Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-04-2016, 10:58 AM   #1051
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You can select an arbitrary number of saved searches in the 'usual' way (ctrl+left mouse button click) and execute them - Find/Replace/Replace All.

I don't think there's a way to save the multi item selection so you can reuse.

BR
I just gleaned this.
The simple difference between Calibre and Sigils way, is you could run the group in Sigil.

The (chain) Order in which replaces are done can be important in many cases. Does the selection list ALWAYS run from top to bottom?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #1052
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can re-order the entries in that list and filter them by any string, which means the functionality is a strict superset of groups. It is less discoverable than groups however.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2016, 03:41 AM   #1053
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Could you expand on that a bit?
As Kovid and BetterRed already answered thats the way I do it. In addition I collect similar S&R definitions together and export/import it as S&R sets. This give me the opportunity to have a more or less clean set of actions available what can be used when ever I need a suitable set for S&R.

Edit:
Maybe this pic will give you aa example how I use S&R with the editor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S&R.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	147608  

Last edited by Divingduck; 04-05-2016 at 04:00 AM.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:39 AM   #1054
Francois_C
Zealot
Francois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I also use a unique, class for clarity when it encompasses the whole paragraph,
Code:
<p class="foo">Stuff</p>
instead of
Code:
<p class="foo"><span class="bold"><span class=:big">Stuff</span></span></p>
Bigger CSS, but smaller TEXT section files
I often redefine <p> this way:
Code:
p {font-size:1em;text-align:justify;text-indent:0;margin:0 0 0 0}
p + p {text-indent:1em}
and replace all occurrences of:
Code:
<p class="foo"><span class="bold"><span class=:big">
with <p> and remove the unused classes. This may considerably reduce the HTML size.

French editors often use such delirious class names as
Code:
<p class="texte_courant_avec_indentation">
and this tag is repeated, say, 3,000 times in the text: if you replace it with <p>, you spare 39*3,000=117,000 characters.
Francois_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:36 AM   #1055
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
@Francois_C The zip compression used in epubs is likely to compress all those crazy_long_class_names down anyway, so I doubt you're saving space in the epub. Similarly all those slightly wordy <span class="bold"> ....things - any time you have repeated text that gets compressed really well.

You might save some RAM when the ereader has to open and uncompress the chapter though.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2016, 08:00 AM   #1056
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
@Francois_C The zip compression used in epubs is likely to compress all those crazy_long_class_names down anyway, so I doubt you're saving space in the epub. Similarly all those slightly wordy <span class="bold"> ....things - any time you have repeated text that gets compressed really well.

You might save some RAM when the ereader has to open and uncompress the chapter though.
You are saving space removing those long class names.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:29 AM   #1057
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, but as the file is compress, it probably isn't very much. Giving the classes easily understood names helps me a lot more than the small space saving that short names would give.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:48 AM   #1058
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post

I just tried an experiment removing my favoured way of managing paragraph styles (as an example, <p class="para"> for default body indented paragraphs) and replacing them with <p>. This did save some space (~ 21Kbytes) in the uncompressed file sizes reported when I opened the epub using 7Zip. OTOH, the size of the compressed epub file changed by a massive 8 bytes. As usual, ASCII text files compress rather well as the attached screen shot shows though the already compressed images are almost incompressible.

Personally, I didn't find the change enough to make changing my default stylesheet a worthwhile project.

The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact. — Thomas Henry Huxley
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Silence.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	147705  

Last edited by DNSB; 04-09-2016 at 12:54 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:15 AM   #1059
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, but as the file is compress, it probably isn't very much. Giving the classes easily understood names helps me a lot more than the small space saving that short names would give.
Also true. I think the main issue is as more complex a file is, as more it will tend to be slow. On a reader it is an issue to solve the use of resources anyway. This do not means to use cryptic expressions but to use everything with care and only where it is really necessarily.
There are arguments like on today's reader the issue is not as big as on older readers. True, but that's as well not all the time true too. Have a book with huge files within, complex styles and extensive usage of spans. Then you will find, that a high-end Reader also tend to be slow in navigation within the book. I (sometimes) do not recognize it reading a book page by page but when I navigate within the book it isn't really enjoying me and latest when I'm looking in the coding I see why that happen so often...
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:45 AM   #1060
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
How complex do you think these files are, @Divingduck? You may be right about them taking more resource to render/navigate, but it would be interesting to try and quantify that.

@DNSB's test showing an 8 byte saving was a good example :-)

I'd imagine more complex pages would require more energy, so you could count the number of page turns per battery charge, but that's such an enormous number already this would be practically difficult.

Could any of the desktop browser performance test suites be used on an ePub?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:18 PM   #1061
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But it does add to the page number ADE gives you. I like minimal code for more accurate page numbers with ADE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #1062
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
But it does add to the page number ADE gives you. I like minimal code for more accurate page numbers with ADE.
Jon, perhaps you might want to review the Adobe page number synthesis algorithm? Step one is quoted below:

Determine a compressed byte length of each resource which is referenced in the spine, subtracting any known encryption overhead (IV size)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:58 PM   #1063
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The wordiness of nested spans is not an issue so much as the additional effort required to render a more complex DOM.

But I suspect this conversation has outlived its usefulness.
Modify EPUB does not seem likely to include a tool for manipulating default font sizes, that is all that matters for the purpose of this thread -- let's not continue plaguing people with new post notifications for this thread and tricking them into thinking something interesting happened.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:58 PM   #1064
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Not sure if this is the right place but... Was just trying to add a cover to an epub. The current epub has the title page as the first page and I wanted to keep it. I can't seem to find a setting in Modify ePub to "add cover". There is "Insert or replace cover" which replaces the title page "cover" and that's it.

So to sum things up... kinda asking for a new feature of "add cover" whenever you do an update.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:15 PM   #1065
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
Not sure if this is the right place but... Was just trying to add a cover to an epub. The current epub has the title page as the first page and I wanted to keep it. I can't seem to find a setting in Modify ePub to "add cover". There is "Insert or replace cover" which replaces the title page "cover" and that's it.

So to sum things up... kinda asking for a new feature of "add cover" whenever you do an update.
I do this frequently to have Calibre show the 'Classic" cover (the one that is on my dead tree copy)

You need to 'undo' the current coverpage and IMAGE (symantic) declaration using an editor,
Then Modify or Polish will not stomp on those others , as the are no longer a 'cover'
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
modify epub