Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 06:08 AM   #1
Tazzers
Tazzers began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
New and thinking about buying.......

Hello. New to the forum. My name is Phil, I'm in my early 40s and from the UK.

I am thinking about buying a Kindle. I know it ships from the US for $259(US) which is about £160 in British pounds. Can I trust the simple exchange rate or will I be paying £259(UK), or will there be any other hidden charges that I need to know about?

Thanks

Phil
Tazzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Phil and welcome to MobileRead. UK Kindle owners will log in shortly with advice for you.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
Tazzers

Thankyou cassidym.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi Tazzers, welcome to MR!

Sorry I can't help either. If you don't get an answer here in "Introduce Yourself", you could try another message in one of the Kindle forums.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Hi and welcome to mobileread.

I don't know about the exchange rate but you do need to be aware of import tax through customs which you will end up paying as it comes from the US. This could add a significant extra to the cost - maybe someone else will have an idea of just how much this may be.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
Tazzers

Thankyou poshm. This is what the blurb says about shipping to the UK:

"Your international shipment is subject to VAT. This is the same VAT rate you pay when you buy products in your country. There are NO customs duties or any other fees. We will show you the estimated VAT upon checkout. Learn more"

Which seems straight forward enough but I am trying to find out if there are any hidden charges.

Cheers
Old 12-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Crickey, no customs duties, that must be a first! Whenever I've ordered items from the US it's ended up costing me heaps more. That sounds very good then.

I can't think of any other hidden charges unless there are some associated with using your credit card and the exchange rate? But I can't see why there would be.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote