Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
BookCreator Tool v3.5

Hi All,
The current version of BookCreator 3.5 now works with calibre 0.6

New Features:
  • Combined eBook Creation dialog to just one.
  • Added support for eReader, PDF, ePUB, LIT,
  • More styles.
  • Batch creation of eBooks.
  • Works with Calibre .6+
  • Support for MS Word 2007 and later
  • Dropped support for IMP file creation.

Requirements
  • Windows XP or later
  • MS Word 2003 or later
  • Calibre 0.6 or later

NOTE:
For MS WORD 2007 and higher users download the BookCreator 2007.zip file.
For MS WORD 2003 and lower download the BookCreator_2003_v3.5.02.zip file.

For MS Word 2003 users, if you are getting a "VB Run time error 5981" update to the latest version of BC.

See post for more detail on the 3.5 update.

BookCreator.dot
Is an eBook creator tool. This tool is an MS Word template with VBScript code, the tools is designed to optimize and simplifying the book creation process.
Since this tool is an MS Word template, one can take advantage of all of the editing rich features provided by MS Word for editing and creating an eBook. In addition the template provides a set of editing tools, formatting features, and Styles to simplify the eBook creation process.

Examples below
I've converted two books from beginning to end with this tool.
"Call of the wild", by Jack London
"Laws of Success Lession 3" by Napoleon Hill

The "Call of the Wild" took me 5min tops to create from beginning to end. That is pulling down the data from Project Gutenberg to a Final LRF. In the past this process would have taken me on an average of 1/2 hour per PG book.

The "Law of Success Lesson 3" took me 1/2 hour this includes the whole time spent. From converting it from a PDF to the final product LRF. Prior to BookCreator.dot this same file took me 4 hours to convert a PDF to LRF.
NOTE: Book links have been removed to remove the clutter. Only attachments to the tool is left.

Features
  • Updates BookTilte/Author properties with one button click
  • Inserts a Table of Content with one button click
  • Chapter detection one button click
  • Smart Word Wrap fix
  • Page Break one button click
  • Default Styles (Title/Sub Title/Verse/etc..)
  • Remove extra paragraph breaks.
  • Text Editing tools
    • Fixed em-dash (converts -- to em-dash)
    • Italic converter, converts txt with underscore _My Text_ to italics
    • Smart Italic converter, converts txt in ALL CAPS to italics (only converts "_1 Text" styled fonts)
    • Removes leading white space
    • Converts ASCII carriage return and/or line feeds to Microsoft Word paragraph type. This elevates some of the edit problem that arises when editing.
  • LRF: Create an LRF eBook (Requires calibre )
  • ePUB: Create ePUB (Requires calibre)
  • MOBI: Create MOBI eBooks (requires calibre)
  • LIT: Create LIT eBooks (requires calibre)
  • PDB: Create eReader (PDB) eBooks (requires calibre)
  • PDF: Create PDF eBooks (requires calibre)
    • Save directly to your ereader (SONY/Kindle/Pocket Pro) just add the correct path (Device must support USB mass storage)

Creating eBooks from an MSWord Document

Since BookCreator now creates (LRF/ePUB/MOBI) from the GUI the conversion section was removed and reposted see "Converting a MSWord document" for additional ways to convert BookCreator to an eBook.

LATEST VERSION
BookCreator_v3.5.zip
History
BookCreator_v3.0.zip(185 KB, 2500 views)
BookCreator_v2.6.1.zip (246.0 KB, 1199 views)
BookCreator_v2.5.2.zip (226.1 KB, 460 views)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BookCreator_Screenshot.png
Views:	8678
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	17433   Click image for larger version

Name:	BC_2007.jpg
Views:	3887
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	81990  
Attached Files
File Type: zip BookCreator_2003_v3.5.02.zip (162.3 KB, 3996 views)
File Type: zip BookCreator_2007_v3.05.03.zip (205.4 KB, 8027 views)

Last edited by =X=; 03-02-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: New version v3.5
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I just used this tool to create an LRF version of Richard Herley's The Stone Arrow. I like the program and give it two thumbs up.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
It sounds great.

But can you explain how to use it? I understand you can use it for the (re)formatting of eBooks in a form that Word can read so you can create a good looking eBook from the result

I'm not really good with Word, I double clicked the file and a new document opened with buttons indicating the various functions. But as soon as I try to open a file I'd like to edit, I end up with no buttons at all. I'm sure I'm doing something stupid, but what?
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Ortep: Import>File. When you open the template with the tools showing, now import your book and it will work the way you expect it too. I'm not really good with word either, but that did it for me yesterday, and I must admit this template is really REALLY nice.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How to edit existing text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
It sounds great.

