick up a nook yesterday to compare. I definitely like the way the nook looks and feels better. However, the Kindle is still substantially faster and has much better battery life.

I would consider keeping the kindle hoping the battery life and speed will be improved in future firmware updates, but there is one issue I just cant get past. Whenever I switch back and forth between books the kindle randomly decides to do its formatting thing. This can take from 15 seconds to 2 minutes depending on the book. This is all on books Ive already started reading. I can understand it doing it the first time you open a book, but 50% or more of the time is annoying. This happens on downloaded books from B&N and from books I have converted to epub with Calibre. The demo unit in the store had the same issue as well.

Does anyone know a workaround or how to fix this or do you all experience this and just live with it. I wont be able to. The form factor is nice, but I consider this a serious defect that makes it not worth it. Thanks for any advice!
nigelquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
LessPaul
Connoisseur
LessPaul doesn't litterLessPaul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021 / PC / iPad
I just live with it. It typically takes about 5-10 seconds with a typical book, but books with lots of graphics will take longer.
LessPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
nigelquest

Dracula seems to be the worst. Its weird that it doesn't do it every time. Youd think it would just do it the first time.

Does anyone not have this? Maybe I can exchange.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
Has anyone seen any difference in the time it takes to format a non-DRM book vs one with DRM and any time difference between the old pdb format and the new ePub books? I remember back when I read ebooks on my palm pilot with eReader, the eReader software decrypted the DRM'd book as you read it (if the battery got too low, I would just start to get gibberish on the screen because the Palm would start disabling running services to conserve power) so I wonder if slow formatting times are because the nook is having to decrypt each page before it displays it.

I have a nook on preorder, so hopefully this is something they can fix.
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
nigelquest

I have a book in non drm epub format that is does it about 50% of the time. I read somewhere that the location of the files could make a difference. Im going to try and copy everything in to my documents and the library and see what happens.
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelquest View Post
This can take from 15 seconds to 2 minutes depending on the book.
It may well depend on the book, but 10 secs seems to be the average for me. With the latest firmware, if you reopen the last book, the "Formatting" is gone, but not when you switch books. Maybe it will be fixed in a later firmware, maybe not, but like others, I personally do not find it a problem - YMMV.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelquest View Post
I would consider keeping the kindle hoping the battery life and speed will be improved in future firmware updates, but there is one issue I just cant get past. Whenever I switch back and forth between books the kindle randomly decides to do its formatting thing. This can take from 15 seconds to 2 minutes depending on the book. This is all on books Ive already started reading. I can understand it doing it the first time you open a book, but 50% or more of the time is annoying. This happens on downloaded books from B&N and from books I have converted to epub with Calibre. The demo unit in the store had the same issue as well.
Just want to clarify that you actually mean "nook" where you have written "kindle".
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
nigelquest

Oops. Yes. Nook : )
Old 01-15-2010, 12:05 AM   #9
pbennett
Enthusiast
pbennett began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
Just try to use the dictionary on the Nook, to highlight things, add notes or search.
Compare those to the Kindle and you'll have your decision. The nook is a disaster.
pbennett is offline   Reply With Quote