Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #46
khmann
Enthusiast
khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: b006
Legality? Just release a binary patch... probably only need to change a few bytes. And since it's not theft of service, I really doubt Amazon would take a hard-line approach to its own, paying, enthusiasts.

The Nook does something different when it updates the page; It looks weird... I feel like we've brute-forced just about every possible eInk update command, unless Nook is doing a special intermediate update image perhaps there is something interesting in the firmware. I believe both units use the same panel, and the Kindle loads firmware into it at boot.
khmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:42 PM   #47
rockiecxh
rockiecxh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G/WIFI
Hey guys, could you please share the command which start and stop the flash disabler in launchpad ini config file? Because the supplied link is not downloadable for me. Thanks
rockiecxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #48
rockiecxh

I'm using the following setting, but the script cannot be stop. what's the problem?

;; Enable Flash Disabler
F E = !/mnt/us/flashdisabler/FlashDisabler.sh &
;; Disable Flash Disabler
F D = !kill -SIGINT `cat /var/run/flashDis.pid` &
Old 08-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #49
rockiecxh

OK, I finally got it. I've used the wrong signal, it should be SIGTERM instead of SIGINT.
I Just feel that the fresh rate is a little low, and sometimes the system menu are messed up.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #50
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by khmann View Post
: ) I do not think the scripts are "bad", but results are algorhythm/content-specific, and I do not use them myself either. I still think it would be possible to do a "very-good" job by calculating a transition image less jarring then the full-screen-invert-flash, but it will be awhile before I personally get around to messing with that. I'm curious to see what K4 brings... And if I ever run across a copy of Nook STR eInk firmware I'll probably try loading that into the panel.

Regarding "hide progress bar", I wonder if we could just lie to the device and say resolution was 800x650, get it to draw the bar off-screen?
Does anyone know where that firmware could be stored, or at least its filename? I could ask someone with a Nook to send it to me if I have at least an idea of what I should ask :P
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #51
budalb
Enthusiast
budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-600
I have tried this hack. It is a great idea and make kindle update screen similarly as Nook Simple Touch. But I got one issue: The displayed fonts look of very low resolutions. BTW I used customized fonts and they display beautifully with screen flash enabled. Does anybody have the same issue? Any workaround?
budalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #52
dave1898465
dave1898465 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle read (keyboard)
It doesn't seem to work anymore...

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if this is still working as far as you know on kindle software 3.3 on a kindle 3/keyboard wifi.

I followed all of the steps below and it still didn't take:
1) install jailbreak
2) install usb networking (enabled, etc. on the device)
3) set up keys via putty
4) was able to log in via putty and WinSCP through wifi
5) note that I had to set it to read write mode though in order to do this, the default in WinSCP didn't let me write to the device w/o entering "mntroot rw" on the shell)
5) added the shortcut "S97local" to "/init.d/local" inside of "/etc/rc5.d"
6) added the text of "http://pastebin.com/pS83izMi" as file "/init.d/local" (i.e. where the above startup shortcut points to)

I rebooted and the flashing behavior didn't seem to change

through putty, I could log in and run various commands which definitely seem to change the behavior of the page turns ("echo 19 7 > /proc/eink_fb/update_display" & "echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/eink_fb.0/override_upd_mode")

but the more elaborate script at pastebin doesn't seem to take -- is there something not allowing this to work in the latest kindle software version 3.3?

is it possible to downgrade back to 3.x (whatever is compatible with this) in order to achieve this desired flashing behavior?

thanks guys
dave1898465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #53
demonseye316
demonseye316 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
did you guys send the script to amazon for development?
demonseye316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #54
sh0gunb0y
sh0gunb0y began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1898465 View Post
5) added the shortcut "S97local" to "/init.d/local" inside of "/etc/rc5.d"
how did u do this step ?

i was able to do the putty to enable RW on kindle and connect SSH to it. how do i operate the script into kindle. I tried to follow the OP but it didnt work out
sh0gunb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #55
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1898465 View Post
through putty, I could log in and run various commands which definitely seem to change the behavior of the page turns ("echo 19 7 > /proc/eink_fb/update_display" & "echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/eink_fb.0/override_upd_mode")

but the more elaborate script at pastebin doesn't seem to take -- is there something not allowing this to work in the latest kindle software version 3.3?
Hi dave, the script works for my kindle3 with kindle software 3.3. If you can manually toggle the effect with commands through putty, then the script should work for you(that's what the script does).

I recommend you to use this script with launchpad, so you can toggle the hacks on and off whenever you want. Following is my configuration file for launchpad:

Code:
[Actions]
;; reread hotkey sequence database
F E = !/Path/to/the/script/flashDis.sh &
;; install custom updates
F D = !kill -SIGTERM `cat /var/run/flashDis.pid` &
But most of the time, I turn this hack off because it sometimes black out the whole screen, forcing me to press home key to refresh it. This bug happened quite often when reading pdf. :-(
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #56
sh0gunb0y

hey dave2008, how did u put the script together using WinSCP ? i have SSH and putty everything on kindle. Can you give me little more detail here please ? thank you
Old 02-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #57
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0gunb0y View Post
hey dave2008, how did u put the script together using WinSCP ? i have SSH and putty everything on kindle. Can you give me little more detail here please ? thank you
Sry that I haven't test it with WinSCP because currently I dont have a windows system in my laptop. I use scp in my Linux and just put my scripts in /mnt/us/myhacks directory (any other directory should work too). then

Code:
F E = !/mnt/us/myhacks/flashDis.sh &
should be able to invoke the script. After reload launchpad, try "shift + f + e" to turn the hack on.

BTW, sry for the misleading comment in my previous code, it should be:

Code:
[Actions]
;; toggle flashDis hack on, disable flash
F E = !/Path/to/the/script/flashDis.sh &
;; toggle flashDis hack off, enable flash
F D = !kill -SIGTERM `cat /var/run/flashDis.pid` &

Last edited by dave2008; 02-01-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #58
sh0gunb0y

and the script for the flashDis.sh just from the website http://pastebin.com/pS83izMi rite ? do i need anything else ?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:51 PM   #59
dave2008
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0gunb0y View Post
and the script for the flashDis.sh just from the website http://pastebin.com/pS83izMi rite ? do i need anything else ?
yes, this script will handle everything for you :-) you can simply call this script in ssh for testing before calling it with launchpad.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #60
muness
muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Aura HD, Story HD, Sony PRS-350 (previous: Kindle Keyboard, PRS-505)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
yes, this script will handle everything for you :-) you can simply call this script in ssh for testing before calling it with launchpad.
Forgive my newbie-ness, but I am having trouble getting this working. I just got a warranty replacement Kindle Keyboard, installed jailbreak, launchpad, created the scripts as /mnt/us/myhacks/progRem.sh and flashDis.sh and added the following actions to launchpad:

Code:
;; toggle flashDis hack on, disable flash
F F = !/mnt/us/myhacks/flashDis.sh &
;; toggle flashDis hack off, enable flash
F N = !kill -SIGTERM `cat /var/run/flashDis.pid` &

;; toggle progRem hack on, disable progress bar
P P = !/mnt/us/myhacks/progRem.sh &
;; toggle progRem hack off, enable progress bar
P N = !kill -SIGTERM `cat /var/run/progRem.pid` &
When I run ^PP or ^FF (or ^PN or ^FN), I get a success, but the scripts themselves don't appear to be running.

Any idea what am I screwing up?
muness is offline   Reply With Quote