Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 05:32 AM   #1
UncleIvor
Enthusiast
UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kobo readers, Sony readers from the past.
Extracting text

I prefer to format my own ebooks using OpenOffice. Is there a quick and easy way of extracting the text [either as plain text, but preferably as RTF] from ebooks?
UncleIvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:41 AM   #2
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
"Ebooks" is a rather broad term encompassing a metric crapload of formats. Calibre can convert many formats to and from many formats. Not all, and not all will look as dashing.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 06:14 AM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
At the moment I prefer to read PDFs on my iREx digital reader, so I have some of the same issues as you do.

How to extract the text, depends on what type your source files are. Firstly, you will need to remove DRM. AFAIK this is not possible with .LRF (BBeb) files, but it is with many others, such as epub, prc and lit.

Then with a DRM free file, you can do a number of things. What I've found to be easiest, was to open the file in Stanza (reader application), copy all, and paste to OpenOffice. There are other ways to get at the text, but I've found that most often the source is a collection of html files, and using Stanza you get all in one go. I haven't tried with DRM'd files but I doubt it will work.

calibre can also convert to a number of formats, but not as many as Stanza. As far as I remember you can also convert to RTF directly in calibre, but the quality was not usable for me - perhaps it is for you.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
UncleIvor
Enthusiast
UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kobo readers, Sony readers from the past.
Thanks for that. I too convert my files to PDF. I'll have a look at Stanza.
UncleIvor is offline   Reply With Quote