Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #391
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raswan View Post
Is possible to change identation between Chapter title and Chapter subtitle appearing in TOC? In Kindle is ident too big.
Yes you can. That setting is modified in Word in the Tables dialog box.

If you open the template for edit. (Right click on the BookCreator.dot file and select edit) your setting will be applied to all future books.

Look in the "Index and Tables..." dialog. Found in the menu "Insert|Reference|Index and Tables...". It's in the <Table of Contents> tab. The button that modifies the indentation is under the <Modify> button.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #392
abandon
abandon began at the beginning.

Device: android tablet
Some instructions would be nice!
Is there a manual, or web page or something??

Ok so I open the template, and I paste my text into it, then what?? Save as?

I have a text with a lot of quotes in indented paragraphs, and I want to process the file so the indents/italics appear in ePub format. Text is regular .doc format.

Thanks for any pointers.
abandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #393
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abandon View Post
Some instructions would be nice!
Is there a manual, or web page or something??

Ok so I open the template, and I paste my text into it, then what?? Save as?

I have a text with a lot of quotes in indented paragraphs, and I want to process the file so the indents/italics appear in ePub format. Text is regular .doc format.

Thanks for any pointers.

Yes sorry I've been wanting to create a video tutorial but have not gotten around to doing one.

However the tool in itself is not so difficult to use. Simply import the text format the text using MS word and the macros provided in by the tool.

When you want to create an ebook depress the "Create eBook" menu button and it will open a dialog box. Chose the format you wish Mobi, ePUB, PDF,etc... and off you go.

Note: BookCreator requires calibre to create eBooks.

=X=
Old 08-06-2011, 04:40 AM   #394
abandon
abandon began at the beginning.

Device: android tablet
Thanks. I await the tuturial ..
I'm sure it's not hard to use, but so many things going on ... that the tutorial vid will give a headstart.
abandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #395
Raswan
Raswan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yes you can. That setting is modified in Word in the Tables dialog box.

If you open the template for edit. (Right click on the BookCreator.dot file and select edit) your setting will be applied to all future books.

Look in the "Index and Tables..." dialog. Found in the menu "Insert|Reference|Index and Tables...". It's in the <Table of Contents> tab. The button that modifies the indentation is under the <Modify> button.

=X=
It seems doesnt work, this settings modify only "inserted" TOC (by InstTOC), not TOC generated by BookCreator when converting doc to mobi.

Last edited by Raswan; 08-07-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Raswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #396
qtgemini26
qtgemini26 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Hi Ortep,
Great question, my assumption for writing the tool in Word was that everyone knows how to use Word. And you know what they say when one "assume".

Okay so getting to your question. There are two ways to get the template to work with your desired text.

Method 1: Copy and Paste:
Is the easiest, you double click on the BookCreator.dot file and a new document opens up. Then you cut and paste the text you want to edit in the document. Typically I have my web browser up to with the target book I want to edit, another word document that I am editing.
The real drawback here is if the document is huge, I'm talking about book pages that equate to several thousand pages, or lots of graphs. Then this methods will not be optimal

Method 2: Import File
shighfield solution is way better than my original method 2 so I'm updating it with his solution. (Thank you shighfield)

1)Double click on the BookCreatot.dot Template
2) Select menu option "Inset|File..."
3) Find you document and Select the <Open> button.

=X=
I'm REALLY new at this, so please bear with me. I have a hard copy of a book, and when I scan it to myself it automatically goes to pdf format. Is there either 1) a way to scan it automatically into word format or 2) a way to convert pdf to a word document? If I could figure this out, I think it would save me a lot of time. I'm reading tons and tons of posts, and this seems to be the key that I'm missing.
qtgemini26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #397
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtgemini26 View Post
I'm REALLY new at this, so please bear with me. I have a hard copy of a book, and when I scan it to myself it automatically goes to pdf format. Is there either 1) a way to scan it automatically into word format or 2) a way to convert pdf to a word document? If I could figure this out, I think it would save me a lot of time. I'm reading tons and tons of posts, and this seems to be the key that I'm missing.
It sounds like you have an imaged base PDF, with image based PDF there is no way to edit the text because it's an image.

You need an application that performs OCR(Optical Character Recognition). Once you run the PDF through the OCR it will become text base and you can edit the file.

An example of a good OCR program is ABBY FineReader that converts PDF to Word. I've use this tool myself but it is quite expensive.

There are some free OCR programs out there but they are not very good. The best in class is FineReader.

=X=
Old 10-21-2011, 02:24 AM   #398
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
I have found a wonderful utility that converts pdf over to txt / html and allows you to edit sections of it before the pdf is converted over.

It is called PDFMasher, http://www.hardcoded.net/pdfmasher/

You load in a pdf, and it displays each line of text, you can sort by columns, which is handy to group things like page numbers from a scanned book, and mark them to be ignored when you generate the output file.

I have no association with the creator / website etc for pdfsmasher, just a very happy user.

I would process your pdfs first using this program, then load them into word / bookcreator to do final editing / clean up etc.

It works wonders for me.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:10 AM   #399
Haloman800
Haloman800 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hey, just a suggestion I'd put a little description of what your program actually does, the only info I see on it is that you can use Word to create eBooks.. Maybe a list of features? I know I'd like to see them, I hope I'm not the only one heh
Haloman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #400
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haloman800 View Post
Hey, just a suggestion I'd put a little description of what your program actually does, the only info I see on it is that you can use Word to create eBooks.. Maybe a list of features? I know I'd like to see them, I hope I'm not the only one heh
Good suggestion. Your not the first. I've been wanting to write a video tutorial. But I don't have a good desktop recording app for linux or windows

=X=
Old 10-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #401
blanca_luz
blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle DXi-Touch-Keyboard-FireHD; Nook Touch Glowlight; Sony PRS-T1...
=X=

Thank you so much for BC

I can create GREAT mobi files for my Kindle; very easy to use

Thank you, thank you very much for your great work.
blanca_luz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #402
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanca_luz View Post
=X=

Thank you so much for BC

I can create GREAT mobi files for my Kindle; very easy to use

Thank you, thank you very much for your great work.
Thank you, glad it's working for you

=X=
Old 10-27-2011, 05:40 AM   #403
Nils
Nils began at the beginning.

Device: PRS350
Maybe I am dumb

Hi there, maybe I am dumb, but where is the download link where I can get this tool??????? I am in dire need of it. was directed here but no link!
Pls Help i finally want to read this book on my reader!!
Cheers
Nils
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #404
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Not dumb, just new... It's OK. Our usual convention for downloadable files is to place them in the first post of the thread, and update there as appropriate.

And that's where you will find BookCreator, down at the bottom of the first post in this thread...

Cheers
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #405
qtgemini26
qtgemini26 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
I have found a wonderful utility that converts pdf over to txt / html and allows you to edit sections of it before the pdf is converted over.

It is called PDFMasher, http://www.hardcoded.net/pdfmasher/

You load in a pdf, and it displays each line of text, you can sort by columns, which is handy to group things like page numbers from a scanned book, and mark them to be ignored when you generate the output file.

I have no association with the creator / website etc for pdfsmasher, just a very happy user.

I would process your pdfs first using this program, then load them into word / bookcreator to do final editing / clean up etc.

It works wonders for me.

Do you have any experience with Calibri?
qtgemini26 is offline   Reply With Quote