Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-26-2023, 09:02 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sigil-2.0.2 Released

Sigil-2.0.2

Sigil-2.0.2 is a bug fix release. This is a highly recommended upgrade as many serious crashing bugs have been fixed in this release.

Changes in this Release
  • fix incorrect clip tool button insertion point due to null activeWindow value
  • fix Windows multiple screen issues when not properly identified (Qt6.5.2 patch fix)
  • fix Mac Accessibility related crashes when using non-native QFileDialog (Qt 6.5.2 patch fix)
  • workaround MacOS QMessageBox loss of focus Qt 6.5.X bug without hurting other platforms
  • fix pretty print mend not formatting mathml
  • fix Accessibility related crashes in QFontComboBox (Qt 6.5.2 patch fix)
  • prevent crashing if user mistakenly tries to delete entire ncx in CodeView
  • harden delete unused styles to trailing whitespace in class names
  • fix unrecognized media-types application/xml and text/xml
  • fix cursor just before end tag bug in align justify, centre, right
  • fix crash when all metadata removed by user in MetaEditor
  • fix macOS min in Info.plist to be the actual 11.0
  • update Windows and macOS installers to use Qt6.5.3

--------------------------------- Notes -----------------------------------

The latest version of the Sigil User Guide can always be downloaded from the Sigil website, or from its own GitHub repository.

Please check the Sigil website for important Sigil support links, additional resource downloads, and platform-specific trouble-shooting tips/requirements.

The MacOS builds are signed but they are NOT notarized. See this PageEdit/Sigil issue for more information.

PGP Fingerprint (for signed tags and source archives):
Code:
B5A5 6206 AB0F BC1A 24EF AB8A A166 D29A 8FCD AC63
All Sigil binary (and source) downloads can also be found as assets at the bottom of The Sigil-2.0.2 Github Release page.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-28-2023 at 05:59 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 09:02 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Post Reserved for future use.
Advert
Old 10-27-2023, 11:50 PM   #3
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Minor nit at the bottom of the first post:

> The Sigil-2.0.1 Github Release page.

Text is wrong, but link it right.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 12:24 AM   #4
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
A download, install and quick play around with a few epubs on Windows 10 all went smoothly.

Thanks as always to Diap and Kevin as always for your great work on Sigil!
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 12:54 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I've tried editing about 8 epubs without using windbg and so far no unexpected closes.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-28-2023 at 12:57 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2023, 02:46 AM   #6
Capricorn
Connoisseur
Capricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
Using 2.0.2 on 8 epubs went smoothly. (Using win 11 pro build 22621.2428)

A very big thank you for all the heavy lifting.

Last edited by Capricorn; 10-28-2023 at 02:48 AM.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 07:13 AM   #7
repilo
Enthusiast
repilo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I think something is wrong in my case. When I tried to select files in the left pane using the shift + down arrow keys, sometimes it was not working, sometimes it was working, but I can't play it consistently. Finally, when I clicked on the save icon, it just closed the application.
I'm sorry I can't give more details, other than I'm using Windows 10.

Edit: Just to add that when I installed the new version the first thing that appeared was a Windows warning, something that did not happen when I installed the previous version again.

Edit: I'm very sorry, I think the first error is due to a glitch in my shift key.

Last edited by repilo; 10-28-2023 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Add information
repilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 07:41 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by repilo View Post
Just to add that when I installed the new version the first thing that appeared was a Windows warning, something that did not happen when I installed the previous version again.
The Windows warning typically happens when the new installer has not been seen enough yet. Either that, or your unnecessary (IMO) third-party Windows anti-malware is being overly paranoid/aggressive.

There is nothing structurally different about this installer in comparison to previous ones. The Sigil code-source changes compared to the last release are trivial. The main difference is a newer version of Qt6.

Try uninstalling your current version of Sigil and making sure its program directory is empty before installing 2.0.2. No preferences will be lost and hopefully Window's overzealous security "features" should be appeased.

Other options are to install Sigil using winget or Chocolatey. They both use the official Sigil installer, but they've scanned and approved it, so Windows doesn't pop a bunch of silly warnings about "unknown publishers" and "potentially harmful" programs when using their repositories. They both had Sigil 2.0.2 available in less than 24 hours after release.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-28-2023 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-28-2023, 08:25 AM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Another way past that windows warning message is to click on "more info" and then it gives you the option to install anyway. If you are really concerned you can check the hash code before installing, but I've never had to do that with Sigil.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 09:25 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I've had one report where stupid Norton was blocking the Sigil 2.0.2 installation because the installer was trying to delete files from Sigil's own program directory. The Sigil installer has ALWAYS done that. And why would it be a problem in an in-place update/install?

The InstallDelete functionality of InnoSetup is standard, and Sigil has used it to create its Windows installers for years and years.

Just further proof (for me) that third-party Windows antivirus programs are a waste of time, money, and resources. They cause more problems than they prevent.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:48 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

Just further proof (for me) that third-party Windows antivirus programs are a waste of time, money, and resources. They cause more problems than they prevent.
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

I've removed one Norton Suite from a neighbour's PC, and 11 Avira's (from teacher's laptops at a local school) in recent months.

BTW Norton, Avast, Avira, and AVG are all Symantec brands, which has rebranded itself as 'Gen Digital'.

Sigil and Page Edit 2.0.2 installed fine for me.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 02:02 PM   #12
Capricorn
Connoisseur
Capricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
https://robert.ocallahan.org/2017/01...re-except.html
Capricorn
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 10:21 AM   #13
MRA
MRA began at the beginning.

Device: none
I just updated today. All attempts to open ANY epub file crashes Sigil 2.0.2.

How might I re-intstall Sigil 2.0.1 instead please?

I never ever had any problems with crashing bugs in Sigil 2.0.1. But now, I can't even open epubs I previously used Sigil to edit.

After initially only updating, I think completely uninstalled Sigil, reinstalled Sigil, and restarted my machine. The problem remains. ALL epubs crash Sigil.

I use Vipre (antivirus). As it is very efficient, I tried turning it off. The problem remains.

I'm running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga.
MRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 10:59 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Just reinstall 2.0.1. There is no upgrade/downgrade process for Sigil.

Sigil 2.0.2 updated its Qt to 6.5.3, so making sure your video drivers are updated to the latest version is always a good idea.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-17-2023 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-17-2023, 11:31 AM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Sounds like broken system extension that generates thumbnails for the epub file type. Try rebooting with System Extensions off or in Safe mode.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote