Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-18-2011, 01:28 AM   #1
mitch13
Groupie
mitch13 began at the beginning.

Device: Appraising the market
Calibre 0.8.1 - Editing Metadata

Not sure whether it is my computer but having trouble with Calibre locking up when I go to save alterations I have made to metadata. Does not happen all the time but very frequent. Must admit that I am running this on my work PC which is running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 installed (not a young PC running AMD processor at 1.67 GHz with just under 1Gb of memory).

Has anyone else had this problem?
mitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:47 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Can you give a few more details to the "locking up" part? What timescale are we talking about? Is this bulk metadata editing or single book metadata editing? What exactly are the symptoms of the program locking up? Where are you storing your library- locally or on a network storage?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch13 View Post
Not sure whether it is my computer but having trouble with Calibre locking up when I go to save alterations I have made to metadata. Does not happen all the time but very frequent. Must admit that I am running this on my work PC which is running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 installed (not a young PC running AMD processor at 1.67 GHz with just under 1Gb of memory).

Has anyone else had this problem?
Look at you HD activity LED,. Is it busy?
1G RAM on XP with Calibre and other programs running will use Swap space (your HD).
High HD fragmentation will add to the delays.
As long as it is running (see processes in the task manager), let her ride.

You might do the 'Library Maintenance' task on the Library icon. There may be damage to the DB from any of those 'kill process' you did.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
mitch13
Groupie

Wizard: 'Locking Up' - just freezes in metadata edit screen and does not return to Calibre main screen. It is single metadata editing and I have left it for several minutes before eventually closing Calibre (which it does OK and on reopening has saved my metadata changes. The Calibre library is stored on a USB stick so I can easily move between computers.
Calibre Cat: Will try leaving longer before getting savage and see if it works. Will also try your suggestion about 'library maintenance. Incidentally have a cat almost identical to your thumbnail photo (Burmese)!

Thanks to both of you for responding

mitch13
Old 05-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
mitch13
Groupie

Calibre Cat
Excuse the dumb question but I cannot find the 'Library Maintenance' task on the Library icon. All I get under this icon is 'Show Books in Calibre Library' and 'Switch/Create Library'.

mitch13
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Calibre Cat
Excuse the dumb question but I cannot find the 'Library Maintenance' task on the Library icon. All I get under this icon is 'Show Books in Calibre Library' and 'Switch/Create Library'.

mitch13
???? It s/b at the bottom of that list?
Are you on a MAC (I only run Linux and Win)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
mitch13
Groupie

No, Windows 7 - Home Premium
Old 05-20-2011, 01:52 AM   #8
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
I've had the same behaviour too. When the metadata-window remained on screen after clicking "ok", I just minimized calibre to the taskbar and maximized it again and the metadata-window was gone. I think it is a renedering problem only, but as I did not found a way to reproduce it, I did not open a ticket until now.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:27 AM   #9
mitch13
Groupie

I think you could be correct. I found on Friday that by taking it quietly and just ticking 'Done' on metadata and not screaming off to something else it seemed to behave itself. Time will tell!
Hi Calibre Cat - 'Library Maintenance" (am at home now in Windows 7 and Calibre0.8.2 and that option does appear. Must try updating my work PC from 0.8.1 to 0.8.2 to see if it is there.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:31 AM   #10
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Hi Calibre Cat - 'Library Maintenance" (am at home now in Windows 7 and Calibre0.8.2 and that option does appear. Must try updating my work PC from 0.8.1 to 0.8.2 to see if it is there.
The update isn't necessary for the item to appear. There should be a downward arrow just to the right of the library icon. Click that arrow, and a menu will drop down. That menu should contain an entry for library maintenance.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:29 AM   #11
mitch13
Groupie

Back again!
Still having problem with hanging after editing metadata. Not every time but even if I just take it very slowly and not skip to another task it still happens.
One thing I have noticed is that when it does do it it flashes the metadata screen ie it briefly disappears as though finished but then returns and hangs. Only option (after waiting for ages with it not recovering) is to close the main Calibre normally. On restarting Calibre the last book has updated OK.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try excluding the calibre library folder from your antivirus program.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
mitch13
Groupie

Thanks Kovid,

Seems to be working after excluding it.

John M