Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Iliad screen is messed up

I´ve got my iLiad a few weeks ago. I started the iliad and the screen looks very messed up.

Outside nothing is broken (I was very careful with the screen).

Is the screen still in a prototype phase (are we beta testers as well)?

Anyway, how do I send in the iliad for warranty (I live in Germany)? The irex onlineshop isn´t very clear about that.

Greetings and thanks ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_screen.JPG
Views:	699
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	12987  

Last edited by joblack; 05-22-2008 at 06:06 PM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:58 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You have a broken screen substrate. This is due to mechanical impact or twisting of the screen and will NOT be repaired under warranty, I'm afraid. Sorry. iRex will replace the screen, but the cost will probably be somewhere around €200 or more.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2008, 05:48 AM   #3
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
275 Euro to be precise.

Im sorry for you, this is the Super-GAU. I also had a broken screen although the iLaid was in the shoulder bag!!

Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:21 AM   #4
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

F**k ... what the hell.

It was always in that shoulder bag. They should give additional warnings ... *do not touch it* (ok, I wouldn´t read the manual anyway ... but).

---

Ok, ok ... that doesn´t solve the problem. Be constructive ... relax ...

---

Where do I repair it? How does it work exactly?

Last edited by joblack; 05-23-2008 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Where do I repair it? How does it work exactly?
http://support.irexnet.com/

Fill out a ticket. Sometimes it takes a day or two to get a reply. You'll be notified about replies by email, but don't reply to the email if you have a follow-up, make sure you use the ticket system.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
To add to what daudi said, once they contact you about the repair they'll send you a box to pack the device in to. Then you ship the box back to them.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:56 AM   #7
joblack
Wizard

Thanks for the information.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
DonRobodroid
Paper?! Who needs paper?
DonRobodroid began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad v2, iPhone 3GS
I'm starting to get nightmares about this broken substrate topic. Every time I pull my iLiad out of the shoulder bag, I'm quite panicky that it shows these symptoms...

But I don't want to transport it in a thick heavy fully padded metal box either as that seems to be a bit contraproductive to the thought of a mobile read device. Hmmm...

Ah, the pains of being an early adopter...

Cheers,
- Don [:-]
DonRobodroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #9
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
The iLiad's been around for what... two years now?
Hardly "early" anymore
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
DonRobodroid
Paper?! Who needs paper?
DonRobodroid began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad v2, iPhone 3GS
Although apparently conceived in the 70s and seriously developed in the 90s, I think the whole e-Ink manufacturing process is still in its beginnings - being no absolute mainstream display technology. That's why I insist on the "early" attribute...

Hey, after all I just want to be able to throw my reading pad on the table, like they do in Star Trek...

Cheers,
- Don [:-]
DonRobodroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's really not that delicate. Avoid putting pressure on the screen and you'll be fine. eInk devices seem pretty immune to shocks - it's pressure that does the damage. If you can, avoid putting it in a bag with other heavy objects.

Throwing it onto a table is actually a pretty safe thing to do .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #12
joblack
Wizard

There was no direct pressure from outside. It was always in the shoulder bag and the only pressure could be some writing paper or a book in the backpack (even that should be no problem because the book was not pressing with the edges).

Perhaps some hard metal (platinum?) in the shoulder bag should do the trick ...

Anyway - the repair service should give IREX a nice extra profit ...
Old 05-23-2008, 01:43 PM   #13
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
I transport my iLiad in the "deluxe cover"

http://www.justread.de/shop/product_...vhs5ibkus3q535

It is protected rather well from shocks. I transport it daily together with my subnotebook in my backpack also stuffed with books, dancing shoes or whatever the day calls for and had no problems so far.

It has beein said altough, the iLiad screen to be quite fragile to "twisting pressure".. I never dared to try out what happens if I take it at the ends with both hands and twist it, so to have the insight: "Oh yes, it indeed breaks if you do this"...

Interesting enough in both cases I read about sudden display crack, it was always the provided shoulderbag people give a good iLiad in and took a defective out... hmmm.. (the third case I read about here was a someone who droped his cellphone onto the iLiad screen...)

Last edited by axel77; 05-23-2008 at 01:47 PM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #14
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRobodroid View Post
Hey, after all I just want to be able to throw my reading pad on the table, like they do in Star Trek...
LOL
Oddly enough, i was just watching late night (rerere)reruns of TNG the other day, and thought the EXACT same thing when i saw Picard throw the PADD on the table. "Wouldn't do that with an iLiad, would ya?"

Anyway, i haven't mistreated mine in any way, certainly didn't throw it around and carried it exclusively all by itself in a front, cosy, internal vest pocket or in my hand and it still didn't do me much good - as it has a line out fault.
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
A line out isn't caused by physical damage, it's a defect in the screen/controller. That's why it's usually covered under warranty where a broken screen like joblack's is not.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote