Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-30-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
iRex iLiad goes retail! Now sold at Dutch book stores

Remember my friendly chat with iRex employee Peter Maas, in which Peter told me that iRex is trying to expand its retail channels? Well, congrats to them for finding the first bookstore company in the Netherlands to sell their e-reader along with e-books in-store! From the iRex Blog:

Quote:
The Dutch bookstore chain, Selexyz will start with the sales of e-books and the iLiad from November onward. The iLiad will be on display and for sale at the Selexyz bookstores in Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Utrecht. As a promotion the first iLiads will be provided with an e-book edition of Max Westermans new book 'In alle staten'.
In a geek's wildest dream, millions of Dutch people are now going to flood bookstores and fetch an iLiad. Consequently, the price will go down below 200 Euro, thus making the iLiad one of the most affordable and attractive e-reader devices currently out there. Ok stop. Uncontrollable drooling alert.

PS: Dutch TV RTL reported on the iRex-Selexyz deal. Check out this video clip and start at around point 7min.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
In a geek's wildest dream, millions of Dutch people are now going to flood bookstores and fetch an iLiad. Consequently, the price will go down below 200 Euro, thus making the iLiad one of the most affordable and attractive e-reader devices currently out there. Ok stop. Uncontrollable drooling alert.
I'll say... you need waders around here!

But it would be nice, wouldn't it?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
grayfox
Connoisseur
grayfox doesn't littergrayfox doesn't littergrayfox doesn't litter

Device: Razr/iLiad
It would be nice if Selexyz sold some books in english also...

Jerry
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
<troll>I picked one up in store waited an hour while it booted up and read a couple of pages then the battery ran out</troll>
I'm hooked ..i want one!
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
It would be nice if Selexyz sold some books in english also...

Jerry
True, it is unfortunate that they only sell books in Dutch.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2007, 07:24 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That was a joke.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That was a joke.
well it sounds like double dutch to me

Last edited by THJahar; 10-30-2007 at 07:31 PM.
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:12 AM   #8
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
Just checked.
According to the site available now, but for €649,-
Too much, but still, after reading for years about readers coming soon, this is the first one that is actually available here in Holland without having to import it through the net. So IMO this is a significant step for readers in Europe to become a mainstream product. Let's hope others will follow soon.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:34 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's very good news indeed!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:57 AM   #10
GregS
Zealot
GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ Reader 5", Iliad
I am very interested in the Iliad (biased because of cheapness towards the Sony) for school use (none are available in Australia).

The Iliad's pen could be a major asset in High School contexts (I am not talking of writing recognition, but graphics only) - does any one have experience in using it.

For instance, how fine can the "point be made" in practical terms, for clear writing that isn't scrawled all over the place?

What is it like to write with, too slippery, easy etc.,.?

How clear is the writing can someone post actual examples, from large print, to a small neat hand?

I have been looking and looking on the net for examples of the printed product of the pen, and have found none.

If students (bearing in mind their dreadful handwriting) could actually use this for writing, I can see this going far, or being adopted elsewhere. The Wifi and open architecture does offer possibilities of students writing and teachers receiving whereas paper goes astray (or is said to every time work is due).

I shudder at the idea that it would make students' handwriting any worse, but I think they have hit rock bottom already.

Basically could it be used as it is now for such a purpose?
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:48 AM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I use mine as my only notebook at this point. I'll try to post some pictures tonight (I left my iLiad at home this morning).

There are some software enhancements I'd like to see to note-taking ability, but the hardware is there now.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:03 AM   #12
GregS
Zealot
GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ Reader 5", Iliad
Thanks nekokami I look forward to seeing the notes for real.
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:18 PM   #13
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
>>In a geek's wildest dream, millions of Dutch people are now going to flood bookstores and fetch an iLiad. Consequently, the price will go down >>below 200 Euro, thus making the iLiad one of the most affordable and attractive e-reader devices currently out there. Ok stop.

Also, early adopters of the Iliad will be elevated to god-like status (in order of purchase order number) for their foresight and wisdom. This elite group of sages then proceeds to rid the world of all evil, puts a stop to global warming, and establishes a new paradise on Earth.
With a little bit of hacking help from AdamB.

Ooooooh, I can't wait...
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:53 PM   #14
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo View Post
Also, early adopters of the Iliad will be elevated to god-like status (in order of purchase order number) for their foresight and wisdom. [...]

Ooooooh, I can't wait...
Well I have written emails like "please let me buy your iLiad." to iRex before the official shop opened. I don't think Gods would behave like this.

Enough of OT.
How big is this bookstore chain Selexyz in the Netherlands? Can I find it all bigger towns?
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:02 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo View Post
Also, early adopters of the Iliad will be elevated to god-like status (in order of purchase order number) for their foresight and wisdom. This elite group of sages then proceeds to rid the world of all evil, puts a stop to global warming, and establishes a new paradise on Earth.
With a little bit of hacking help from AdamB.

Ooooooh, I can't wait...
I, for one, welcome our new Iliad Early Adopter Overlords.