Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #451
Gauthier
Enthusiast
Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauthier View Post
No Problem.
I'll check to see if the Module variables instance are at the document level, as I tough.
Sigh, you are right, All the VB variables appears to be at the macro-template Level.
we will need to encapsulate them in a class associated to the ActiveDocument and instanced on Open/Document New.

We will also need to recover the correct set at the start off each Public Macro accessible trough the UI.
I'll convert some Sub to Function, to hide them in the Macros Dialog
Then For the function we can assume the current document variables is still correct.

A side benefit is that, in any case of code Reset, the macros will still work.
The previous code required to save and open again.
Gauthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #452
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I've setup a google code project with cvs access.
I have choosen a GNUv3 Licence.
If that bother you, I suppose it is possible to shut it down, before we upload code to it.
http://code.google.com/p/word-ebook-creator/
If you can send me your gmail address to gvanvreckem AT gmail.com, I'll add you as owner.
No I don't mind, I think it's a good ideal. PM has been sent.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Not sure if I posted this already but Kovid has confirmed that we can use HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\calibre\Installer\Inst allPath
to determine the path where calibre is installed.
That's not present on my system I did an Uninstall of Calibre and installed again in another folder to be sure and it's still not there.
Kovid mentioned there was no reg key for thumb drive installs. I does not sound like you have a thumb drive install, do you?

If not have you searched your registry, if not look for "calibre" and see if you find a similar path.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #453
Gauthier
Enthusiast
Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
No I don't mind, I think it's a good ideal. PM has been sent.

Kovid mentioned there was no reg key for thumb drive installs. I does not sound like you have a thumb drive install, do you?

If not have you searched your registry, if not look for "calibre" and see if you find a similar path.

=X=
I've added you, you can upload your last public version.

It's the version downloaded from within Calibre (calibre-0.8.38.msi)
It's certainly doesn't look like a thumb drive install (which is a ZIP IIRC).

I had searched the registry a few day ago
There are lots of reference to that path in the registry, but nothing I believe to be reliable (the old path is also present alongside it or the registry path where found may not be stable across versions/installs)
I searched again, and it remains the same

The best Match I Have is
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\02A5DE04D71355652BEA0CF8766245DA]
"73CAA41DCF834544C9CE3BDC8061234C"="C:\\Progra m Files (x86)\\Calibre3\\calibre.exe"

But S-1-5-18 is probably user dependent and 02A5DE04D71355652BEA0CF8766245DA installer dependent...

Last edited by Gauthier; 02-09-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #454
Portland Bill
Portland Bill began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong. I download the zipfile for Windows 2003 (i.e. not 2007). I open it and get zilch. Just a normal new document template. I've tried adding the template but I still don't get any buttons etc as shown in the picture on page 1 of this thread.
Help
Portland Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #455
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Bill View Post
Hi can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong. I download the zipfile for Windows 2003 (i.e. not 2007). I open it and get zilch. Just a normal new document template. I've tried adding the template but I still don't get any buttons etc as shown in the picture on page 1 of this thread.
Help
Are you double clicking on the BookCreator.dot file?
Also do you have macros disabled -- (BookCreator is a template with macros so you must allow macros to run)?

Last if the answer to the two questions is yes. Can you post a screen capture here to see what exactly you are (not) seeing.

Something else to try is right clicking on the toolbar and look for the menus "BookCreator" and "BookCreatorEBook". Sometimes the macros do not enable the menus and they have to be manually enabled.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 02-15-2012 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Added more troubleshooting
Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #456
camino real
Enthusiast
camino real is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
Does Bookcreator work with Office Starter? I ask this as I've downloaded the program but when I double click on it all I see is my Word main screen with no changes. I can't find any way of enabling macros and I'm at a bit of a loss. Any help would be much appreciated.
camino real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #457
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by camino real View Post
Does Bookcreator work with Office Starter? I ask this as I've downloaded the program but when I double click on it all I see is my Word main screen with no changes. I can't find any way of enabling macros and I'm at a bit of a loss. Any help would be much appreciated.
I don't belive it does. While I could not find a list of supported features on the MS web site an external website confirmed that Office Starter does not support VBA(macros). Since the BookCreator tool is written in VBA it will not work.

