Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 03:18 AM   #46
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Yeah for ePub !
And yeah, sony and regionals restrictions. The US site not being available to me was part the reason I chose the cybook.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:44 AM   #47
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yeah for ePub !
And yeah, sony and regionals restrictions. The US site not being available to me was part the reason I chose the cybook.
At the risk of repeating myself, the geographical restrictions can be easily bypassed simply by putting a different country of residence.
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:46 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is tough for those remaining PRS-500 owners, but strategically I think it's clearly the right thing to do. Kudos to Sony.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:47 AM   #49
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
The worst thing I read in ages...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht1948 View Post
OMG, this is fantastic news, ladies and gents.

http://www.teleread.org/2009/08/12/m...ts-own-format/

More details at Teleread courtersy of NYTimes

On Thursday, Sony Electronics, which sells e-book devices under the Reader brand, plans to announce that by the end of the year it will sell digital books only in the ePub format, an open standard created by a group including publishers like Random House and HarperCollins.

Sony will also scrap its proprietary anticopying software in favor of technology from the software maker Adobe that restricts how often e-books can be shared or copied.

After the change, books bought from Sony’s online store will be readable not just on its own device but on the growing constellation of other readers that support ePub. Those include the Plastic Logic eReader, a thin device that has been in development for nearly a decade and is expected to go on sale early next year.

“There is going to be a proliferation of different reading devices, with different features and capabilities and prices for a different set of consumer requirements,” said Steve Haber, president of Sony’s digital reading unit. “If people are going to this e-book shopping mall, they are going to want to shop at all the stores, and not just be required to shop at one store.”
You shouldn't be happy at all, your beloved ePub format now in the hands of Sony and Adobe. Oops, there goes freedom outta da window.

This sounds kinda like "Microsoft is now completely switching to Linux!". D'you think this would be good news?! A once free & open format in the hands of some greedy monopolists...

Read my lips: As soon as a format has DRM, it's neither free nor open anymore!

And you "I like stripping Adobe DRM from my eBooks"-people - in most countries this is considered a crime and like nobody has ever been thinking (me included) the music industry would start sueing single users, they'll be coming after you.

Sorry folks, but this is just a smart business move against Amazon and it's all about money & power. Stop thinking of Sony like they're the Free Liberation Front. You're just changing one lock for another...

Last edited by gerraldo; 08-13-2009 at 03:49 AM.
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:48 AM   #50
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
At the risk of repeating myself, the geographical restrictions can be easily bypassed simply by putting a different country of residence.
Question of principles. They don't want to sell to me, so I don't want to buy

Quote:
True. good point gerraldo.
But DRM can be removed
Drm ePub is still an improvement on drm proprietary format.
Hopefully, someday, publishers will ditch drm altogether.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 08-13-2009 at 03:52 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:55 AM   #51
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur
Alan Baxter doesn't litterAlan Baxter doesn't litter

Device: Laptop for now, iPhone soon.
You think ePub will become the standard format?
Alan Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:55 AM   #52
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Hopefully, someday, publishers will ditch drm altogether.
Now this would really be something to cheer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Baxter View Post
You think ePub will become the standard format?
I'm afraid it looks like...

Last edited by gerraldo; 08-13-2009 at 03:58 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:04 AM   #53
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post

And you "I like stripping Adobe DRM from my eBooks"-people - in most countries this is considered a crime and like nobody has ever been thinking (me included) the music industry would start sueing single users, they'll be coming after you.

Sorry folks, but this is just a smart business move against Amazon and it's all about money & power. Stop thinking of Sony like they're the Free Liberation Front. You're just changing one lock for another...
Adding DRM to a format doesn't make the format itself closed. It only makes that DRM'd book closed.

And your comparison with the music branch isn't correct. People stripped the DRM and then redistributed those files again. They won't go after you if you don't redistribute or download from illegal sources.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:11 AM   #54
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Adding DRM to a format doesn't make the format itself closed. It only makes that DRM'd book closed.

And your comparison with the music branch isn't correct. People stripped the DRM and then redistributed those files again. They won't go after you if you don't redistribute or download from illegal sources.
Exactly, if you do your own reconversion and keep the book for yourself, nobody will be the wiser anyway. So remember, don't distribute!

On a side note:

Sony's move is clearly an economical, too. With the move to ePub, Sony will be able to get rid of their conversion division and as the DRM will be supported by Overdrive and not by Sony in house, their will be a hefty economical gain for Sony in this!

All the better as Sony is not faring too well lately!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:12 AM   #55
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Now, if just anybody could send me a PM how to (theoretically, of course) strip DRM off epub - just for academic reserach, that is -, I'd be much obliged.

EDIT: Okay, that's solved.

Last edited by K-Thom; 08-13-2009 at 04:26 AM.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:20 AM   #56
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
This will give me mixed feeling until they clarify how they are going to handle my existing purchases...
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:25 AM   #57
ravenlife
Connoisseur
ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenlife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
love it! great news!

just need amazon to follow suit now
ravenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:30 AM   #58
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Exclamation

Quote:
Wrong - in Germany the act of removing a copy protection is considered a crime.

One might argue that DRM is not copy protection but remember: the inconvenience of court case is often punishment on its own.

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:30 AM   #59
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:

OK, agreed... But what if Sonys next move is to only support DRMed ePubs and Adobes to only licence their ePub-DRM if you just support DRMed ePubs?! Now that would be a smart move...

And sure, I exaggerated things a bit, but for lots of people out there DRM-stripping leads to sharing (often just between friends, but sharing anyways - I do that with my pBooks all the time).

Last edited by gerraldo; 08-13-2009 at 04:33 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:48 AM   #60
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
Wrong - in Germany the act of removing a copy protection is considered a crime.

One might argue that DRM is not copy protection but remember: the inconvenience of court case is often punishment on its own.

Martin
Bah. No harm, no foul.
And publishers should tanks the people who made the scripts to strip off DRM actually.