Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #31
LH07
Enthusiast
LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LH07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet
I. Have an Acer a500 android tablet and I love it, I use moon reader pro, kindle and kobo apps on it
LH07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #32
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
I am not in favour of the Nexus because there is no SD Card expansion slot.
The Nexus is a like a sports car without a lot of storage room.
It's a downside, and I don't understand why Google omits the slot ...
Google wants you to keep your content in their Compute/Storage Cloud.

Last edited by livramax; 08-28-2013 at 01:34 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #33
Ranny
Connoisseur
Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Running a 2013 nexus 7 as my main reading device. Keep majority of my ebooks (mobi) on Dropbox and export to moon reader as required. Works perfectly for me. If I'm out and about can use phone as hotshot to download.
Ranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #34
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
Google wants you to keep your content in their Compute/Storage Cloud.
I'm still a bit leery of the cloud but I admit that it isn't so bad if you have a reliable internet connection. I was already using services like Pandora for music. So using Play Music for my collection wasn't much of a leap. I still have a hard collection on both my laptop and phone but the cloud is great too. It allows me to leave extra space on my tablet that would otherwise be taken up by music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
Running a 2013 nexus 7 as my main reading device. Keep majority of my ebooks (mobi) on Dropbox and export to moon reader as required. Works perfectly for me. If I'm out and about can use phone as hotshot to download.
I'm surprised that I actually like the 2013 nexus 7 for reading. With the high pixel density, text is so clear that's it an absolute joy to read on. I'm using Aldiko pro along with the Kindle and Kobo apps at the moment.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:56 AM   #35
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
I've got the new Google Nexus 7 2013 version and I'm loving it.

I'm using moon plus reader, first the regular and nOw the pro version.
Mantano Pro, also, cool reader, fb reader, komik, acv, jjcomics all Seem to work well.

Best screen I've seen yet... Pixel density is just amazing. It's also quite speedy compared to my old kindle fire original. No regrets.
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #36
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I got my Nexus 7.2 now too (companies need to stop calling different devices by the same name!), and well, it's the most beautiful device I have ever owned. That display is unlike anything I have seen before. It's gorgeous! My iPad 2 now looks extremely pixelated to me, and even my laptop (17", 1920x1080) seems crude. I doubt I'll be able to go back to any lower resolution tablets.

This is a device that almost screams for a case and a screen protector, but it won't be getting either. My iPad never got a scratch in two and a half years of intense use, and I think any sort of screen protector would diminish and degrade the Nexus' display. And a case would take away from its lightness and slimness. (It'll get a bag.) The back feels good, but it's not on the same level as the aluminium backs of the iOS devices.

The size/resolution is strange and will take me some time to get used to (it's very wide), and this device really is a fingerprints magnet. Really nice to be able to just connect it to the computer and drop files on it instead of having to go through special software (iTunes). The stereo surround sound is also fantastic, and much louder than the iPad.

From the e-book perspective, the extreme crispiness makes this an (inside the house) alternative to the e-ink devices. I still think e-ink is easier on the eyes, but I can see myself getting used to reading on this marvel of technology. It's very fast and snappy.

Bought MoonReader+ Pro, Cool Reader and Calibre Companion (this is actually a strong reason to consider the Nexus as my primary reader) and I think I like MoonReader best. Can't quite decide if I prefer portrait or landscape (single page) mode for reading, and I keep flipping through themes and fonts. (Need to look up how to get the modified Minion Pro font on there.)

As with the iPad before, I'm sure this is a purchase I won't regret. It'll be a bit costly for a bit while I re-buy types of apps that I bought for iOS over the years (stuff like Plex for video streaming from the laptop, a nice backgammon app, and various games), but at least future expenses will be lower (I'm likely to stick to Android devices, since there is more choice and they cost less).

I'm glad I waited until the revised model came out. It's really a gem.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #37
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Hi Alex,

I recently bought an android tablet and I must admit that this toy is really funny to use. This is my first "shot" with this system, and I do not know if this is related to android or the tablet itself, but is much faster than my netbook.

Anyway this is not easy to precisely help you because I don't know what is available (and at which cost) in your country but I know that you are looking for a small device. For myself I choosed an Acer A1-810 for 2 reasons: 8" screen and a low price ($200 cnd). Indeed, I think that 7 inches is too small and 10 too tall. The specs are good: quad-core processor; 16 gig; Bluetooth 4; card reader (very important to me) and so on. However, two obvious weaknesses: the screen (only 1024 x 768) and the sound via a single speaker. That being said, the sound is excellent with headphones and the screen is readable. Overall, this tablet works very well. Not perfect, but for the price I can't complain.

Now after the positive aspects, the dark side of the fun! I'm may be too cautious: you can find a lot of free (and not free) good apps in the android world, but there is a tradeoff and I would summarize this tradeoff as follows: you give some pieces of your private life for them. Indeed many apps want a lot of permissions, access the web, read your mail, identify your bookmarks, etc.

In this particuliar context, even if this is a limitating factor, I will never put my main mail account on it, just to avoid some possible "indiscretions". This is not necessary related to Google (Google knows everything about us anyway!) but mainly to many of the other developpers, more or less eager for our private information.