But can you explain how to use it? I understand you can use it for the (re)formatting of eBooks in a form that Word can read so you can create a good looking eBook from the result
Hi Ortep,
Great question, my assumption for writing the tool in Word was that everyone knows how to use Word. And you know what they say when one "assume".

Okay so getting to your question. There are two ways to get the template to work with your desired text.

Method 1: Copy and Paste:
Is the easiest, you double click on the BookCreator.dot file and a new document opens up. Then you cut and paste the text you want to edit in the document. Typically I have my web browser up to with the target book I want to edit, another word document that I am editing.
The real drawback here is if the document is huge, I'm talking about book pages that equate to several thousand pages, or lots of graphs. Then this methods will not be optimal

Method 2: Import File
shighfield solution is way better than my original method 2 so I'm updating it with his solution. (Thank you shighfield)

1)Double click on the BookCreatot.dot Template
2) Select menu option "Inset|File..."
3) Find you document and Select the <Open> button.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 08-28-2008 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Change my method 2 with shighfield method.
Advert
Old 08-28-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard

BTW to all Do not use the "_AUTHOR" and "_BOOK TITLE" style directly. Use the Toolbar buttons for this. The reason is that the buttons update the document properties as well as apply the styles.

These properties are used by most the eBook generators.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for both of you

Word is so complex and has so many possibilities that there is always a lot that you don't know.

BTW, I found method 3

1) Open the file by double clicking or any other way you like,

2) Select menu option: Tools

3) Choose tab Templates

It is more or less

4) Select Add

5) In the next window you can choose the template

6) Double click it

it is more or less shighfield's method backwards

Last edited by Ortep; 08-28-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
Ortep
Fanatic

I did some testing and ran in a few errors. I guess I need something 'more'

When I use: Book Title, Author, Title, Sub Title and Verse I get a:

Quote:
Runtime Error '5941':

The requested member of the collection does not exist
Word wrap Fix and Remove extra paragraphs are working fine
Old 08-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
I did some testing and ran in a few errors. I guess I need something 'more'

When I use: Book Title, Author, Title, Sub Title and Verse I get a:

Word wrap Fix and Remove extra paragraphs are working fine
It's the way your attaching the template (See attached image). What you have to do when you attach the template to the document is check the "Automatically Update Document Styles" (step 2 in the image) so that the styles are loaded in the documents.

The error you are getting is the code is looking for a style name (like _AUTHOR, _BOOK TITLE, etc..) since the styles where not loaded when you attached the document it reports an object not found error.

Your method 3 was originally my method 2 but I changed it because the steps seemed involved and proved to be troublesome if not attached properly.

=X=
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Attaching_Template.png
Views:	4810
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	15723  

Last edited by =X=; 08-28-2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
Ortep
Fanatic

Thanks it's working now!

I can start to work with it and find other stupid ways to ruin it
Old 09-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard

There is a minor update to the BookCreator.dot tool. See first link for the new version BookCreator_v1.02.zip
Old 09-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard

Minor release fixes bug should remove the "Do you want to save template changes." message that occurs when saving the main document, even though there where no changes to the template file.

BookCreator_v1.03.zip
Old 09-02-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Hi =X=:

I wanted to let you know that I've used your word template tool on two books I've assembled and BookCreator Tool is absolutely incredible.

I just wanted to let you know that you've saved me hours of work in translating a text file into something that's incredibly useable prior to my loading the book into BookDesigner.

Thank you very much for your work.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Hi =X=:

I wanted to let you know that I've used your word template tool on two books I've assembled and BookCreator Tool is absolutely incredible.

I just wanted to let you know that you've saved me hours of work in translating a text file into something that's incredibly useable prior to my loading the book into BookDesigner.

Thank you very much for your work.

Don
Hi Don,
Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad you find the tool useful and even happier to know you have saved hours.

=X=
Old 09-03-2008, 02:24 AM   #15
Ortep
Fanatic

The tool is absolutely fantastic. It really saves hours of work. And it is so simple that even I can work with it. I almost never userd Word before I tried to work on eBooks. I always did everything in Notepad++

Thanks!!