Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Wow, iOS7 is simply gorgeous on the iPad Mini

As with most people, I was really, really depressed when I saw iOS7 for the first time. It freaked me out. I thought it looked tacky and disgusting. I thought that this would be the last iOS based device I would ever get.

The iPad beta came out today, and all I can say is wow. It's gorgeous. Especially for us readers, it's a great update.

The mostly white scheme makes for a nice touch because the invert colors feature is much more useful. There's also a new feature called "Dynamic Larger Type" which will let you set the font size for your apps (ranging from smaller than the standard up to HUGE). You can also now bold the text, increase contrast on some of the backgrounds, and even turn off the new background effects.

Definitely cool so far.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I'll do my update tomorrow morning I hope its better than the previous beta.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Please keep us posted on the battery life with OS7.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Psh. I do too much heavy stuff in iOS to really worry about that. Always been like 7 hours max for me. I'll try though.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Thanks for sharing your impressions. I remember your initial reaction, and I was concerned too. Glad to hear it is much better than you were expecting. Keep us posted please on any other cool features you discover.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Actually I'm more concerned with battery life of OS7 on an iPhone. My iPad is not a concern as it lasts and lasts!
Old 06-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #7
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Usually battery life only gets worked on at the end of iOS betas. The early ones always use more juice.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think I'll look into it but I'm not much for Betas.

I assume some apps don't work, right?
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Sounds good. I think I'll wait until the official release to get it on my mini.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
When testing Marvin for iOS 7 (beta 2) I discovered that apps that use the built-in dictionary crash when defining a word (including Marvin, iBooks and other readers). Can anyone running the beta confirm this?
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:18 AM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
When testing Marvin for iOS 7 (beta 2) I discovered that apps that use the built-in dictionary crash when defining a word (including Marvin, iBooks and other readers). Can anyone running the beta confirm this?
I just tested it for you, and yeah, I can confirm this. Beta 3 will be out on the 8th, hopefully that it'll be one of the things fixed.

I would NOT install the beta if anyone is really thinking about it. I haven't had my touchscreen stop working today as I just picked up the iPad just now, but it has happened at least 10 times now.

It's not so much apps not working, it's the OS that has issues.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:21 AM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually I'm more concerned with battery life of OS7 on an iPhone. My iPad is not a concern as it lasts and lasts!
Its much better on b2 than it was on b1. They always screw up battery life on the first beta, but it was so bad, I downgraded til b2 came out. As an example... b1 overnight killed 20% of my battery. b2 killed 1%. Massive difference.

Today, with normal use and no additional recharging, that is, for me, a few texts and a little reading with Stanza, its down to 75% after 12 hours. I'm pretty happy with it now.

Best thing for me about iOS7 on the phone is being able to block callers. I have had a pesky marketing call coming in 3-4 times a day... until I reupgraded and put "Total Pest" into my contact list... and blocked it. JOY!!

I still hate the flat UI, but like iPhone/iOS more than Android so will keep on keeping on.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:23 AM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I just tested it for you, and yeah, I can confirm this. Beta 3 will be out on the 8th, hopefully that it'll be one of the things fixed.

I would NOT install the beta if anyone is really thinking about it. I haven't had my touchscreen stop working today as I just picked up the iPad just now, but it has happened at least 10 times now.

It's not so much apps not working, it's the OS that has issues.
Can confirm that on my phone too, but so far only in messages, and not all the time. Weird, didnt do it on b1.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #14
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
hope they dont remove the phone number blocker , had to buy an app for that as my iphone didnt have it but my old phone did

was very surprised a modern touch screen phone like my apple didnt have this in the last ios . my other was a non touch screen phone about 10 yeas old
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sian View Post
hope they dont remove the phone number blocker , had to buy an app for that as my iphone didnt have it but my old phone did

was very surprised a modern touch screen phone like my apple didnt have this in the last ios . my other was a non touch screen phone about 10 yeas old
What app do you use? BTW, phone carriers in the USA tend to not support number blocking without a good reason. And when they do allow it they usually charge extra for the service. I'm currently using the blocking method wherein I created a contact named "Ignore" and add the phone numbers I want to ignore. I then set the ring tone to use a "silent" tone (which I had to record), set the vibrate to off, etc. The "Ignore" calls still come through but I don't usually notice them because the iPhone doesn't sound a tone or vibrate for them. Clunky, but it works. I would prefer a good app though.