Hope this help a bit!
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #38
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
I got my Nexus 7.2 now too (companies need to stop calling different devices by the same name!), and well, it's the most beautiful device I have ever owned. That display is unlike anything I have seen before. It's gorgeous! My iPad 2 now looks extremely pixelated to me, and even my laptop (17", 1920x1080) seems crude. I doubt I'll be able to go back to any lower resolution tablets.

This is a device that almost screams for a case and a screen protector, but it won't be getting either. My iPad never got a scratch in two and a half years of intense use, and I think any sort of screen protector would diminish and degrade the Nexus' display. And a case would take away from its lightness and slimness. (It'll get a bag.) The back feels good, but it's not on the same level as the aluminium backs of the iOS devices.

The size/resolution is strange and will take me some time to get used to (it's very wide), and this device really is a fingerprints magnet. Really nice to be able to just connect it to the computer and drop files on it instead of having to go through special software (iTunes). The stereo surround sound is also fantastic, and much louder than the iPad.

From the e-book perspective, the extreme crispiness makes this an (inside the house) alternative to the e-ink devices. I still think e-ink is easier on the eyes, but I can see myself getting used to reading on this marvel of technology. It's very fast and snappy.

Bought MoonReader+ Pro, Cool Reader and Calibre Companion (this is actually a strong reason to consider the Nexus as my primary reader) and I think I like MoonReader best. Can't quite decide if I prefer portrait or landscape (single page) mode for reading, and I keep flipping through themes and fonts. (Need to look up how to get the modified Minion Pro font on there.)

As with the iPad before, I'm sure this is a purchase I won't regret. It'll be a bit costly for a bit while I re-buy types of apps that I bought for iOS over the years (stuff like Plex for video streaming from the laptop, a nice backgammon app, and various games), but at least future expenses will be lower (I'm likely to stick to Android devices, since there is more choice and they cost less).

I'm glad I waited until the revised model came out. It's really a gem.
Yep.. I have had many.. Notes, Nooks, iPad Mini, iPad 4 etc.. the Nexus 7.2 is the Cats Pajamas.. best device I have ever put my hands and eyes on.. the screen resolution is absolutely perfect.. I can't see how it can get much better..awesome reader.. crisp and easy on the eyes..
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:03 AM   #39
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks again for all the responses and information. I didn't get a tablet for Father's day after all, but the 2013 Nexus 7 has just become available in Australia, and I will be getting one for Christmas.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:33 AM   #40
rabe_de
rabe_de began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle 4NT, PocketBook 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks again for all the responses and information. I didn't get a tablet for Father's day after all, but the 2013 Nexus 7 has just become available in Australia, and I will be getting one for Christmas.
"You NEVER ever will need a tablet!"

... was what I thought until I got one.

Now there's not a single day without intensive use of it. ;-)
rabe_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #41
littevers1991
littevers1991 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
I'm thinking of buying an Android tablet, primarily for testing the ebooks I design on Android. I've had a very quick look at a Samsung Galaxy 6" in a store, but I'm very confused about the different tablets available and the apps I would need. So I thought I'd ask here for help from people who know what they're doing.

I want a tablet which has a six inch screen, and is available in Australia. It must have an app which can read validated ePubs, or have such an app available for it. It would be nice but not essential to also have an app which reads azw2/KF8.

Any suggestions? Can anyone point me to a review or comparisons of android tablets?
I think you should definitely go with Samsung Tab 2 as its pretty cheap and has great specs. Also talking about memory, it comes with 1 GB of RAM and 8/16/32 GB of internal storage which can be further expanded upto 32 GB via MMC. So i suggest you to go with it.
littevers1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #42
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by littevers1991 View Post
I think you should definitely go with Samsung Tab 2 as its pretty cheap and has great specs. Also talking about memory, it comes with 1 GB of RAM and 8/16/32 GB of internal storage which can be expanded upto 32 GB via MMC. So i suggest you to go with it.
the screen resolution on the Galaxy Samsung Tab 2 is terrible.. don't spend your money on it..that is why it's so cheap now.. out of date..
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:12 AM   #43
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks to you both, but I've made up my mind to buy the 2103 Nexus 7 - that is, to get my wife to buy it for me for Christmas.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #44
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Quote:
Thanks to you both, but I've made up my mind to buy the 2103 Nexus 7 - that is, to get my wife to buy it for me for Christmas.
I think that's a good decision. FYI I just bought my second 2013 nexus 7, to put together a gift package for my mom with it, an external drive, all the books, all the movies, and all the tv shows that she could possibly want for essentially the next... uh, year or so. fingers crossed that the otg cable and external drive work as online forums say they will.

Last edited by Merischino; 09-20-2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #45
Nikola Tesla
Formerly TT
Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch/ Nexus 7/ Nexus 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by abilene456 View Post
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 this is what i am using now...it has 8 inch display, ,the light profile and slimness make it very comfortable to hold and operate; you will feel the magic of Tab 3 especially while reading e-books.Keys are placed coreectly..very user friendly and comfortable..it will be a worth buy
Touchwiz.

Unless he's willing to go through the trouble of flashing ROM's (Sounds like he isn't) then I wouldn't recommend Samsung.
Nikola Tesla is offline   Reply With Quote