Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 04:54 AM   #61
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
Wrong - in Germany the act of removing a copy protection is considered a crime.
It is considered a crime, but there won't be any prosecution if you remove copy protection merely for private use. Though the copyright holder still may file for a civil action law suit.

So, if you remove DRM, just don't go out and brag about it. Simple as it is ...
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:58 AM   #62
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Well well well. Looks like I got it right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
My guess is that Sony is planning a replacement for 700 aimed at academic market and is going to release it before the start of the school year. Other actions that I think are likely:
1) Mac version of eBook Library
2) Switch to EPUB in the eBook Store
3) Firmware update for PRS-505 and (hopefully) PRS-700
4) Price drop for PRS-505 or an updated model with the Epson controller.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 05:03 AM   #63
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Well well well. Looks like I got it right!
I hope you're right about Number 3)
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:30 AM   #64
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
Sorry folks, but this is just a smart business move against Amazon and it's all about money & power. Stop thinking of Sony like they're the Free Liberation Front. You're just changing one lock for another...
Never a truer word was spoken. And once we are down to a single monolithic format, is there anyone who really thinks that they won't come up with a more secure form of DRM?
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:34 AM   #65
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
Never a truer word was spoken. And once we are down to a single monolithic format, is there anyone who really thinks that they won't come up with a more secure form of DRM?
The day i can't get rid of drm anymore, simple, i won't buy anymore. I'll read public domain, and go back to good old paper books for the rest.
Someone tried to put too restrictive drm on their stuff, it went badly (EA and spore anyone ?). Restrict your customers too much, and said customers will say "screw you !".
I sticked to buying cd's for music because of that, will do for e-books too.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 08-13-2009 at 05:38 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 05:38 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
Doesn't really matter if they do in that circumstance, does it? The whole point about having a single "industry standard" format is that you can then freely move your books between devices, so DRM becomes irrelevent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:39 AM   #67
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I hope you're right about Number 3)
This has been confirmed as well.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:42 AM   #68
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur
Alan Baxter doesn't litterAlan Baxter doesn't litter

Device: Laptop for now, iPhone soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
The day i can't get rid of drm anymore, simple, i won't buy anymore. I'll read public domain, and go back to good old paper books for the rest.
Someone tried to put too restrictive drm on their stuff, it went badly (EA and spore anyone ?). Restrict your customers too much, and said customers will say "screw you !".
I sticked to buying cd's for music because of that, will do for e-books too.
Exactly. I buy CDs and rip them into iTunes then play them on my iPod. I bought one album from the iTunes store once. When I got a new computer and tried to move it, it wouldn't let me.

[Edited] you iTunes store, hello again dear old Sanity.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-13-2009 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Expletive deleted - Don
Alan Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:42 AM   #69
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
This has been confirmed as well.
Err

YAY!!!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:43 AM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Baxter View Post
Exactly. I buy CDs and rip them into iTunes then play them on my iPod. I bought one album from the iTunes store once. When I got a new computer and tried to move it, it wouldn't let me.

[Edited] you iTunes store, hello again dear old Sanity.
Sounds as if you didn't have both PCs registered to the same iTunes account. If you do so, you can freely move content between them.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-13-2009 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Expletive deleted from quoted post - Don
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:45 AM   #71
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur
Alan Baxter doesn't litterAlan Baxter doesn't litter

Device: Laptop for now, iPhone soon.
Ah, well, that's possible - but it's still too much trouble.
Alan Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:46 AM   #72
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is tough for those remaining PRS-500 owners, but strategically I think it's clearly the right thing to do. Kudos to Sony.
The PRS-300 seems to have hardware specification very similar to PRS-500. Who knows, perhaps we are going to see a new firmware for PRS-500 after all.
If they really stop selling lrx e-books there *will* be a strong reaction from owners of "good ole 500s". Not that I buy anything from Sony store that is priced more than $0, but still ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:54 AM   #73
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
The PRS-300 seems to have hardware specification very similar to PRS-500. Who knows, perhaps we are going to see a new firmware for PRS-500 after all.
If they really stop selling lrx e-books there *will* be a strong reaction from owners of "good ole 500s". Not that I buy anything from Sony store that is priced more than $0, but still ...
It would be great if they retro-fitted the 500's with ePub support through a firmware update. And if they did it would be a smart move; more people to buy from them, more people not buying from Amazon
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:55 AM   #74
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Baxter View Post

F**k you iTunes store, hello again dear old Sanity.
Actually i wish to see them try.
I mean ubisoft went very restrictive, complain complain complain, next game had no DRM.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 11-19-2010 at 02:48 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:12 AM   #75
evdberg
Enthusiast
evdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle Paperwhite 3
As already a few members mentioned above, what does this mean for the 1st gen PRS-500 users? Will we be left out in the cold? Or will we finally receive the firmware upgrade we have missed before (without any good reason)?
evdberg is offline   Reply With Quote