Quote:
Word, even though it does basic word processing and has many of the everyday features available, does not do justice for students. The headers and footers, as well as macros and VBA, are nowhere to be found. Anyone using Word for more than casual or light use (especially students) will probably want to purchase the Home and Student Edition for these reasons, if nothing else. (more...)
Old 02-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #458
camino real
Enthusiast
camino real is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
Thanks for providing such a useful answer! I may have to buy MS Office...
camino real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #459
=X=
Wizard

@ Gauthier: Okay so I had some time last night to test the code you suggested in post #445 (link).

A couple things. The "Public const ..." works on 2003 so I'll update both 2003/2007 to use that new syntax. Don't recall why I used set/get. I think that was an old VB habit (dating myself i know).

The second part has me concerned, I don't think we want to put everything in the registry, just external and user settings. I see BC having three types of data. Template data, book data, and user performances.

User pref should go in the reg. For instance calibre's location, book creation preferences.

However template data should be kept in the template. An example is the FIRST_RUN variable.

Book data such as publisher, author name, tags should be kept in the document properties data.

That said if I'll try to get around to updated the code this weekend and posting the code up to the website you created.

=X=
Old 02-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #460
Gauthier
Enthusiast

Quote:
@ Gauthier: Okay so I had some time last night to test the code you suggested in post #445 (link).

A couple things. The "Public const ..." works on 2003 so I'll update both 2003/2007 to use that new syntax. Don't recall why I used set/get. I think that was an old VB habit (dating myself i know).

The second part has me concerned, I don't think we want to put everything in the registry, just external and user settings. I see BC having three types of data. Template data, book data, and user performances.

User pref should go in the reg. For instance calibre's location, book creation preferences.

However template data should be kept in the template. An example is the FIRST_RUN variable.

Book data such as publisher, author name, tags should be kept in the document properties data.

That said if I'll try to get around to updated the code this weekend and posting the code up to the website you created.

=X=
I'm still rewriting much of the code to allow work on multiple book simultaneously.
I've made the dialog non modal and work with multiple independent instance of the form (one per opened book).
However, I'm not sure If I'll leave the dialog non modal: It works, but when moving the document between screens, the dialog doesn't follow, that make it awkward. I may try to remove the dialog completely in favor of additional Custom Ribbon Tabs which are docked and follow the document. But I'm not sure if it is really possible.

FIRST_RUN doesn't seems to be needed in the 2007/2010 version. It's only real use is in creating the old 2003 menu. Is there any other real template variables?

To handle multiple document, I have also totally reworked the Document_New, Document_Open and Document_Close macro along with the init/first run code
and migrated that to a DocumentChange event handler and AutoExec and AutoExit macro See a Reference:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ice.10%29.aspx
The Document Change event is also used to switch variables context and invalidate the portions of the CustomUI I made dynamic (and thus refresh them). (Still need to prevent document switch while calibre generation is in progress...)

I've also extensively renamed variables and Forms element to stay consistent in the prefix.

I'm currently stuck with a bug in vbaLoadPictureGDI which seems to work in excel, but not in word. I intended to use that as cover previewer (it support png images which the standard VB forms image control doesn't).

I hope to have something sufficiently stabilized to share the code this Week-End.

A side question, is there any interest in those new features:

1 Optionally using the word pdf generator instead of the calibre one.
Adding it should not be much work: just import the cover and add a save.

2 Adding a RTF output, same level of work as the PDF with much overlapping.

3 Making the cover optional on a format Basis or when a cover is specified Generate a version with cover and without or a combination thereof.

Last edited by Gauthier; 02-20-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #461
Portland Bill

Quote:
Are you double clicking on the BookCreator.dot file?
Also do you have macros disabled -- (BookCreator is a template with macros so you must allow macros to run)?

Last if the answer to the two questions is yes. Can you post a screen capture here to see what exactly you are (not) seeing.

Something else to try is right clicking on the toolbar and look for the menus "BookCreator" and "BookCreatorEBook". Sometimes the macros do not enable the menus and they have to be manually enabled.

=X=
Hi Wizard,

Thanks for your reply. I have now enabled macros and I now get the toolbars.

I have set my macro level to Medium.

I have imported a Word 2003 file which has been formatted ready to be converted for Kindle. I selected Inst TOC. I get a message Run time error 5981 Could not open Macro storage.

I am logged on with a Microsoft User account as opposed to an Admin account.

I feel I am on the cusp of making this work, it's just the macro storage is stopping me.

Regards

Frank
Old 02-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #462
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Bill View Post
I have imported a Word 2003 file which has been formatted ready to be converted for Kindle. I selected Inst TOC. I get a message Run time error 5981 Could not open Macro storage.
I believe the error was mine. I removed a supported format that nobody used. That format required another application besides calibre. It appears I never removed the dependency or that app.

Try this zip file and see if it fixes the problem. If it does please let me know so I can update the file on the first post.

=X=
Attached Files
File Type: zip BookCreator_2003_v3.5.02.zip (162.3 KB, 480 views)
Old 02-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #463
=X=
Wizard

Quote:

I'm currently stuck with a bug in vbaLoadPictureGDI which seems to work in excel, but not in word. I intended to use that as cover previewer (it support png images which the standard VB forms image control doesn't).

I hope to have something sufficiently stabilized to share the code this Week-End.

A side question, is there any interest in those new features:

1 Optionally using the word pdf generator instead of the calibre one.
Adding it should not be much work: just import the cover and add a save.

2 Adding a RTF output, same level of work as the PDF with much overlapping.

3 Making the cover optional on a format Basis or when a cover is specified Generate a version with cover and without or a combination thereof.
Yes those features would be nice.

Calibre PDF never did a good job so I'm fine with using the word. However I'd like to add an option in the calibre tab to give the user the option to overide the word PDF and use calibre instead.

I'm not opposed to RTF format but I don't see the value of using BookCreator to create an RTF when the user can simply do a "Save As...". Might the value be that the user can bulk create different formats?

Another set of features I would like to add to the BookCreator dialog box is the ablility to change the Author name and file name.

Right now there is only one layout, and that happens to be my perf. choice.

Lastname, Firstname - Book Title

I'd like to add a sticky setting that changes the authors name to Firstname Lastname

And also swap the Book title and Author name

So folks can have their preferred layout

Firstname Lastname - Book Title
Book Title - Lastname, Firstname
Book Title - Firstname Lastname
Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #464
Gauthier
Enthusiast

Quote:
Another set of features I would like to add to the BookCreator dialog box is the ablility to change the Author name and file name.

Right now there is only one layout, and that happens to be my perf. choice.

I'd like to add a sticky setting that changes the authors name to Firstname Lastname

And also swap the Book title and Author name

So folks can have their preferred layout

Firstname Lastname - Book Title
Book Title - Lastname, Firstname
Book Title - Firstname Lastname
For those I intended to have the setting
strPublishTo:
A String which after substitution of the *var* parts will designate a full save path.
Examples:
*samedir*\*samename*.*formatext*
*samedir*\*publisher*\*title* - *author*.*formatext*
*samedir*\*publisher*\*title* - *sortauthor*.*formatext*
*formatdir*\*author*\*title* - *author*.*formatext*
C:\Users\Gauthier\Documents\Library\*author*\*titl e* - *author*.*formatext*

*samedir* Meaning same directory as the word document
*samename* Meaning same name as the word document
*publisher* Meaning the current word document property 'company' property value
*title* Meaning the book title
*formatdir* Meaning the a format specific folder (an option for each format)
*formatext* Meaning the format extension
*y* *m* *d* Meaning creation date parts
*author* Meaning the author name as Firstname Lastname
*sortauthor* Meaning the author name as Lastname, Firstname

Those are inspired by DownThemAll renaming mask feature
Old 02-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #465
Portland Bill

Quote:
I believe the error was mine. I removed a supported format that nobody used. That format required another application besides calibre. It appears I never removed the dependency or that app.

Try this zip file and see if it fixes the problem. If it does please let me know so I can update the file on the first post.

=X=
Thankyou very much. That solved the problem.

Regards

Frank