Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > BBeB/LRF Books (offline)

Notices

Old 11-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Drib, Dr. [Editor]: Dead Bodies Everywhere. v2. 20 Nov 08

CORRECTED in this version 2:

1) I discovered antialiasing and used this to smooth out all letters on the cover

2) In the pulps (I used to own thousands of them), the first few capital letters in a word(s) signified a break in the text. This was done for many reasons, most notably to break up the gray text into segments; but also, to signify time and scene breaks. (I've read a number of Ph.D Dissertations on the signifcance of breaks in a text.) Following that example, I hit the enter key where all capital letters occur within the text, thus retaining the time/scene breaks as the stories were originally printed in these old pulps.

3) A couple of typos. More will be discovered, of course.

PLEASE Download Version 2.

Now to the boring matter below:

These stories were released under a Creative Commons License with a link to the stories here. There is additional acknowledgment AND a link again placed at the end of the book. All stories acquired from Munsey's; however, THIS ENTIRE BOOK WAS CREATED AND FORMATTED BY ME TO MY SPECIFICATIONS.

Additionally, every story was taken by Munsey's from Pulpgen.

Body on the Beach:
http://www.munseys.com/diskfive/bodbedex.htm

The Case of the Squealing Duck
http://www.munseys.com/book/24287/Ca...ling_Duck,_The

Claw of the Kidnapped Idol
http://www.munseys.com/book/24265/Cl...Kidnapped_Idol

Clip-Joint Chisellers
http://www.munseys.com/book/19465/Clip-Joint_Chisellers

Close to a Corpse
http://www.munseys.com/book/26489/Close_To_A_Corpse

Coffin Custodian
http://www.munseys.com/book/28385/Coffin_Custodian

Deadline For Murder
http://www.munseys.com/book/26661/Deadline_for_Murder

Death on Pine Street
http://www.munseys.com/book/14397/DEATH_ON_PINE_STREET

Dealer In Human Parts
http://www.munseys.com/book/24598/Dealer_In_Human_Parts

Dibble Dabbles In Death
http://www.munseys.com/book/24554/Di...bbles_In_Death

[End of boring material.]

Tired of the mundane? Tired of all the rants , ravings, and ramblings that fill our lives?

Then come with me and take a walk along those dark alleys where crime flourished..at least for a time.

I've assembled 10 stories of detection and mystery from the old days of the pulps, when entertainment meant something.

Like all the books I assemble on MobileRead, this too was assembled to reflect human intervention and artistic judgment.

I hope you enjoy it. I know I did!

Don

NOTE: This is my 400 book I've assembled. Wait 'til I tell you about the next 400 !!!!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I would jump on these in a heartbeat...if they were available in .prc format........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if you'd like to send me the html0, I'll make a PRC no problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
if you'd like to send me the html0, I'll make a PRC no problem.
This weekend (like tomorrow), I plan to start playing around with Mobipocket Creator. If I can't figure it out by the end of the day (or if I get frustrated), I'll give you first stab it and give you the html0 file -- with my thanks, as well.

And desertgrandma, don't worry. Learning Mobipocket and making my assemblages available in both formats is now a primary objective that I have.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Dr. D, I assume you are not using Bookdesigner for your LRF's? In the past I have created the LRF, prc and Imp files from the same BD file.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Dr. D, I assume you are not using Bookdesigner for your LRF's? In the past I have created the LRF, prc and Imp files from the same BD file.
I do use BD, except for (I think) one or two titles I assembled using Calibre.

I don't have a Reader for Mobipocket. How good (accurate) is the Mobipocket Reader when viewing on a computer?

Don
Old 11-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #7
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I don't have a Reader for Mobipocket. How good (accurate) is the Mobipocket Reader when viewing on a computer?

Don
That I can't answer. I have a Kindle so I use that to confirm the prc formatting. And since I have an EB-1150, I use that to confirm the Imp formatting. (and of course a PRS 505 for the LRF formatting).

Perhaps another ebook creator can let you know how accurate Mobipocket reader is. If not I will check it out tonight after work.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
That I can't answer. I have a Kindle so I use that to confirm the prc formatting. And since I have an EB-1150, I use that to confirm the Imp formatting. (and of course a PRS 505 for the LRF formatting).

Perhaps another ebook creator can let you know how accurate Mobipocket reader is. If not I will check it out tonight after work.
Ok, thanks. Sounds good.

Don
Old 11-20-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
I do use BD, except for (I think) one or two titles I assembled using Calibre.

Don
Very good. There are some emulation viewers in Mobi Creator, too.
About the BD, I am not too sure, as I use my trusty Notetab to edit html files to feed Creator, sometimes aided by NVU. I think that , generally, you should be able to directly use those htmlO files if you rename them.

Last edited by mtravellerh; 11-20-2008 at 04:25 PM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Very good. There are some emulation viewers in Mobi Creator, too.
About the BD, I am not too sure, as I use my trusty Notetab to edit html files to feed Creator, sometimes aided by NVU. I think that , generally, you should be able to directly use those htmlO files if you rename them.
I'll look at all of that, my friend.

Thanks,
Don
Old 11-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
This weekend (like tomorrow), I plan to start playing around with Mobipocket Creator. If I can't figure it out by the end of the day (or if I get frustrated), I'll give you first stab it and give you the html0 file -- with my thanks, as well.

And desertgrandma, don't worry. Learning Mobipocket and making my assemblages available in both formats is now a primary objective that I have.

hooray!!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Don:

I have found the PC version of Mobipocket viewer to be very good. It is better than the Mobi viewer for my cell phone (Samsung i500 running Palm OD 4.5.) It is my favorite reading software for reading on my PC.

I have used both Mobipocket generation from BookDesigner and also from Mobigen. Harry's tutorial on Mobigen is another one of his high-quality guides. It is worth every penny you pay for it and then some.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:41 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
If you are still using BookCreator. MobiCreator does a bang up job at creating MOBI Files directly from the MS Word document. With little to no effort.

The hardest step is to remember to use the syntax below when creating the Table of Contents

p,name, 2CHAPTERTITLE
p,name, 21CHAPTERSUBTITLE

See picture (link)

Last edited by =X=; 11-20-2008 at 05:44 PM. Reason: updated link to the bigger image
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:00 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
If you are still using BookCreator. MobiCreator does a bang up job at creating MOBI Files directly from the MS Word document. With little to no effort.

The hardest step is to remember to use the syntax below when creating the Table of Contents

p,name, 2CHAPTERTITLE
p,name, 21CHAPTERSUBTITLE

See picture (link)
Much thanks for the advice and the jpeg. I've saved it and will look at all this today (Friday).

Don
Old 11-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

CORRECTED in this version 2:

1) I discovered antialiasing and used this to smooth out all letters on the cover

2)
In the pulps (I used to own thousands of them), the first few capital letters in a word(s) signified a break in the text. This was done for many reasons, most notably to break up the gray text into segments; but also, to signify time and scene breaks. (I've read a number of Ph.D Dissertations on the signifcance of breaks in a text.) Following that example, I hit the enter key where all capital letters occur within the text, thus retaining the time/scene breaks as the stories were originally printed in these old pulps.

3) A couple of typos. More will be discovered, of course.

PLEASE Download Version 2.

Thanks,
Don