Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
seasong
seasong began at the beginning.

Device: none
I want my manuscripts to be read on mobilephones and PC. How?

Hi again out there. I posted something like this on another part of the forum, but maybe it was not the correct plase. (I am new to this forum)
I am not completely green as a writer, but this ebook thing is new to me, and I need some adwice.
I can use Microsoft word and photoshop.
Is this enough tools to make a decent ebook?
If Not. Are there some tools out there that are easy to use for a beginner, on which decent work can be done?
But most important of all: I want the work to be easely read om both mobilephones and PC. How do I do that?
( I Have made one try to make an ebook, but I just made some PDF files from
my word pages, and it did not work out so well)
Is there any free downloads to try out there that is decent?

Best regards
seasong
seasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Write and PROOF READ in Word, then import it into Sigil with your cover and other pictures to make an epub. Or convert the Word file using Calibre (you might need to save it as RTF first).
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
seasong

Thank you mr ploppy.
I will try out your sugestions,
Do you have any adwice for page setups and font sizes to use in word?

Best regards
seasong
Old 04-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
For a beginner whose source is Word documents, you should take a look at Atlantis, there's a thread on it here. It costs a small amount, but you get a trial. Sigil is free and very good, but to use it properly you need to know how to code in xhtml and css, it's more of a development environment than a converter. Calibre is good as well, but the source needs to be formatted quite precisely. I find that all the automatic converters need some touching-up after processing, but Atlantis probably gets closest to a professional output.

Just stick to 11 or 12pt font for the body and make sure you use styles for all your formatting.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:49 AM   #5
WAPatterson
Enthusiast
WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC Touchpro 2 Smartphone
If you really want a free way to get you books set up for Mobile phones and PCs then try out smashwords.com.
They have a formatting guide to set you through all the steps and then their "meatgrinder" will format everything for you from epubs, pdf's to HTML and JAVA based readers.
You DO NOT have to publish the book to the public when you are done or sell it there, but it is a free source online that does almost all the work for you and makes a really good product once you have formatted your ebook to the style guide specifics.
It's also free and you don't have to download anything!
I have copies of my book in every format from there backed up on my computer and I sell it there too, but you really can't beat the price and what they offer.
WAPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The font sizes are normally controlled by the e-book reading software/device, so you should not worry about that so much. You should not have "page layouts", per se, as screen sizes vary. The content should be as simply formatted as possible, if it is predominantly text.

OpenOffice, which is free, and has Writer, which is a Word replacement, generates much better HTML for conversion than M/S Word does.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Sigil is free and very good, but to use it properly you need to know how to code in xhtml and css, it's more of a development environment than a converter.
I wouldn't say that. In its design mode, it is very easy to make compliant ePub files without knowing any code.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
seasong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAPatterson View Post
If you really want a free way to get you books set up for Mobile phones and PCs then try out smashwords.com.
They have a formatting guide to set you through all the steps and then their "meatgrinder" will format everything for you from epubs, pdf's to HTML and JAVA based readers.
You DO NOT have to publish the book to the public when you are done or sell it there, but it is a free source online that does almost all the work for you and makes a really good product once you have formatted your ebook to the style guide specifics.
I have copies of my book in every format from there backed up on my computer and I sell it there too, but you really can't beat the price and what they offer.
Thank you Mr Patterson.
I will ofcourse take a look at smashwords.com.
and thank you for take your time to answer a "greenhorn"
Best regards
seasong
Old 05-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
seasong

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
The font sizes are normally controlled by the e-book reading software/device, so you should not worry about that so much. You should not have "page layouts", per se, as screen sizes vary. The content should be as simply formatted as possible, if it is predominantly text.

OpenOffice, which is free, and has Writer, which is a Word replacement, generates much better HTML for conversion than M/S Word does.
Thank you for cind reply Susan.
I have looked a little on Atlantis word prosessor. (Loaded down the trial version) They have a e-book template (basic e-book I think)
Now.I do not intend to write paper books, or a five houndred page novel.
Just some small to medium size e-books.
Do you think that Open office will be good enoungh for this?

Also, when you say that in a "normal" e- book the content should be as simply formated as possible Words and pictures)
Do this say that the e-book loks more like a wordpress side than an ordinary paper book.
( I am sorry, but this was the closest I could get to explain it)
Old 05-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
seasong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAPatterson View Post
I was looking a little on smashword.com. At this first glanse it looks wery promissing.
Thanks
Best regards
seasong
Old 05-14-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
WAPatterson
Enthusiast
WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC Touchpro 2 Smartphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasong View Post
I was looking a little on smashword.com. At this first glanse it looks wery promissing.
Thanks
Best regards
seasong
you're welcome. Hope it helps.
W. a.
WAPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote